or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 1299

post #19471 of 20660
Excellent. Thank you!
post #19472 of 20660

When you guys are asked to bring a wine to a dinner/thanksgiving do you sometimes not bring your best/more expensive wines because you feel they won't 'understand' it or only like fruit bombs etc? I feel like it's being wasted.

post #19473 of 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

When you guys are asked to bring a wine to a dinner/thanksgiving do you sometimes not bring your best/more expensive wines because you feel they won't 'understand' it or only like fruit bombs etc? I feel like it's being wasted.

I bring wine that fits the food and the audience. A turkey dinner with just casual wine drinkers? Some Cardwell Hill Estate or Meomi Pinot would be excellent IMO.

FWIW, I never pick the wine to bring wine that's "best" or "most expensive" in my cellar. If I'm bringing wine where real wine folks will be I try to pick what I think will be drinking the best at that moment from a quality producer.
post #19474 of 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I bring wine that fits the food and the audience. A turkey dinner with just casual wine drinkers? Some Cardwell Hill Estate or Meomi Pinot would be excellent IMO.

FWIW, I never pick the wine to bring wine that's "best" or "most expensive" in my cellar. If I'm bringing wine where real wine folks will be I try to pick what I think will be drinking the best at that moment from a quality producer.

To piggyback off of this, I try to bring a wine that people can actually buy if they like it. Unless I'm going to another wine geek's house or to someone who's got a cellar and will take the bottle and put it away, I will go to the store and buy something the day before that I know is appropriate.
post #19475 of 20660


I'm back at my parent's home for Thanksgiving and dug around the basement for some old things of mine. While doing so, I found this. My parents don't drink and just told me to take it. Happy Thanksgiving to me.
post #19476 of 20660
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #19477 of 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post



I'm back at my parent's home for Thanksgiving and dug around the basement for some old things of mine. While doing so, I found this. My parents don't drink and just told me to take it. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Where the hell did they get it?
post #19478 of 20660
supposedly a great vintage. never tasted. enjoy and report back.
post #19479 of 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Where the hell did they get it?

A wedding gift from way back in the late-70's from my uncle according to the note wrapped around the bottle. They wouldn't have remembered otherwise. It seemed to be stored properly from what I could tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

supposedly a great vintage. never tasted. enjoy and report back.

I was set to open it and enjoy tomorrow but I think I might have to wait for a slightly more special occasion.
post #19480 of 20660
keep in mind, that stuff is rich. I tend to serve only a half bottle for a party of four and some find it hard to finish. A full bottle, you need at least six, or else you better loooooove unctuous sweet wine.
post #19481 of 20660
That really calls for foie gras. Just saying.
post #19482 of 20660
post #19483 of 20660
Can anyone recommend some vouvray? Sub 30 range if at all possible
post #19484 of 20660
Does it have to be Vouvray? Or Loire Chenin Blanc?
post #19485 of 20660
I like Anjou in general more. Not a big fan of off dry Chenin like they do in vouvray. A little cloying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread