or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Wine Thread - Page 683

post #10231 of 17899
I figured it was a typical northern Rhone blend, which it sounds like it is, but was trying to ellicit an answer more appropriate to the question I asked, i.e. what variety vs. what particular bottle. So, to take another stab at that...your pick is northern Rhone?

Edit: Whoops, my bad. It's from the Languedoc.
post #10232 of 17899
+1 on the riesling and Asian food. It's the only wine I've actually enjoyed with Indian food.

I like champagne with Japanese (is this a clichéd pairing?).
post #10233 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

+1 on the riesling and Asian food. It's the only wine I've actually enjoyed with Indian food.

I like champagne with Japanese (is this a clichéd pairing?).

Champagne is incredibly versatile, food wise.

I only drink riesling/ gewurtz if the asian dish is spicy. Otherwise it's beer.

And zin/malbec/syrah for bbq with me.
post #10234 of 17899
Is it just me or do folks associate Kermit with northern Rhone when they see he's imported a Rhone? It could also be a bad association on my part due to a small N.
post #10235 of 17899
It's a Languedoc, Pio, only a couple of kilometers from the Mediterranean. That blend seems to be found a lot along the coast from Catalonia to Bandol.

There's a spicy minerality in it that I also find in the Tavel rose I've been drinking, and it is that overtone that I like with meat covered in BBQ sauce. I've drank more southern rhone than northern rhone; of the southern rhones the key seems to be near the coast more than anything else.

Am I getting close to what you are asking?
post #10236 of 17899
champagne is great with most everything. Part of the reason why it may be the bestest wine in the world for me.
post #10237 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_timothy View Post

It's a Languedoc, Pio, only a couple of kilometers from the Mediterranean. That blend seems to be found a lot along the coast from Catalonia to Bandol.

There's a spicy minerality in it that I also find in the Tavel rose I've been drinking, and it is that overtone that I like with meat covered in BBQ sauce. I've drank more southern rhone than northern rhone; of the southern rhones the key seems to be near the coast more than anything else.

Am I getting close to what you are asking?

Yes, I corrected myself when I realized where it was from. The "garrigue" made me think I might be wrong and so I was frown.gif
When I know something is a red blend, Syrah heavy, and from France I automatically assume northern Rhone.
That's exaclty what I was looking for, btw. cheers.gif
post #10238 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Is it just me or do folks associate Kermit with northern Rhone when they see he's imported a Rhone? It could also be a bad association on my part due to a small N.

I associate him far more with southern, especially now that Chave is not in his stable. I think Clape is probably his only great northern Rhone producer at this point, but he has a lot of great stuff from the south, and even more from Provence and the Languedoc.
post #10239 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I haven't had a malbec that I have liked yet.

Interesting- I cannot recall one that I didn't like or at least found drinkable.
post #10240 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


I associate him far more with southern, especially now that Chave is not in his stable. I think Clape is probably his only great northern Rhone producer at this point, but he has a lot of great stuff from the south, and even more from Provence and the Languedoc.

Yes, after I posted that I went and looked up the Kermit in my cellar. I feel like such a newb frown.gif
post #10241 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post


I associate him far more with southern, especially now that Chave is not in his stable. I think Clape is probably his only great northern Rhone producer at this point, but he has a lot of great stuff from the south, and even more from Provence and the Languedoc.

I had a great Corbiere from him recently. A steal too.

Many have said that he is not much for Bordeaux, but the 99' Guillot and the 05' Bellevue were great that I had recently. Definitely lighter than some other bords that I have had. That seems to be his thing though.
post #10242 of 17899
You can get good Bordeaux anywhere. Kermit seems to go after unknown gems for great QPR. No such thing as that in bordeaux.
post #10243 of 17899
Not true at all. There are lots of values in Bordeaux and once you move out of the big villages you come across wines that most Americans have never heard of.
post #10244 of 17899
and really bad ones that dopes like me buy and then pour down the sink!
post #10245 of 17899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post

You can get good Bordeaux anywhere. Kermit seems to go after unknown gems for great QPR. No such thing as that in bordeaux.

It isn't just that. Remember that Bordeaux, the city and wine trade, has basically been run by importers for a few hundred years. Most of what KL imports is wine that was traditionally consumed domestically, so the business hasn't grown up around the importers, and he can actually add some value. In Bordeaux, that just isn't the case (hehehe.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › The Official Wine Thread