or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 1336

post #20026 of 20671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

They must have made a billion cases of this vintage. I keep seeing it.

That is good news. smile.gif
post #20027 of 20671
They also release those like 7 years after vintage, rather than the normal (for Napa or France) 2-3 years
post #20028 of 20671
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

They also release those like 7 years after vintage, rather than the normal (for Napa or France) 2-3 years

A Gran Reserva is at least two years in oak, and then three in the bottle, so a minimum of five years after vinification.

I know I've posted there here before: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402754035/

Great book, awesome photography, and at $21 for hardcover?
post #20029 of 20671
Wish more non-Spanish wineries waited that long before release (I know it's probably cost prohibitive). Wouldn't make me have to hold it so long before I can drink.
post #20030 of 20671
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Wish more non-Spanish wineries waited that long before release (I know it's probably cost prohibitive). Wouldn't make me have to hold it so long before I can drink.

Well, there's two sides to this discussion. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some oak on my Riojas and it changed the landscape in Barolo, but it can also be used to cover up many sins or just be plain over used (CA Chard comes to mind.)
post #20031 of 20671
Yeah, but you can always use old/previously used oak to lessen to effect. I was mainly speaking to liking to fact that the Spanish riservas have multiple years in bottle before release.

I had some CA Chardonnay yesterday at a tasting (K&L in Hollywood) all I could taste was butter.
post #20032 of 20671
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Yeah, but you can always use old/previously used oak to lessen to effect. I was mainly speaking to liking to fact that the Spanish riservas have multiple years in bottle before release.

I had some CA Chardonnay yesterday at a tasting (K&L in Hollywood) all I could taste was butter.

Yeah, diacetyl levels in CA Chard can be very overpowering.
post #20033 of 20671

LCBO Vintages had a sale of various Robert Mondavi Cab Sauv bottles.

They had 1994 Napa Valley up for $73CAD... Unfortunately I missed out on this offering and am not happy about it! Will have to be quicker next time.

post #20034 of 20671

@Slewfoot Any preference for Gabriel-Glas vs Zalto?

post #20035 of 20671
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

@Slewfoot
 Any preference for Gabriel-Glas vs Zalto?

I don't know Gabriel, but I use Zalto at home...perhaps buy one of each to be sure before committing to a bunch.
post #20036 of 20671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post


I don't know Gabriel, but I use Zalto at home...perhaps buy one of each to be sure before committing to a bunch.

Thanks, will do

post #20037 of 20671




Got this and the 1994 reserva from the same vineyard. Very happy with the 1995. Super lively, very little residual sugar finishes like cocoa nibs and then black tea. Super stoked to have the reserva at some point in the future.
post #20038 of 20671
X post from scotch thread

Sort of an odd question to ask and I may pose this to the wine thread as well but has anyone insured a collection? After buying a few bottles last night I realized some bottles in my collection have exceeded a $1k value. I never thought they would get that high so I never put much thought into it. But now I would take a pretty big hit if something happened (fire, flood, etc). Thoughts?
post #20039 of 20671
Some people have wine insurance. Up to you. Check how much it would cost.

Or send it to a wine cellar, and they are insured against that type of stuff.
post #20040 of 20671
I don't have anything insured but have thought about it. I remember looking into it several years ago and was told I'd need a rider and have to pay for someone to appraise things. As it's always changing I figured not worth it. However, Cellar Tracker now offers this and I'm thinking of looking into it: http://support.cellartracker.com/article/24-wine-insurance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread