or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
tonight was a nero d'alvola. Usually a top pick for a great weekday wine, the choice is made easier by having a Sicilian girlfriend here.

Unfortunately, this wine didn't seem very Italian. Huge berry jam on the nose, but not much else. Same thing on the palate, it just didn't have that "it" factor for Italian reds, no terroire. Just some fruit and then a weak finish. A shame, first so-so bottle of nero d'alvola I've had in a long time.

The caponata, however, was splendid.

+1 on the nero d`avola recommendation. For extremely reasonably priced Shiraz type wines, I really like these wines from Sicily. Much better and cheaper than Australia and California.
post #122 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post
My favourite CAD$20.00 Shiraz anywhere is

Only three dollars more and in a different universe than their entry level Koonunga Shiraz (a fruit bomb with no character).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I'm next in need of a quick R2D purchase.


On another note, does anyone have experience with Tempranillo wines from Spain? I've had a pretty good experience picking random ones at Spanish restaurants lately, and I wouldn't mind buying a few for storing at home.
post #123 of 17895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killua View Post
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I'm next in need of a quick R2D purchase.


On another note, does anyone have experience with Tempranillo wines from Spain? I've had a pretty good experience picking random ones at Spanish restaurants lately, and I wouldn't mind buying a few for storing at home.

Tasted this earlier in the month. Was delicious. US$40.00



Less success with this one, but maybe I was not in the mood. Gets great reviews with my friends.



A guest bought a Rioja to one of our dinner parties. I remember the name Bourdin. But I can't find it or remember anything else about it. It's CAD$27.00 at the LCBO. It was excellent! I'll see if I can find it today and report back to the thread.
post #124 of 17895
Picked this up in 2006 (not my image, no camera handy) based on a Parker review. I usually don't do that, but got caught up in the Bordeaux release that year. Won't be touching it for a while, so wondering if anyone has experience with this estate / wine?

post #125 of 17895
that is a second growth St. Julien, some very serious juice right there. Set that aside for 10 years before you open it or let it go a full 20 and see the awesome within.
post #126 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilia View Post
Less success with this one, but maybe I was not in the mood. Gets great reviews with my friends.


This one is on the wine list at my favourite Spanish restaurant, at $110. Could give it a go if I'm in the mood.

Thanks for the help.
post #127 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure View Post
imo, rhys is making the best burgundian styled pinot in the US:
http://www.rhysvineyards.com/

Will check out. That rec you gave on BV Rutherford last year, was spot on.
post #128 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
that is a second growth St. Julien, some very serious juice right there. Set that aside for 10 years before you open it or let it go a full 20 and see the awesome within.

Cool, thanks. Tried another 2003 recently (Bellevue) that I picked up as at the same time as the Leoville...and I won't make the same mistake again consuming so soon.
post #129 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatlese View Post
Cool, thanks. Tried another 2003 recently (Bellevue) that I picked up as at the same time as the Leoville...and I won't make the same mistake again consuming so soon.

oof, the Bellevue-Mondotte??? That is a glorious St. Emillion and the 2003 I've heard is absolutely stunning. That baby needs some time, or a day in the decanter to give you a slight preview of what might be ahead.
post #130 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
oof, the Bellevue-Mondotte??? That is a glorious St. Emillion and the 2003 I've heard is absolutely stunning. That baby needs some time, or a day in the decanter to give you a slight preview of what might be ahead.

Haha...I wish. No, it was this just one:

post #131 of 17895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatlese View Post
Picked this up in 2006 (not my image, no camera handy) based on a Parker review. I usually don't do that, but got caught up in the Bordeaux release that year. Won't be touching it for a while, so wondering if anyone has experience with this estate / wine?


very good wine. When I first started drinking wines I had a bottle of the 1995, but it was really early to drink. Still, Towards the 2nd half of the bottle it opened up nicely and became very complex.
post #132 of 17895
Thread Starter 
I've mentioned the Maysara before. Outstanding. best Oregon Pinot I've had. Unfiltered, so be careful decanting. The Guigal was okay. Needed a decant, but my guest insisted not. Okee dokee. 85/100
post #133 of 17895
Thread Starter 
70% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 10% Petite Syrah, 2% Mataro. Got this on sale this afternoon from the LCBO. (looked all over the damn place for just one of Pands! Nothing. Damn socialism The Ridge was CAD$41.00, $10 off. Just watched the Vainertwat review last night with Jancis. They both loved it and were spot on. 30 minute decant. Needs more. Couldn't wait! Were supposed to head down to a nice afternoon stroll and evening tasting at Reds Bistro but another frigging rainstorm put that to bed. We decided to do other things! Grabbed some nice cheese and just finished this unique Zin. Great fruit. Balanced and sophisticated. Excellent mid pallate but one of the best end runs ever. Very unique. Not sure what it was, but I loved it. 91/100
post #134 of 17895
I had the same Ridge just a few days ago...Tuesday IIRC. I too should have decanted mine longer.
post #135 of 17895
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by binge View Post
I had the same Ridge just a few days ago...Tuesday IIRC. I too should have decanted mine longer.

Did you like it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread