or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 1292

post #19366 of 20679
How do people here feel about negociant wines? Bulk wine that doesn't get labeled with the vineyard. How important is it for you to know what vineyard is making your wine?
post #19367 of 20679
?

Negociant wine just means a grape buying middleman makes the wines not the farmer. Sometimes it's a blend if the grapes are from everywhere or are cheap but a lot of times they're single vineyard wines because they want to capitalize on the name
post #19368 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle View Post

How do people here feel about negociant wines? Bulk wine that doesn't get labeled with the vineyard. How important is it for you to know what vineyard is making your wine?

Do you like Krug? Veuve Clicquot? Tattinger? Cristal (by Louis Roederer)?

All negociant.
post #19369 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle View Post

How do people here feel about negociant wines? Bulk wine that doesn't get labeled with the vineyard. How important is it for you to know what vineyard is making your wine?

Not long ago almost ALL wine was negociant wine. Growers were either too small or too poor to be able to bottle their own wines. Or, it made more economic sense to sell a wine as a Premier Cru to a negociant rather than blend it down into a village wine.
post #19370 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle View Post

How do people here feel about negociant wines? Bulk wine that doesn't get labeled with the vineyard. How important is it for you to know what vineyard is making your wine?

I don't give a fuck about the vineyard.
post #19371 of 20679
Put isn't that contrary to the idea of purchasing from a specific region, because of the terroir/known to produce great wines?
post #19372 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Put isn't that contrary to the idea of purchasing from a specific region, because of the terroir/known to produce great wines?

Champagne, as an example, isn't a specific region?
post #19373 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Put isn't that contrary to the idea of purchasing from a specific region, because of the terroir/known to produce great wines?

this is very romantic
post #19374 of 20679

I purchased a reverse RRV pinot last night, for example from 90+ cellars. Which is a pretty audacious title for a company selling wines, but from what I've read they only source from vineyard that have received awards. And it's not consistent either, like the 09 and 10 were likely from different vineyards. 

 

I think it would have been a little more intimidating if the region was not even specified, a la two-buck chuck (which I also learned about last night).

 

It felt like a half-blind tasting, but the wine was pretty damn good.

post #19375 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle View Post

I purchased a reverse RRV pinot last night, for example from 90+ cellars. Which is a pretty audacious title for a company selling wines, but from what I've read they only source from vineyard that have received awards. And it's not consistent either, like the 09 and 10 were likely from different vineyards. 

I think it would have been a little more intimidating if the region was not even specified, a la two-buck chuck (which I also learned about last night).

It felt like a half-blind tasting, but the wine was pretty damn good.

Or like 2009 and 2010 were completely different vintages with completely different conditions year to year?
post #19376 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post


this is very romantic

I recently came across a copy of the New York TImes Book of Wine (basically best of the wine column of the last 40 years). One of my favorite reads so far has been about the scientific illiteracy of talking about terroir. For those interested, I uploaded it to my dropbox for phone reading on the commute. The title of that specific article is 'Talk Dirty to Me.'

 

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=The+New+York+Times+Book+of+Wine+-+Howard+G.+Goldberg.pdf

post #19377 of 20679

That's assuming that specific vineyard is consistently having surplus though. I can only speculate how this business model would work.

post #19378 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle View Post

That's assuming that specific vineyard is consistently having surplus though. I can only speculate how this business model would work.


Seriously, why don't you go find what the growing seasons were like in 09 vs 10?
post #19379 of 20679

http://www.winemag.com/PDFs/Vintage_Chart_2014_ProCirc.pdf

 

I'm not very well versed in finding the best source for this, but this suggests they're both pretty fucking good.

post #19380 of 20679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle View Post

http://www.winemag.com/PDFs/Vintage_Chart_2014_ProCirc.pdf

I'm not very well versed in finding the best source for this, but this suggests they're both pretty fucking good.


But it doesn't talk about the vintage characteristics, so no, it's doesn't suggest the growing season was "pretty fucking good" in both years it merely gives you a point number for the quality of what was vinified. Also, at the price of these wines? You're not drinking the best juice those places had to offer, particularly in 2010.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread