or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › your thoughts on shirt armband?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

your thoughts on shirt armband?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
the SF forum thread search engine returned with nothing on armband, so here I go...

Since I am a RTW guy with a bunch of dress shirts and jackets of various sleeve lengths, it won't be a logical solution to alter my entire wardrope, I thought armband would be the most economical resort.

my question is, since armbands are soooo out-of-sight, matter-o-fact I didn't even know they were called "armbands" and had to google around to finally pinpoint what I was looking for, are they as dead as pants suspenders? are people too concerned with armbands that the sight of it indicates the person who is wearing them are wearing cheap shirts (though I only plan to use it to accomodate jackets) or lack of intellegence in alteration?

last question, are they comfortable? from the look of some of the bands on sale I'm afraid they'll block my blood circulation.

what are you thoughts? thank you
post #2 of 30
I sometimes wear them with some of my RTW shirts where the sleeves are too long. Ideally you would just get the shirts altered but arm-bands are a much cheaper short-term solution. I obviously wouldn't wear them without a jacket though, you don't want anyone to see them. I don't really find them uncomfortable at all...
post #3 of 30
I actually tried a pair once but my arms are too big. They seemed a novelty but upon reflection, they sort of announced that you could not afford to get your shirts made at a time when it was far more common to do so.
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfans124 View Post
are they as dead as pants suspenders?

Huh? Suspenders are far from dead among those who wear suits and many of the better pants still come with suspender buttons. Quite a few people here (myself included) wear them. Armbands, on the other hand, are about to be taken off life support, I believe.
Edit: More armbands out there than I knew. Suspenders, on the other hand, I see every day.
post #5 of 30
I have a pair from the vintage shirt company. Before I started with MTM/MTO shirts I would buy shirts 2L (in Japan) that fit my neck. However, the sleeves were too long but with these, things were in order. Comfortable but It was different at first. Now, when I wear those older shirts I don't really think about it so I never bothered to have them re-tailored.
post #6 of 30
They're fine. Get some from Albert Thurston and grab some boxcloth braces at the same time. I've also seen some for sale on ebay for less. Unless you have bulging biceps, you shouldn't have any circulation problems. Wore mine yesterday at a wedding. Took off my jacket a few times during the reception because I was overheating; no one noticed or commented on them.
post #7 of 30
They are a bit wild wild west. It's only $15 to get a shirt sleeve shotened.
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne View Post
They're fine. Get some from Albert Thurston and grab some boxcloth braces at the same time. I've also seen some for sale on ebay for less. Unless you have bulging biceps, you shouldn't have any circulation problems. Wore mine yesterday at a wedding. Took off my jacket a few times during the reception because I was overheating; no one noticed or commented on them.

The last manufacturer in the UK stopped making the traditional ones 3 years ago, and we bought
the last 24,000 pairs - now only a few dozen left, so...get buying!
There are some cheap imitations coming out of China but I have to say they are a poor substitute.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracemaker View Post
The last manufacturer in the UK stopped making the traditional ones 3 years ago, and we bought the last 24,000 pairs - now only a few dozen left, so...get buying! There are some cheap imitations coming out of China but I have to say they are a poor substitute.
You sold 24,000 pair? I never see these on anyone and it seems like someone who would worry about this would get their shirts made. I suppose the fact they are no longer made is an indication of their popularity. Still, I think an American would consider these a quaint affectation which evokes a world not dissimilar to the dogs playing pool velvet painting.
post #10 of 30
Hiya

Of those 24k pairs, I bought two pairs. I found that even though I altered my sleeve length to fit correctly for one jacket, the length might not be right for another jacket--maybe because of arm-hole height or size or the lining material, or whatever.

With the arm bands, I can adjust the length in real time, and that is a good thing.

-j
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff View Post
You sold 24,000 pair? I never see these on anyone and it seems like someone who would worry about this would get their shirts made. I suppose the fact they are no longer made is an indication of their popularity. Still, I think an American would consider these a quaint affectation which evokes a world not dissimilar to the dogs playing pool velvet painting.

In the dim and distant past I have sold 36,000 to one customer...
They were a hot item in Japan a few years ago - there was a fad for European shirts with European sleeve lengths - hence the demand.
The last maker ('St George' was their brand) were taken over by a US car spring manufacturer - they bought the business as the UK company made springs for the UK car industry as well. The armband machines were Edwardian and pretty well knackered - so in the fullness of time they must have decided there was little future in them, and stopped.
post #12 of 30
seriously, how hard is it to have sleeves that fit?
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracemaker View Post
In the dim and distant past I have sold 36,000 to one customer... They were a hot item in Japan a few years ago - there was a fad for European shirts with European sleeve lengths - hence the demand. The last maker ('St George' was their brand) were taken over by a US car spring manufacturer - they bought the business as the UK company made springs for the UK car industry as well. The armband machines were Edwardian and pretty well knackered - so in the fullness of time they must have decided there was little future in them, and stopped.
I'm sure on some, they look quite doggie:
post #14 of 30
My tailor tend to make my shirts with too long sleeves that shrinks down to their proper size after two washes. I think arm bands may come in handy in the initial wearings. Where to get them online?
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post
seriously, how hard is it to have sleeves that fit?

That was my thought as well, but given it's unlikely anyone will see them, I suppose there's nothing wrong with them. People can't disapprove of something they can't see.

Just remember to wear a black one if they shoot the man who said "peace could last forever."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › your thoughts on shirt armband?