or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 994

post #14896 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Awesome! Who was the producer?

Did not snap pic and this was at 9pm NYE. Not a chance of me remembering. smile.gif
post #14897 of 17895
Whats the rule on that? If you think it's corked because of your own ignorance, when in reality it's not- will the waiter/somm just take the bottle back anyway?
post #14898 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Whats the rule on that? If you think it's corked because of your own ignorance, when in reality it's not- will the waiter/somm just take the bottle back anyway?

It's going to vary per establish and probably per somm. I mean, you can guess how idfnl would have treated the folks in question. Also, some wines specifically are going to be on a caveat emptor basis, i.e. very aged ones. I think most reasonable somms are going to judge per situation and figure out if taking a non-corked bottle back is the smartest choice for the establishment. I mean, a $10 wholesale bottle? Probably would not blink. A $150 wholesale bottle? If the somm thinks it's really not corked you better be a random big roller that's already bought some expensive wine earlier in the meal or a steady customer the somm knows the long term relationship is worth eating a bottle over.
post #14899 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Whats the rule on that? If you think it's corked because of your own ignorance, when in reality it's not- will the waiter/somm just take the bottle back anyway?

You cant argue it. Just take it away and get another or something else. I only ever recall 2 corked bottles which were. I recall once as a waiter someone complained it was corked and it wasnt.

Its a very rare event, not worth the energy to fight over.
post #14900 of 17895
The higher end the restaurant, the more likely they are to take back a bottle no matter what they actually think of it. Also, the more likely they are simply not to serve it if they judge it flawed themselves. I had this happen recently.
post #14901 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Did not snap pic and this was at 9pm NYE. Not a chance of me remembering. smile.gif

Ha, fair enough! biggrin.gif
post #14902 of 17895
From chatting wine glasses in another thread, reminded me.

Had dinner at a friends house recently, they had Eisch wine glasses, which supposedly have a patented system for being a breathable glass.

Is this claim true? Does it work? Didn't know the wine or the glass so I was curious to know if anyone had any experience with it.

Pretty nice glasses, interesting conversation point, but worth buying?


post #14903 of 17895
Thread Starter 
Guys, help, please.

Our guest on NYE bought two bottles of Duckhorn 2009 Cab. Very generous. I was serving, so was not toasted. All others were merry. I was completely underwhelmed by both bottles. I do not think they were corked, just flat, lifeless. No jam, no character, zero finish. Meh. I know the Cab well. Never tasted like that.

Any ideas why? Vintage, on there way to being corked, etc? Thx.
post #14904 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

From chatting wine glasses in another thread, reminded me.
Had dinner at a friends house recently, they had Eisch wine glasses, which supposedly have a patented system for being a breathable glass.
Is this claim true? Does it work? Didn't know the wine or the glass so I was curious to know if anyone had any experience with it.
Pretty nice glasses, interesting conversation point, but worth buying?

Choke them and see if they pass out.
post #14905 of 17895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Anyway, the whole tasting ceremony is pompous.

Not if done correctly. Always a lovely, exciting part of the evening, especially after a discussion with the sommelier/server regarding choices. The folks I've had always seem to enjoy the brief discussion re taste, nose, etc after a sip.
post #14906 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post

Guys, help, please.
Our guest on NYE bought two bottles of Duckhorn 2009 Cab. Very generous. I was serving, so was not toasted. All others were merry. I was completely underwhelmed by both bottles. I do not think they were corked, just flat, lifeless. No jam, no character, zero finish. Meh. I know the Cab well. Never tasted like that.
Any ideas why? Vintage, on there way to being corked, etc? Thx.

Cooked?
post #14907 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

Cooked?

That was my guess; bad storage.
post #14908 of 17895

I'm living in Italy for the next 18 months.  Any thoughts on wine to bring home with me?  I'm stocking up on some local stuff in my region, but I'd like to make the bulk of my shipment hard-to-find bottles.  That is to say hard to find in the States.  Any thoughts would be welcomed!  Thanks. 

post #14909 of 17895
http://www.viginwine.com/viginourwines.html

Incredible Barbaresco at ridiculously low prices. My friend imports it to the US but not to be found widely.

http://www.malvira.com/pagine/eng/azienda_agricola/storia_cantina_roero_malvira.lasso

Visit their Villa, stay a night or two. Meet Roberto Damonte and his brother. Wonderful people. Lovely wines at good prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

I'm living in Italy for the next 18 months. Any thoughts on wine to bring home with me? I'm stocking up on some local stuff in my region, but I'd like to make the bulk of my shipment hard-to-find bottles. That is to say hard to find in the States. Any thoughts would be welcomed! Thanks.
post #14910 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Choke them and see if they pass out.

rimshot.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread