• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Fashion Discussion

fireshower

Reaction score
I've been reading the forums and getting ideas for quite a while now, but I noticed that a lot of fashions aren't accessible for college students who get by on ramen and water.

Generally it's my policy to look slightly better than anybody else, but not so much such that I stick out or anything. A subtle chicness if you will.

A typical day generally looks like:
  • No Design Fitted Tee (BR, Gap)
  • Random Blue Jeans (R&R, TR, etc.)
  • Black Etnies

If I'm dressing for a date or something, I usually try to dress better, but still not too stuffily. That usually ends up with me wearing a fitted black button down, or just throwing an H&M overcoat on top of a shirt.

I was wondering whether anybody has any suggestions as to how I can expand my wardrobe. I'm specifically looking for affordable dress shoes which will go with jeans, and casual button downs which aren't just the standard black.

Also, what do you folks do about shorts? I feel like khaki cargo type shorts were never fashionable, and the quicksilver plaid type is questionable.

If it helps, I'm 5'7, asian, and have a fairly slender build.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? What aesthetic are you after?

fireshower

Reaction score
I'm not exactly THAT poor, but I'd rather not spend over 40 dollars for a shirt, and say 100 dollars for a pair of shoes. If it will complement my wardrobe well, I don't mind making investments though.

I'm basically going for a very casual, yet more refined street look. Nothing too classy or old fashioned.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its hard to find a nice shirt under $100, let alone shoes.

fireshower

Reaction score
Thanks for the links APK, I went digging and apparently I fail at effectively using the search function. I'll do some more browsing around.

Sorry if this makes me sound completely ignorant, but what should I expect to pay for a low end pair of dress shoes? I know I only spent like 120 on a pair of Bostonians, but those were just concert shoes.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fireshower
Thanks for the links APK, I went digging and apparently I fail at effectively using the search function. I'll do some more browsing around.

Sorry if this makes me sound completely ignorant, but what should I expect to pay for a low end pair of dress shoes? I know I only spent like 120 on a pair of Bostonians, but those were just concert shoes.

Most people consider Allen Edmonds low end dress shoes and those run from $250+ but can be had cheaper on eBay. I suggest you start thrifting.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Ebay is probably a good place to look. I'm planning on buying a pair of vintage Florsheim wingtips soon.

also...special flower

+1
The other day I got some vintage Florsheim longwings off ebay for $10

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey check out the B&S forums for shoes. I bought a pair of vintage florshiem longboats for $22 and they get a good amount of wear.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Its hard to find a nice shirt under $100, let alone shoes.
Bollocks!!!!!!. Get on Ebay. You'll find plenty of dress shirts and shoes from established European brands for under a $100. If you have a sharp eye you can find what you want on that kind of budget, also better quality than H&M and similar crapola.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fireshower
I've been reading the forums and getting ideas for quite a while now, but I noticed that a lot of fashions aren't accessible for college students who get by on ramen and water.

Generally it's my policy to look slightly better than anybody else, but not so much such that I stick out or anything. A subtle chicness if you will.

A typical day generally looks like:
  • No Design Fitted Tee (BR, Gap)
  • Random Blue Jeans (R&R, TR, etc.)
  • Black Etnies

If I'm dressing for a date or something, I usually try to dress better, but still not too stuffily. That usually ends up with me wearing a fitted black button down, or just throwing an H&M overcoat on top of a shirt.

I was wondering whether anybody has any suggestions as to how I can expand my wardrobe. I'm specifically looking for affordable dress shoes which will go with jeans, and casual button downs which aren't just the standard black.

Also, what do you folks do about shorts? I feel like khaki cargo type shorts were never fashionable, and the quicksilver plaid type is questionable.

If it helps, I'm 5'7, asian, and have a fairly slender build.

you should try thrift shopping honestly

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thrifting is the stand-by answer to threads of this nature, but your mileage may vary. There are three thrift shops in my city and they're all barren. I'd have trouble plucking a shirt that would be presentable even with tailoring. Doesn't mean he shouldn't check out what his area has to offer. There's just a solid chance he'll be disappointed.

The best thing he can do is rest assured that so long as he's wearing something that fits well and is put together with some thought, he'll instantly stand out in the typical college crowd. It's a sea of light washed denim, striped polo shirts, and cheap A&E jewelry and hats.

Doctor

Reaction score
It's really easy to dress well at uni/college because everyone there looks homeless to begin with. My uni wardrobe looks like this: - 2x pairs of selvage jeans (1 black, 1 indigo) - more to come
wink.gif
- Short sleeve button downs - various colours and styles, all tapered fit. Some solid colours, others with vertical stripes, a couple with patterns. - Long sleeve button downs - generally makes me look a bit formal for uni, but I still wear them a lot with the sleeves rolled. Mostly they're solid colours with details in the fabric or plaid/tartan type patterns. A couple of striped ones also. - Polos - mostly PRL because PRL Custom fit fits me well (big shoulders, tapering to small waist). Hate the pony though. I try not to go too over the top with polos, usually a solid colour with details on the colar/hem/sleeves. I do have a few 'not overly pretentious' striped ones. NO T-shirts. I know, it's weird. Something I'm working on. I just feel I look like the masses in a T-shirt. Nothing special or different. Shoes: - White canvas sneakers - Red/Gold funky canvas sneakers - Nike basketball shoes in red/blue/grey - Desert boots - Lacoste sneakers in green and white with striped laces - some slightly more classy distressed brown leather boots If it gets cold (rare where I live - it's impossible enough wearing jeans all year) I throw on a sweater (brown, black, green or white/black stripe) or wear an all white Lacoste hoodie. Huge wardrobe, I know. I buy EVERYTHING at sales. The big department stores have some real bonanzas around here during June/July. Picked up a swag of $150 shirts for $30 the other week. Basically jeans + any decent shirt + canvas sneakers = college wear. It's actually a weird topic to start a thread on because, as evidenced by my post, anything works...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads