or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 955

post #14311 of 17850
yes
post #14312 of 17850
Tonight was a blind tasting of two cflights of five Syrahs, all '98 or '99 - 8 Hermitage/Côte Rôtie and two Californians, as it turned out. The Rhônes were from Chave, Jamet, Guigal & Tardieu-Laurent, while the Americans were Dehlinger and Arcadian. The most expensive wines - the two Guigal Lalas, fared the worst, and the Dehlinger acquitted itself well. The Jamet Côte-Rôtie stole the show, with the Jaboulet La Chapelle not far behind. And you forget how good Northern Rhônes can be . . .
post #14313 of 17850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

Tonight was a blind tasting of two cflights of five Syrahs, all '98 or '99 - 8 Hermitage/Côte Rôtie and two Californians, as it turned out. The Rhônes were from Chave, Jamet, Guigal & Tardieu-Laurent, while the Americans were Dehlinger and Arcadian. The most expensive wines - the two Guigal Lalas, fared the worst, and the Dehlinger acquitted itself well. The Jamet Côte-Rôtie stole the show, with the Jaboulet La Chapelle not far behind. And you forget how good Northern Rhônes can be . . .

What's left to pick at Rhys? Horseshoe? I really enjoy Kevin's tweets re: this vintage. Really cool to see how dynamic the decision to pick is.
post #14314 of 17850
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

pun?
I was about to rephrase, but then figured "what the heck".
post #14315 of 17850
Can anyone recommend a good beginner’s book for wine? Descriptions of varietals and comparisons of similar varietals or identical varietals from different terrior would be great.

I'm looking into taking a few wine classes at a local CC, but they won't start until the 1st of the year so I'm looking to get my learn on now . . .
post #14316 of 17850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Can anyone recommend a good beginner’s book for wine? Descriptions of varietals and comparisons of similar varietals or identical varietals from different terrior would be great.
I'm looking into taking a few wine classes at a local CC, but they won't start until the 1st of the year so I'm looking to get my learn on now . . .
Making Sense of Wine by Matt Kramer seems like a nice entry book. It doesn't really compare the varietals -- at least I think so, shamefully I have to admit that I just have read 20-30% of it yet --, but it's good for beginners. All in all, trying out wines is the only thing that will give you a better idea. What has been said many times in this thread and what's true is that you shouldn't focus solely about varietals/grapes but more on regions.
post #14317 of 17850
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscolari View Post

What's left to pick at Rhys? Horseshoe? I really enjoy Kevin's tweets re: this vintage. Really cool to see how dynamic the decision to pick is.

Just the Syrah. The last ton of Pinot came in today. It's been very exciting - a big crop of outstanding quality and a near perfect vintage.
post #14318 of 17850


Meh. Didn't like it at all. Guess I can't appreciate white Burgundy yet. Tasted flat, flat, flat. Maybe a hint of butter/nut, but overall just boring, and not in a good way. Again a little oxidized, I think.



Well that is a cidre Sydre. Delicious.
post #14319 of 17850
consumed while cooking:
8065563733_e33c64ca6d.jpg

nice cali chard
8065554359_c87a1dbcdc.jpg


also, these:
8065561688_77b310b592.jpg
post #14320 of 17850
This past wknd, 2001 La Tour Blanche and Krug NV, spectacular.
post #14321 of 17850
Jadot Meursault 2005. Oxidized. Fuck.
post #14322 of 17850
I bought a vin jaune from I think Jura and the coudolet de beaucastel that's been hyped here.
post #14323 of 17850
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

I bought a vin jaune from I think Jura and the coudolet de beaucastel that's been hyped here.

Jura is the only place vin jaune comes from.

Also, I am sorry.
post #14324 of 17850
smile.gif. I didn't know that. I thought Jura was famous for Vin Jaune but didn't know they were exclusive

I figured it was worth a try.


Having this right now

ypu2ure2.jpg

Really young. Soft tannins. Lots of baking spices up front. Moderate acidity. Light red fruit.

It's pretty decent
post #14325 of 17850
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

I bought a vin jaune

What are you doing with it? I still haven't opened mine, but my friend opened some, and we ate comte with it, which was awesome. I have a bunch of recipes that call for it in sauces.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread