or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 1181

post #17701 of 18038
1986 Robert Mondavi Reserve CabSauv. Purchased in 1991 during the liquidation of the London Chop House's wine cellar when it closed in 1991 (you can still see their cellar inventory tag). Been about 60 minutes in the decanter, my fingers are crossed. But it may have been too late for this one.

post #17702 of 18038
Assuming a sound bottle, I'd expect this to be a solid example of a claret style wine. It probably won't change your life, but if you like the style, you'll like this.

I'm having a 2005 Rochioli Little Hill Pinot Noir and it's a wonderful example of how good well made Russian River Valley pinot noir can be.
post #17703 of 18038
i have a '74, '74 reserve, '80 reserve, and an '85 reserve that Manton and I plan to pillage. Also a '66 Martini Cab.
post #17704 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So good.


i've had this wine like 25 times.
post #17705 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i've had this wine like 25 times.

I intend to have it a few more times. Had *cough* brunch *cough* at a place you might know downtown and it was on sale at the attached market next door. Plan to swing by and pick up a few more.
post #17706 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i have a '74, '74 reserve, '80 reserve, and an '85 reserve that Manton and I plan to pillage. Also a '66 Martini Cab.
We should have a necrophilic/wino evening and drink a bunch of these old wines. I have a 68 BV Burgundy, and some early 90's Mondavi Reserves. It could be epic. Or fucking terrible.
post #17707 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i have a '74, '74 reserve, '80 reserve, and an '85 reserve that Manton and I plan to pillage. Also a '66 Martini Cab.
We should have a necrophilic/wino evening and drink a bunch of these old wines. I have a 68 BV Burgundy, and some early 90's Mondavi Reserves. It could be epic. Or fucking terrible.

i'm speaking with Manton about this. Lets do it.
post #17708 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i've had this wine like 25 times.

I intend to have it a few more times. Had *cough* brunch *cough* at a place you might know downtown and it was on sale at the attached market next door. Plan to swing by and pick up a few more.

on sale for what? I pay usually $17-20, which is on the high end for Tuesday night wines, but if you see it for $15 or less, pull a Manton and buy it all.
post #17709 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

on sale for what? I pay usually $17-20, which is on the high end for Tuesday night wines, but if you see it for $15 or less, pull a Manton and buy it all.

$16.
post #17710 of 18038
that's not the Manton price. Need to take case discount into consideration.
post #17711 of 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Assuming a sound bottle, I'd expect this to be a solid example of a claret style wine. It probably won't change your life, but if you like the style, you'll like this.

I'm having a 2005 Rochioli Little Hill Pinot Noir and it's a wonderful example of how good well made Russian River Valley pinot noir can be.

Cork was destroyed and initial taste was terrible. Took about 1.5 hours to open in the decanter but it was decent. I had the 89 last week and it was much better. I'm looking forward to the various early 90s. I'd have mistaken both for clarets in a blind test, particularly the 89.
post #17712 of 18038
the fill level on that '86 was pretty low.
post #17713 of 18038
http://nypost.com/2014/07/19/how-the-worlds-best-wine-was-kidnapped-for-a-1-3m-ransom/

some guy tried to kidnap the vines at DRC for a ransom. i think there's a book coming out
post #17714 of 18038
speaking of wine books, "summer in a glass" is great.
post #17715 of 18038
sounds like a good book and its cheap on amazon too.

i'm 30 minutes into you will be my son on netflix which is about a vigneron in france not wanting to leave his vineyard to his son and instead thinks about leaving it to his steward's son who is more into everything. it's pretty good and i haven't seen a decent wine movie in awhile.
Edited by indesertum - 7/20/14 at 8:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread