or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 906

post #13576 of 17486
Had several bottles last night. Started off with a Gomey suggestion, N.V. Laurent-Perrier Champagne Brut L.P. Domaine de Tours-sur-Marne. Brightly acid, apples, a hint of toast. Then opened a 2007 Turley Zinfandel Ueberroth Vineyard. This was killer, everything a Central Coast Zin should be but not overblown. Raspberry jam with hints of dill. Then we had a 2009 Sea Smoke Southing and a Perception Chard (can't remember the vintage). I picked the Perception because the other couple are not real wine drinkers and Perception is a classic "buttery popcorn" style Chard so I thought it would go well with her entree. She thoroughly enjoyed it but could not pick butter out in the least. I think she has no sense of smell as this is a wine that overdoes the mallos picked for that very reason. Either way, she enjoyed it and that's all that mattered.
post #13577 of 17486
The 2007 Turley sounds really interesting. Raspberry jam with hints of dill.
post #13578 of 17486
The dill comes from use of American oak barrels.
post #13579 of 17486
Yesterday I went up to Anderson Valley to check out a vineyard and we stopped to chat and taste with the guy making the wines for Knez, which is the label for the guy who bought the Demuth and Cerise vineyards. Highly recommended. The single vineyard Pinots from '10 are great and a screaming deal. quite elegant, fresh, and high toned with plenty of tannin and the stuffing to age. The rosé was also excellent.
post #13580 of 17486
Here's tonight wine. Very elegant.

2012-08-04141711.jpg
post #13581 of 17486
Merry Edwards SB.
post #13582 of 17486
Picked up a bottle of 2005 Priorat I'd never heard of, on sale at the local wine store for $20. Pretty tasty, and it turns out it was a pretty good deal. Will have to snag the last bottle tomorrow.
post #13583 of 17486
Family sent some fresh caught then frozen walleye fillets to us. We'll be pan frying it, and inspired by heismatt, a bottle of Merry SB.
post #13584 of 17486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

Yesterday I went up to Anderson Valley to check out a vineyard and we stopped to chat and taste with the guy making the wines for Knez, which is the label for the guy who bought the Demuth and Cerise vineyards. Highly recommended. The single vineyard Pinots from '10 are great and a screaming deal. quite elegant, fresh, and high toned with plenty of tannin and the stuffing to age. The rosé was also excellent.
Is Peter Knez the winemaker at Knez or did he hire someone to do that?
post #13585 of 17486

Pio, Try some cornflakes with your walleye.  Smashed or purchased that way of course.  A guide in Lake of the Woods served them that way to me many years ago.  Yum!

post #13586 of 17486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Pio, Try some cornflakes with your walleye.  Smashed or purchased that way of course.  A guide in Lake of the Woods served them that way to me many years ago.  Yum!

Guide? I call the guides I know in northern Ontario "family."
post #13587 of 17486
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Is Peter Knez the winemaker at Knez or did he hire someone to do that?

He's the owner. The wines are made by Anthony Filiberti, who is also involved in Anthill Farm.
post #13588 of 17486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatsch View Post

He's the owner. The wines are made by Anthony Filiberti, who is also involved in Anthill Farm.
Yep, I knew he was the owner, I used to work with him, but I wasn't sure if he was making the wines himself. He's not a winemaker by trade.
post #13589 of 17486
Ah, sorry. As far as I know he isnt involved in the actual winemaking. He came in while we were tasting. Seems an interesting fellow.
post #13590 of 17486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Family sent some fresh caught then frozen walleye fillets to us. We'll be pan frying it, and inspired by heismatt, a bottle of Merry SB.

As they say in Ontariario, that's a good eatin' fish.
We arrive in Muskoka on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to some pickerel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread