or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 811

post #12151 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

inlove.gif with Bethel Heights.
Domaine Drouhn, Domaine Serene, Alexana, Argyle, Chehalem, Penner-Ash, Shea, Beaux Freres.
Most of those are in the Dundee Hills area and some are in the Ribbon Ridge (I think) area. I think you could probably make Dundee Hills a destination.

Reminds me I need to get some more as I am sitting on 1 last bottle of '06 Justice Vineyard that was brought back from a trip to OR a few years back.

Have you had any Westrey Pio? I know they are in that area, are well regarded, and get fruit from some of the same vineyards.
post #12152 of 17485
No, I have not. Worth tracking down? I do like OR Pinots as they tend to be an entirely different animal than CA Pinots.
post #12153 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

No, I have not. Worth tracking down? I do like OR Pinots as they tend to be an entirely different animal than CA Pinots.

I've been told they are much closer to Burgundy Pinots.
post #12154 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I've been told they are much closer to Burgundy Pinots.

Not universally but there are excellent examples. Several have employed European winemakers to help with just that. the Shea and JK are both much more "old world". But there are certainly some "new world" Pinot makers in Oregon.
post #12155 of 17485
Thread Starter 
Thx guys. Will check out.
post #12156 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I've been told they are much closer to Burgundy Pinots.

Not universally but there are excellent examples. Several have employed European winemakers to help with just that. the Shea and JK are both much more "old world". But there are certainly some "new world" Pinot makers in Oregon.

Drouhin was started by the owners of Maison Joseph Drouhin, of Burgundy fame. The current Drouhins started it back in the 80s (Robert) and his daughter Veroneque is the wine maker.
post #12157 of 17485
I have been taking a break from the beer world and trying various wines. Im just a poor college kid but this is what I have tried so far. Besides maybe one(which I think was a bad bottle) they where all pretty decent.

263
263
post #12158 of 17485
Jumping on the cheap Bordeaux train, which I shall henceforth refer to as the "Manton Express".

2005 Croix de Thomas (St. Emilion) $17 or so.

469

70% Merlot. Very nice daily drinker. Lots of fruit and moderate tannins. This could actually age really well for a few years. Bought two bottles. May go back for a case.
post #12159 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post

I have been taking a break from the beer world and trying various wines. Im just a poor college kid but this is what I have tried so far. Besides maybe one(which I think was a bad bottle) they where all pretty decent.
263
That Domaine Tempier, unless it's the bottle that you think might have been bad, is great stuff.
post #12160 of 17485
K-dub, did you pull the trigger on that Champs?
post #12161 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

That Domaine Tempier, unless it's the bottle that you think might have been bad, is great stuff.

Oh no that along with the other Bandol are probably the two I enjoyed the most.
post #12162 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

K-dub, did you pull the trigger on that Champs?
Have a sample bottle coming in on Monday. Will post thoughts afterward. Price is good enough that as long as it isn't *bad* I will bring it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post

Oh no that along with the other Bandol are probably the two I enjoyed the most.
fistbump.gif
post #12163 of 17485
I just had K&L send me another three pack. Have 5 in house now. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

If you don't like it just PM me, don't post, so people will not know how bad my palate is.
post #12164 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post

I have been taking a break from the beer world and trying various wines. Im just a poor college kid but this is what I have tried so far. Besides maybe one(which I think was a bad bottle) they where all pretty decent.
263
263

The Chateau Simard is awesome, I have had several this year. Also that 2004 Cornas is fucking amazing. The Bandol probably needs another 5 years to soften up.

I had a 2007 Chateau Tire pe Diem last night. Really, really nice bord. $10. Probably get a case this week. I have noticed that Jenny & Francois always have really great values.
post #12165 of 17485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

inlove.gif with Bethel Heights.
Domaine Drouhn, Domaine Serene, Alexana, Argyle, Chehalem, Penner-Ash, Shea, Beaux Freres.
Most of those are in the Dundee Hills area and some are in the Ribbon Ridge (I think) area. I think you could probably make Dundee Hills a destination.

Additionally, Patricia Green, Adelsheim and Bergstrom make some pretty nice pinots. Sass is very drinkable for the price. Frankly, I can't spend $50 on Oregon Pinot when you can get good Burgundy for the same price. Some people love them though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread