or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 983

post #14731 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

Spain is awesome for value. Drinking a Ribeira Sacra from Alodio for example. $20.
I find it to be a minefield of a different sort in that I don't know the producers that well, hence I'm unsure who is making good value wines in a traditional style, and those that are trying to make Aussie shiraz.
post #14732 of 18227
Just popped the cork on this and can't wait to tear into it later. It won the toss-up against a '09 Prudhon St Aubin rouge 1er cru. This will be the first 2010 red burg I've tasted, I think.

post #14733 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

I find it to be a minefield of a different sort in that I don't know the producers that well, hence I'm unsure who is making good value wines in a traditional style, and those that are trying to make Aussie shiraz.

+1. Similar experience with Portugal.
post #14734 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Save for Rioja which has gone the way of Chianti where every piece of shit with that name now gets a price.

Lulz @ $7 Chianti
Edited by Piobaire - 12/9/12 at 2:42pm
post #14735 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

Just popped the cork on this and can't wait to tear into it later. It won the toss-up against a '09 Prudhon St Aubin rouge 1er cru. This will be the first 2010 red burg I've tasted, I think.

I had the 2009 this summer. I thought it was fantastic.
post #14736 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post

Which ones did you like? Many thanks.

The Charles Smith brand wines. Very very cheap for wine in general and especially WA
post #14737 of 18227
post #14738 of 18227
Big shakeup at the Wine Advocate:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324024004578169492614023194.html

May have to google story if the link requires a subscription. To summarize:
Moving the operation to Singapore, selling a significant stake to Asian investors, will discontinue print version, and will begin accepting limited advertising.

As long as they keep advocating wines I don't like, I am fine with all of this.
post #14739 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Big shakeup at the Wine Advocate:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324024004578169492614023194.html
May have to google story if the link requires a subscription. To summarize:
Moving the operation to Singapore, selling a significant stake to Asian investors, will discontinue print version, and will begin accepting limited advertising.
As long as they keep advocating wines I don't like, I am fine with all of this.

Also, RP to give up editorial control, something that has been a deal killer in previous attempts to purchase it.
post #14740 of 18227
i suppose that could be big news to some people.
post #14741 of 18227
Didn't Parker already stop covering new releases and say he was going to focus solely on older vintages?
post #14742 of 18227
HQ actually remain in Monkton. It's a "second office" in Singapore.
post #14743 of 18227
Re: value, the vast, vast majority of what I buy is red Bord and white Bord and Burg. Obviously there are no values in the big name appellations but I find plenty of value in Bord Sup and districts no one cares about and also in Macon, Chablis and other low-end (or low-priced) white Burg regions. Values as in, really excellent (91 points!) bottles for $15 and perfectly fine daily drinkers for $12 and under, even $10 and under. I'm currently working through a second case of 2007 Bord-Sup that I got for $6 a bottle. Impossible to replicate that anywhere else. A second current case of a different 2004, for which I paid around $14/bottle, drinks like a $35 California Cab. Sometimes I think even $50.

The only other country which has so much to offer on the low end is Italy. I just know France better and generally prefer the styles. I tend to buy Italian wine only for drinking with Italian style food and my cooking style is basically French. I like quite a few CA wines but few are values, the best you can do is "worth the money." There are no values in CA for a daily drinker red IME and for whites decent stulf starts at $12. Plenty of white Bord sub $10 that is A-OK (though no white Burg).

I don't know a great deal about the rest of France but I also find values in low-end red Rhone and white Loire. Madiran is a favorite lately too. In the summer I drink Provence Rose, same price points, same level of satisfaction. In fact, the only wine in France that is consistently NOT a value is red Burg where at best you get what you paid for.

So, IMO, France absolutely is THE home of wine values on planet earth.
post #14744 of 18227
Have you guys had any Hungarian wines (whites)?
post #14745 of 18227
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Have you guys had any Hungarian wines (whites)?

Tokaj. IMO, nice QPR when you're in the mood.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread