or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 996

post #14926 of 17899
I see you've been doing some GMAT sentence structure studying. I agree with the error and will fix.
post #14927 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

I see you've been doing some GMAT sentence structure studying. I agree with the error and will fix.

fistbump.gif

Seriously, that would be funny though.
post #14928 of 17899
It smells like wet cardboard, which is a pretty horrid smell. Gome's idea is a good one, though. i wish I knew what that smell was rather than deciding there were a lot of wines I didn't like for their wet cardboard characteristics.
post #14929 of 17899
When I first started appreciating wine I was able to have that exact experience. We had stopped off for a drink and a nosh on the way home, at a place that was sadly a casualty of the recession, and the somm had a bottle of Linne Calodo Grenache that was clearly corked. He poured Mrs. Piob and me a taste of a good bottle and the corked.
post #14930 of 17899
it is a horrid smell. I suppose if one is at home and they have a suspect bottle, I'd cork it up and stick in the fridge or something, and the next day (assuming it's possible) pick up another bottle of the same wine and taste side by side. The odds of two bottles being corked are extremely low (for pB: if the odds of one bottle being corked are 7/100, at least according to a WS studying in 2005, what are the odds of two bottles being corked?)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
roughly 1/200
post #14931 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

it is a horrid smell.

Generally yes, but some bottles are barely corked and you can hardly notice. I've encountered bottles that had a bit of a musty tinge in them that disappears after a few minutes. I've seen people confuse the two.
post #14932 of 17899
1/200 ??? shog[1].gif
post #14933 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

You cant argue it. Just take it away and get another or something else. I only ever recall 2 corked bottles which were. I recall once as a waiter someone complained it was corked and it wasnt.
Its a very rare event, not worth the energy to fight over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Generally yes, but some bottles are barely corked and you can hardly notice. I've encountered bottles that had a bit of a musty tinge in them that disappears after a few minutes. I've seen people confuse the two.

Uh huh.
post #14934 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Uh huh.

Do you have a point to make because I don't see it?
post #14935 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Do you have a point to make because I don't see it?

For somebody who has only seen two corked bottles which were, you seem to have a lot of experience with the nuances of corked bottles.
post #14936 of 17899
I've never had a bottle that was "barely corked". I've had some funk up front that blew off, but never was it a TCA smell.


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

1/200 ??? shog[1].gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
probability.

Step 1: find the number of events. Here, we have two distinct events: two bottles, what are the odds that the first bottle is corked and the second bottle is also corked.
Step 2: What are the odds of each event? 7/100, or 7%, we are given this by Wine Spectator.
Step 3: is it "and" or is it "or". That is, are we figuring out the odds of bottle 1 "and" bottle 2 being corked, or the odds of 1 "or" 2 being corked. In this example, it's the former.
Step 4: if it's an "and" probability, we multiply the odds of the events together. If it's "or" we add the odds of each even together.

7/100 * 7/100 = 49/10,000. This is the answer, but it's a clumsy answer as we can't really reduce this as is. Bump up 49 to 50 (as the GMAT would ask for "roughly the odds") and we have 50/10,000, which can be reduced to 5/1,000, and finally 1/200.
post #14937 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

For somebody who has only seen two corked bottles which were, you seem to have a lot of experience with the nuances of corked bottles.

I see. You stupidly assume the only situation which I've been exposed to corked wine was while working in restaurants in my past.

Just recently I commented that I encountered a corked bottle over thanksgiving. I can recount more examples outside of work situations like wine tastings, parties, etc but I imagine you don't care. You're objective is to try and raise your profile at my expense which I hope everyone can clearly see has failed.
post #14938 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

I've never had a bottle that was "barely corked". Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
probability.
Step 1: find the number of events. Here, we have two distinct events: two bottles, what are the odds that the first bottle is corked and the second bottle is also corked.
Step 2: What are the odds of each event? 7/100, or 7%, we are given this by Wine Spectator.
Step 3: is it "and" or is it "or". That is, are we figuring out the odds of bottle 1 "and" bottle 2 being corked, or the odds of 1 "or" 2 being corked. In this example, it's the former.
Step 4: if it's an "and" probability, we multiply the odds of the events together. If it's "or" we add the odds of each even together.
7/100 * 7/100 = 49/10,000. This is the answer, but it's a clumsy answer as we can't really reduce this as is. Bump up 49 to 50 (as the GMAT would ask for "roughly the odds") and we have 50/10,000, which can be reduced to 5/1,000, and finally 1/200.

Bingo! Reads just like the books!

Next, what is the probability a wine will receive a 91 point rating by a douchebag on Cellar Tracker?
post #14939 of 17899
100/100
post #14940 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

I see. You stupidly assume the only situation which I've been exposed to corked wine was while working in restaurants in my past.
Just recently I commented that I encountered a corked bottle over thanksgiving. I can recount more examples outside of work situations like wine tastings, parties, etc but I imagine you don't care. You're objective is to try and raise your profile at my expense which I hope everyone can clearly see has failed.

Yes, that is I'm objective. You have outed me. Well done.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread