or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 922

post #13816 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

Have you ever had a good Cote Rotie, or Hermitage?

French is my area of least experience. I recall drinking cote rotie but don't recall it being remarkable.

I do like Rhone reds but my experience is only with pricier bottles.
post #13817 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

In what market? I pay about 12-15 for Lan Crianza
This. And under $20 for reserva.
post #13818 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscolari View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I've had a few failures too. However, that one delivers for a weekday meal. Also, cru Beaujolais is nice at $13-15.
What I've come to realize is that really drinkable Left Coast wine is nearly impossible to find under $25. The best under $20 bottle I can get is off the Stefania's mailing list, Haut Taube.

Pio - have you had Lioco chardonnay (not SVD) or their red Indica? Both can be found at 15-18 and are great weekday drinking bottles.

No, I've not, but going to keep my eye open for them now. Thanks.
post #13819 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

French is my area of least experience. I recall drinking cote rotie but don't recall it being remarkable.
I do like Rhone reds but my experience is only with pricier bottles.

Well Rhone reds generally include syrah, which you said isn't your favorite.
post #13820 of 18063
A good cheap French wine is the Gouleyant Malbec, a nice sipper. Fruity if you're into that kind of thing.

Cahors, I think.
post #13821 of 18063
I hate malbec. Consensus says cru beaus, I personally like a lot of cheap bordeaux. I feel like you can get some pretty solid French reds in the $10-$20 range from any region, excluding Burgundy for the most part.
post #13822 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I feel like you can get some pretty solid French reds in the $10-$20 range from any region, excluding Burgundy for the most part.

reds and whites
post #13823 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Well Rhone reds generally include syrah, which you said isn't your favorite.

Its my understanding that the nothern rhone blends (hermitage, crozes hermitage, cote rotie (SP?), are syrah based, but the further south you head, it tends to be more grenache and a smattering of other things?
post #13824 of 18063
That is also my understanding.
post #13825 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Its my understanding that the nothern rhone blends (hermitage, crozes hermitage, cote rotie (SP?), are syrah based, but the further south you head, it tends to be more grenache and a smattering of other things?

Yeah, Southern especially appeals. It's mostly Left Coast and Oz Syrah/Shiraz that I've not enjoyed.
post #13826 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

2009 Domaine de la Chaponne Morgon

How is that one?

post #13827 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Its my understanding that the nothern rhone blends (hermitage, crozes hermitage, cote rotie (SP?), are syrah based, but the further south you head, it tends to be more grenache and a smattering of other things?

Well most of your Northern Rhône wines aren't blends, at least not from your more well known AOCs, ErmitAge, Crozes-Hermitage, Cornas, Côte Rôtie, etc. They are usually pure Syrah, maybe with a little Viognier. I think Northern Rhône Côtes-du-Rhône are usually pure Syrah as well.

Blind tasting just now:

Rhys Bearwallow 2009
2008 Littorai Cerise vineyard
Anthill Farm Abbey Harris - 2008?
2007 Peay scallop shelf
post #13828 of 18063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Anyone know anything about Madiran? Just had my first one and I liked it a lot.

Didn't connect Madiran with Tannat. Just sat down tonight and ordered a bottle of chateau d'aydie.
post #13829 of 18063
CA08171216431978-L.jpg
post #13830 of 18063

^^ ooohhh so tasty!! great pic to, damn you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread