or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 878

post #13156 of 17663
This one wowed me this weekend. Really tasty:

212
post #13157 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

The Fritz Haag was quite good. Fruity and crisp acidity. Not sure yet how minerality really plays out, but there may be some noticeable minerality in it.
Also had a glass of Jakob Kühn's Riesling. More fruit and less acidity then Fritz Haag's. Good, too.
"A glass of" as in "poured by the glass" in a restaurant? My first encounter with PJ Kühn's wines has been by the glass and after that I had not had the need to try any of his products for a longer time. Turned out I had tried his lowest wine and all the others were so much better... Now, I love some of his stuff (Amphore, Lenchen).

I picked up half a case of 2009 Coulée de Sérrant the other day, planning to drink it in its various stages of age. Also, a surprise find: 1975 Chateau d'Armailhac (called "Chateau Mouton-Baronne Philippe de Rothschild" by that time). Will see how it held up after my exams (two weeks).
post #13158 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette View Post

"A glass of" as in "poured by the glass" in a restaurant? My first encounter with PJ Kühn's wines has been by the glass and after that I had not had the need to try any of his products for a longer time. Turned out I had tried his lowest wine and all the others were so much better... Now, I love some of his stuff (Amphore, Lenchen).
I picked up half a case of 2009 Coulée de Sérrant the other day, planning to drink it in its various stages of age. Also, a surprise find: 1975 Chateau d'Armailhac (called "Chateau Mouton-Baronne Philippe de Rothschild" by that time). Will see how it held up after my exams (two weeks).
Speaking of PJ Kuhn, have you had his white pinot noir? Dee Vine used to import it and I had half a case or so in the early 00s. It was a great quaffer and a good ringer for a blind tasting. I took a bottle to a dinner at R&G lounge once with some wine geeks and one guy actually nailed it. I was impressed.
post #13159 of 17663
BV Muscat is an excellent little dessert wine, cheap and yummy.

I am also into white port these days.
post #13160 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

This one wowed me this weekend. Really tasty:

Hmm, I've had that and recall it being good for the money but not particularly memorable. I'll have to revisit it.
post #13161 of 17663
Sterling, '75s across the board have tended to be a very long lived vintage. The problem with many of them is that the fruit dries up befor the tannins fade. But good luck with it, worth the risk probably.
post #13162 of 17663
I have not had white port since the 80s when a friend would bring it home from Portugal on his yearly visit to the homeland. What got you into those?
post #13163 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

Hmm, I've had that and recall it being good for the money but not particularly memorable. I'll have to revisit it.

It has the elements that I find I really prefer across regions and varietals: jammy and good acidity. This is up there with the best Rioja's, Barbera's, the best Argentinians... dare I even say... Shafer One Point Five... they have a commonality I like.

Was also the rare bottle I drank alone/without food and was pleasing in this regard.
post #13164 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I have not had white port since the 80s when a friend would bring it home from Portugal on his yearly visit to the homeland. What got you into those?
I learned this recipe in cooking school that called for it in a sauce. I had like 80% of a bottle left after making at home and so I drank some one night and thought "hey, this is pretty good!" It's not expensive, I think the Dow's I have now cost me $12. My last bottle was round $20 and I can't say it was $8 better. So, Dow's it is for now.
post #13165 of 17663
You drink it chilled, I assume...
post #13166 of 17663
Nope, RT.
post #13167 of 17663
My friend used to serve it room temp with sugar cookies. He said that's how they always sipped it back home.
post #13168 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My friend used to serve it room temp with sugar cookies. He said that's how they always sipped it back home.

I think my fillings just fell out shog[1].gif
post #13169 of 17663
I recently had some (non-production) late harvest, botrytisized Chardonnay that was picked (up off the ground) at something like 48 brix and only fermented to 3% alcohol. I can't remember what the grams/liter of sugar was, but it would have been astronomical. I can't handle wines that sweet.
post #13170 of 17663
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

Speaking of PJ Kuhn, have you had his white pinot noir? Dee Vine used to import it and I had half a case or so in the early 00s. It was a great quaffer and a good ringer for a blind tasting. I took a bottle to a dinner at R&G lounge once with some wine geeks and one guy actually nailed it. I was impressed.
I have only tried Kühn's Riesling wines. But I will keep it on my "to drink" list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Sterling, '75s across the board have tended to be a very long lived vintage. The problem with many of them is that the fruit dries up befor the tannins fade. But good luck with it, worth the risk probably.
Thanks, will report back!

BTW, all I am drinking apart from water, tea and espresso until my exams are over is apple/quince juice (homegrown). Not exactly a perfect substitute for a Riesling Kabinett but far better for my concentration...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread