or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 1095

post #16411 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

I also don't understand your English. Don't complain when there is a premier cru from a no name? I haven't bought a premier cru from a no name.

you almost did a few weeks ago, no? Something about a grand cru vineyard but "i might try it from a cheap producer instead". I, and a few others, advised against it. And Burgundy is extremely hard to adapt to because it's so tempting to get that "chambolle musigny" for the same price as the "cote de units" that you set out to buy.
post #16412 of 17900
What my love of wine has taught me in the last few years is be humble about wine. A particularly hard lesson for me to learn but I've learned it.
post #16413 of 17900
Yeah so I didn't buy it. Plus I don't think drinking a premier cru before its time is right. So I've been sticking with bourgogne and village wines
post #16414 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i don't know if I agree or disagree with that, but it's an interesting observation.



i've come to really dislike it when people riffle off 10 descriptors. "orange. orange peel. orange zest. tobacco. linen dryer sheets. a bit of tar. cypress trees. moist vagina."

IMO it's all useless. naming 3 producers in corsica is also useless knowledge if you can't navigate and really understand a key region like Burgundy or Piedmont. And I mean by tasting, not just by riffling off villages (hello, indesertum).

I just mean that the group of guys they highlighted reminded me of friends who meet up for their weekly fantasy football of baseball picks, with the jocular competition and ripping on each other. It made for fun documentary but one that was not that informative about wine or the grid.
post #16415 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

What my love of wine has taught me in the last few years is be humble about wine. A particularly hard lesson for me to learn but I've learned it.
Me too. Blind tastings are humbling experiences. The only thing I know for sure, is what I like.
post #16416 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Anybody familiar with Tavel? it's new to me but I am enjoying it, even though at $18 I consider it a baller wine. I've cellared wine that cost less.

Tavel is one of my favorite roses ... also if you get a chance try Gerard Boulay's Rose, made from Sancerre
post #16417 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

What my love of wine has taught me in the last few years is be humble about wine. A particularly hard lesson for me to learn but I've learned it.

I'll see your wine humility and raise you with wine-store humiliation.

Was hanging out with some buddies in Princeton last night and we were off to a BYOB Indian place. I'd scoped out a wine store in town so we stopped by there. One friend starts asking the guy who works there what red wine pairs well with Indian food. The clerk and I blurt out something about rieslings simultaneously. When my friend decides to buy a nice rosé, the other friend shouts, "Haha, what're you buying, like white zinfandel?"

To top it off, the Indian food was miserable.
post #16418 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post




i've come to really dislike it when people riffle off 10 descriptors. "orange. orange peel. orange zest. tobacco. linen dryer sheets. a bit of tar. cypress trees. moist vagina."

.

Lmao
post #16419 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

10 descriptors. "orange. orange peel. orange zest. tobacco. linen dryer sheets. a bit of tar. cypress trees. moist vagina."

Some of my favorite things to find in a wine.
post #16420 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post

Some of my favorite things to find in a wine.

wine does aid in the process
post #16421 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

I'll see your wine humility and raise you with wine-store humiliation.

Was hanging out with some buddies in Princeton last night and we were off to a BYOB Indian place. I'd scoped out a wine store in town so we stopped by there. One friend starts asking the guy who works there what red wine pairs well with Indian food. The clerk and I blurt out something about rieslings simultaneously. When my friend decides to buy a nice rosé, the other friend shouts, "Haha, what're you buying, like white zinfandel?"

To top it off, the Indian food was miserable.
Try Mistral next time, BYOB and the food is pretty good.
post #16422 of 17900
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Try Mistral next time, BYOB and the food is pretty good.

Have been meaning to check it out. In fact, I tried several weeks ago but it was mysteriously closed (supposed to be open according to the hours on their website).
post #16423 of 17900


For sipping on my veranda balcony fire escape.
post #16424 of 17900
the price of Bandol rose always gets me. Rarely see examples under $25 in NYC.
post #16425 of 17900
All the rosé prices have risen noticeably this year at the PA wine stores. (Talked to a guy who works at the big wine store in town and knows what's going on--the rosés are flying off the shelves.) The effect is that, aside from the fancy stuff like Ott (haven't seen Tempier around here), the price gap between Bandol rosés and the cheaper stuff I normally drink has shrunk. $21 for the stuff I had today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread