or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 17896
Thread Starter 
Heading out to buy this for tonite's dinner party.

post #47 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post
Heading out to buy this for tonite's dinner party.



Looks tastey. Is that a Burgundy red?

*he asks, trying to sound like he knows what the hell he's talking about*
post #48 of 17896
Rhone
post #49 of 17896
which reminds me, Gigondas will have a bit more oomph than a similar CdP, be sure to decant that for a few hours.
post #50 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
Rhone


Ahhh! Cheers! I really liked the Clos du Mont-Olivet, Font de Blanche a friend gave me a while back. It was a very warm and well rounded pour!

post #51 of 17896
^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure that's a single vineyard Cote du Rhone - nice.
post #52 of 17896
Pand-- Heading over to the wine shop out west tomorrow afternoon to taste a few wines and pick a few up. I'm really excited.
post #53 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure that's a single vineyard Cote du Rhone - nice.

Well I did a quick google and this is what I came up with, which pretty much sums it really:

Quote:
Clos du Mont-Olivet is a house most famous for its Chateauneuf-du-Pape, but its humble Cote-du-Rhone offering 'Font de Blanche' may be one of the great values this year. For a wine that is priced aggressively under $20, the Font do Blanche is exceptionally well balanced with stong red fruit: raspberry, red cherry and a hint of strawberry intertwine and lift up to a finish of cracked black pepper. Spice and fruit accomodate to a slight acidic twang: this is a food-friendly Rhone. The only danger is the complexity masks the 14% alcohol by volume, be careful with this sophisticated bargain.

It's a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre, which also explains why I liked it so much as it has two of my favourite varitals in it.
post #54 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Pand-- Heading over to the wine shop out west tomorrow afternoon to taste a few wines and pick a few up. I'm really excited.

Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99
post #55 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandArts View Post
Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99


Ooops Tomorrow is Friday so the tasting is 4 to 7...my bad...I'm usually around for the Saturday tasting.
post #56 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandArts View Post
Sweet! Remember, it's from 1 to 4 ask for Candy and tell her Jason sent ya...heck I may even run into you there...

Oh and the Cotes du Rhone pictured above came from there...I think it was something like $16.99 IIRC but no more than $19.99

Cool. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be the fat kid in the chef's whites. JK. My dad and I love some bold red wines, and I'm ready to see the selection, considering how often you post those Spanish and South American wines. Everybody says they're a really great value lately while they try to get huge in the market, so I'm ready to see what happens.

Edit: even better, 4-7 works better for me anyway.
post #57 of 17896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Cool. I'm looking forward to it! I'll be the fat kid in the chef's whites. JK. My dad and I love some bold red wines, and I'm ready to see the selection, considering how often you post those Spanish and South American wines. Everybody says they're a really great value lately while they try to get huge in the market, so I'm ready to see what happens.

Edit: even better, 4-7 works better for me anyway.

Remember to talk to Candy. She spent several years in Spain. She'll hook you up!
post #58 of 17896
in all likelyhood, the name of the vineyard is "'Font de Blanche", an interesting label for a Rhone wine. Usually I associate the Burgundies with labeling the vineyard (ex: Vosne-Romanee, La Romanee). Sounds nice for sub-$20, I've always ranked CdR high in the value plays.
post #59 of 17896
I don't really know much about wine, but I had this bottle and enjoyed it over the weekend. 2003 Silverado Cab
post #60 of 17896
I don't like the style of Grange or the other big Penfolds wines, which I think are overpriced and over rated. I certainly would not knowingly drink wine that has tannin (and who knows what other chemicals) added to it. There are much better shiraz and shiraz blends available for a better price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread