or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › My car wouldn't start this morning, please diagnose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My car wouldn't start this morning, please diagnose.

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I couldn't start my car this morning, before I call a toll truck I want to check with you guys to see may be there's something that can be easily fixed.

I turned the key and the radio and ventilation were on, and the steering wheel tilted and telescoped to my pre-set setting, so it wouldn't be a dead battery. There's no clicking sound from the ignition when I turned the key. It seemed as if the ignition was totally disable. Is there a problem with the ignition? Fuel pump?
post #2 of 38
If the car didn't turn over when you turned the key I'd guess it's a problem with the starter. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine though.
post #3 of 38
Just do what Elvis did when his De Tomaso Pantera wouldn't start: shoot it!

What kind of car do you have? Possibly it could be the starter. Or the fuel pump. Did you try to give it gas while you started the car?

Jon.
post #4 of 38
Thread Starter 
It's an E38. There's no point of stepping on the gas because the engine wouldn't turn on, no clicking sound from the starter at all. A total silence as I turned the key.
post #5 of 38
Hmm...is there an ignition lock out feature that the computer has that could have been inadvertently triggered? I.e. from an alarm or via the keyless remote control?

Jon.
post #6 of 38
Thread Starter 
That's a good point. It seemed as if the ignition was disabled but I had no trouble unlocking and locking the car by remote.
post #7 of 38
This is why I asked what kind of car. Because on a Chevy I would hardly expect that it would have some sort of cutoff feature, but on a German car, well that's a different story.

Jon.
post #8 of 38
Have a trustworthy mechanic check the ignition coils, spark plug, relays and fuel pump.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Have a trustworthy mechanic check the ignition coils, spark plug, relays and fuel pump.

Even if one spark of the plugs was not working the car would still start; the same goes with the coils. All the spark plugs or all the coils would have to break in order for the engine to completely fail.

Jon.
post #10 of 38
Starter solenoid would be the first thing I would check. You could short the solenoid to the battery with a jumper cable and see if it clicks. If so, there is something between that and the key. If not, it's the solenoid.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Starter solenoid would be the first thing I would check. You could short the solenoid to the battery with a jumper cable and see if it clicks. If so, there is something between that and the key. If not, it's the solenoid.

I just had the solenoid go out on my Camaro.

And, yes (to preempt any inquiries), the car came complete with the full Bon Jovi ouvre.
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
I am almost completely clueless when it comes to inner mechanical working of a car. So what is a solenoid? What does it do?
post #13 of 38
I'd still bet it's your battery. My E46 did the same thing when its battery died: the lights and electronics in the car worked, but the engine wouldn't turn. Is there an easy way for you to jumpstart it?

--Andre
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I'd still bet it's your battery. My E46 did the same thing when its battery died: the lights and electronics in the car worked, but the engine wouldn't turn. Is there an easy way for you to jumpstart it?

--Andre

But wouldn't the battery completely die out? I mean, yes the radio uses a lot less electricity than starting the cars engine, but still, wouldn't the battery just be completely dead?

Jon.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
But wouldn't the battery completely die out? I mean, yes the radio uses a lot less electricity than starting the cars engine, but still, wouldn't the battery just be completely dead? Jon.
There may be a sensor that doesn't allow the starter to engage if it detects low amperage from the battery. This, in theory, would protect the starter from damage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › My car wouldn't start this morning, please diagnose.