or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car? - Page 2

post #16 of 124
The computer controlled clutch, flappy-paddle gearbox is the way of the future. The stick that stirs your soul is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.
post #17 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry View Post
Me, I learned to drive on a manual(04 civic si) and I still do. When I buy my next car it will be automatic as well. Not a fan of automatics, and really not a fan of 'manumatic' mode on an automatic car.

OP makes no sense at all.

I drive manual, always have, and hope I always will. Though I just drove a rental car in Europe (brand-new VW Golf) with the new DSG transmission and I really, really enjoyed it. I could see myself driving a car with a similar paddle-shifting transmission, particularly if they become more common (and I'm sure they will).

EDIT: Just saw cq's post, and obviously I totally agree.
post #18 of 124
I'll edit my edit with one more thought: the automatic transmission as we know it is probably also going the way of the dinosaur, and the CVT takes its place. In 10 years, we'll see almost exclusively electronically-controlled clutched transmissions (eg paddle-shifters) and CVTs. I wonder if we'll still call them manual and auto.
post #19 of 124
One of each, BMW auto and Civic SI standard
post #20 of 124
I have paddles and automatics. Currently no manuals and probably wouldn't buy a new car with a manual, though I look forward to adding some manual classic cars!
post #21 of 124
[quote=TheFusilliJerry;2276673]Domes your car have a manual transmission or automatic?

I have a manual 911 C4S in Boston.
post #22 of 124
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
OP makes no sense at all.

I drive manual, always have, and hope I always will. Though I just drove a rental car in Europe (brand-new VW Golf) with the new DSG transmission and I really, really enjoyed it. I could see myself driving a car with a similar paddle-shifting transmission, particularly if they become more common (and I'm sure they will).

EDIT: Just saw cq's post, and obviously I totally agree.


hehe i've been making typos all day. Should read:

Me, I learned to drive on a manual(04 civic si) and I still do[drive a manual car]. When I buy my next car it will be manual as well. Not a fan of automatics, and really not a fan of 'manumatic' mode on an automatic car.
post #23 of 124
Both.
post #24 of 124
I can drive both, but currently only own automatics, since my wife cannot drive standard and I want to be able to swap cars when necessary.
post #25 of 124
grew up on manual. gotta love it! automatics are ok i guess, but if i were to buy a car (been living in a city using public transport) i'd start looking at manual cars first.
post #26 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I'll edit my edit with one more thought: the automatic transmission as we know it is probably also going the way of the dinosaur, and the CVT takes its place. In 10 years, we'll see almost exclusively electronically-controlled clutched transmissions (eg paddle-shifters) and CVTs. I wonder if we'll still call them manual and auto.

I agree on the CVT, almost every domestic car in Japan has a CVT option or is the only style of auto available.
post #27 of 124
My summer car is a manual. My daily driver is an autotragic, just due to the fact that driving in traffic with a manual trans. is a major pain in the ass. My first car (now my summer ride) was a manual and I'll always prefer a manual over auto. I also taught my fiance to drive a manual transmission and she loves it!
post #28 of 124
Auto but my first car was a standard 320i BMW.
post #29 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquik View Post
The computer controlled clutch, flappy-paddle gearbox is the way of the future. The stick that stirs your soul is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

Dunno man, there's an awful lot you can do with a "standard manual" that you can't do with SMG/DKG/etc.

BMW 330i manual here.
post #30 of 124
^^^I agree. I drove my manual today and loved every minute of it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?