or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Tesla car what do you think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Tesla car what do you think? - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I see what you mean but who gives a shit? He likes how the car looks, he most likely bought the thing with his own money and isn't contributing to the pollution of the earth (assuming that we'll come up with a proper method of disposal for the batteries) in the same manner as someone driving a regular sports car. I'd bet that over 95% of people who own high performance cars never come even close to using their car's potential, nor do they drive in a way that comes even close to exploiting what the car can do. It looks like, it makes them feel good, and that's probably the reason they own it... same with this guy most likely.


I agree that it's his money and he can spend it how he likes and can buy the car for whatever reason, however, I think it hits back to what Farfisa and I were touching on regarding Tesla's marketing. While it's true that most sports car owners will likely not really come close using the car's full potential, sports cars typically have certain characteristics that make them considered a "sports car." Tesla's initial marketing was based on it beating Porsches and Ferraris in drag races, but the 0-60 time is all you seem to hear about when it comes to the car's sportiness. It definitely doesn't handle like a sports car, being heavy with the batteries with poor weight balance, and its stone-like low-rolling resistance tires do nothing to help with that. So, if you want to know about their mass market impact, it will likely depend on their ability to continue to market their cars, however, it clearly has forced companies to look towards finally designing better looking electric cars.
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Ok now I see what you mean. That makes sense.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roikins View Post
Besides, I've never and will likely never see a Tesla show up at any track event I'm driving at, so might as well see his golf cart silently speed away to 45mph.

They have shown up at track events, but they were towed there, and the car shut down after 2 laps because it overheated.

--Andre
post #19 of 27
^^^^ But those were two wicked pissah laps.

Besides, Tesla represents the kind of clean energy/manufacturing company that Obama says will create millions of jobs, so it must be good.
post #20 of 27
I commend to everyone the story of Elon Musk's last venture, x.com. It's a triumph of marketing prowess over business model.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
I'm concerned about the eventual environmental impact from the disposed batteries.

yup! now, if they can make those [Logan's Run] ice-shavers to look more like that__ that would fit bill of a renewable, eco-friendly alternative.
post #22 of 27
Reminds me of the Top Gear M3 vs. Prius test: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...ius_180378.htm The results are pretty surprising. --Andre
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
They have shown up at track events, but they were towed there, and the car shut down after 2 laps because it overheated.

--Andre


Heh, I hope they were towed there using clean diesel trucks.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
I commend to everyone the story of Elon Musk's last venture, x.com. It's a triumph of marketing prowess over business model.

Tesla in my humble engineering opinion = hype.

Fisker on the other hand, has shown some promise.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Do you guys like the look of it? I think it looks kind of slick, sort of like the Maserattis.

What impact are these expected to have on the mass market?

Cannot wait for it to go IPO. Another no brainer investment that would double in a first 6 months.
post #26 of 27
I know very little about cars, but I have ridden in one of these and found it amazing. One of the designers told me that the accelaration is so fast, they have to use software as a governor to limit it, otherwise people would hit the pedal expecting it to behave like a gas car and rocket forward unexpectedly.

The car is amazingly quiet as well.

That said, I have no idea how to properly evaluate its true merits/defects.

One possibiity for solving the electric car problem is battery switching stations, which a company called Better Place is working to develop.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I know very little about cars, but I have ridden in one of these and found it amazing. One of the designers told me that the accelaration is so fast, they have to use software as a governor to limit it, otherwise people would hit the pedal expecting it to behave like a gas car and rocket forward unexpectedly.

The car is amazingly quiet as well.

That said, I have no idea how to properly evaluate its true merits/defects.

One possibiity for solving the electric car problem is battery switching stations, which a company called Better Place is working to develop.

The Tesla is the black fused suit of the automotive world.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Tesla car what do you think?