or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Please build me a computer (NOT GETTING A MAC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please build me a computer (NOT GETTING A MAC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES) - Page 3

post #31 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Why build a machine anymore? Just get a Dell on Sale. They have good warranties. Upgrade RAM and the graphics card yourself.

I don't even bother anymore with building my own. I just buy what is prettiest.

It's worth it still for very high end machines. Seems for the lower end machines the logic works out and they tend to come in either equal in price, or slightly cheaper, for what you get.
post #32 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
The XPS lineup is generally geared towards gamers. Do you game?

No and I didn't pick any options that would really support playing games.
post #33 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
I like avast for virus protection
I´m quite impressed with avast, too. Does a great job on my computer, especially for freeware.
post #34 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
I feel like the "build your own PC with parts" business has devolved into a bit of a racket these days. How is the end-consumer going to source components for less money than giants like Dell and HP? The answer is he's not.

OEM prices and low margins through volume-sellers.
post #35 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid View Post
It's worth it still for very high end machines. Seems for the lower end machines the logic works out and they tend to come in either equal in price, or slightly cheaper, for what you get.

Or if you want silent and a huge case that you can fill with 2tb drives for your blue-ray collection

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2446
post #36 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Or if you want silent and a huge case that you can fill with 2tb drives for your blue-ray collection

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2446

Perhaps "niche" would work better than "high end", cause I was including stuff like silent PCs, water cooled systems, strange form factors, case modding (even without ultra high end parts).

Using some of the stranger form factors for silent PCs is really a lot of fun. MiniITX front end, and then some i7 beast for serving stored somewhere it can't be heard.
post #37 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
No and I didn't pick any options that would really support playing games.
So then why did you choose the XPS line? Hell, for $2000 you could have gotten a Macbook Pro, free iPod touch, free printer, and had $250 left over.
post #38 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I literally cannot stand computers. Money isn't much of a concern, honestly. I work on my computer and while I don't know any crazy shit I generally do have many many things going on at once (a lot of video files... porn, art films, dailies, usually a teleconference type thing, music, a lot of internet windows and programs like final draft and Reason - that one can take a lot). So, I'm tired of my laptop being too slow. Can I just buy my way to a computer that can do most of these simple things without waiting for shit to load and whatever? I want to use Windows. I don't understand UNIX or whatever it is, and no I will never get a mac. If I were to buy something with a really fast processor and a ton of ram would the damn thing just do what I ask it to do as soon as I click on it? Very recently my friend came to live with me while he was waiting for his place to be finished and he's a well respected fashion photographer. He has a computer that he used for really high flying video and photo editing and I used it for a day doing all the above things and honestly it worked like a dream. It's overkill for what I need, but it really worked. So can you guys help me buy components or point me to a brand that will make some motherfucker of a computer (I don't need gay graphics capabilities)... just something that will let me type/internet/porn/videos/everything in fucking peace? The security guard downstairs has a son at DePaul doing computer engineering or whatever and I've told him I'll hire the kid to come assemble it... but he isn't around (he's volunteering in Sri Lanka or whatever). Please help me. Thank you, much appreciated.
Why bother building? You're not going to have the experience to build something that runs really stably. The Dell Precision workstation desktops for example - in particular the T7500 series - are screamingly fast, quiet for what they are, extremely reliable, well supported, very flexible and can be set up for either without gay graphics capabilities (NVS cards) or with gay graphics capabilities (Quadro cards, or order with lowest graphics option and pop in your own Geforce cards). http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/d...00&s=bsd&cs=04 To get something as powerful, quiet for the power, and as stable a machine you're going to have to invest a fair bit of thought - certainly well past the intermediate builder's scope - into duplicating it on a DIY. If you're after something luggable packing plenty of power the same line has the M6400, which is one of the fastest notebooks I've owned for outright productivity (with RAID0 SSD's), but not as overkill gigantic as some gaming monstrosities. Specify quad-core, gay or even gayer graphics, and leave the drive stock - and buy a couple of 250Gb SSD's to pop in there in RAID0. http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/n...d&cs=04&~ck=mn EDIT: Jeez, didn't see it had been solved with a budget machine. You'd think being the same company it'd be the same, but no - consumer XPS support is the pits and the build quality isn't that hot either. I spent one hour telling a supervisor that a wobbly keyboard was unacceptable, and he spent the same time telling me it was fine because he owned one and it was like that too.
post #39 of 121
I build custom computers if that's what you're into. If you're in NYC and are interested let me know.
post #40 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyharding View Post
Why bother building? You're not going to have the experience to build something that runs really stably. The Dell Precision workstation desktops for example - in particular the T7500 series - are screamingly fast, quiet for what they are, extremely reliable, well supported, very flexible and can be set up for either without gay graphics capabilities (NVS cards) or with gay graphics capabilities (Quadro cards, or order with lowest graphics option and pop in your own Geforce cards). http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/d...00&s=bsd&cs=04 To get something as powerful, quiet for the power, and as stable a machine you're going to have to invest a fair bit of thought - certainly well past the intermediate builder's scope - into duplicating it on a DIY. If you're after something luggable packing plenty of power the same line has the M6400, which is one of the fastest notebooks I've owned for outright productivity (with RAID0 SSD's), but not as overkill gigantic as some gaming monstrosities. Specify quad-core, gay or even gayer graphics, and leave the drive stock - and buy a couple of 250Gb SSD's to pop in there in RAID0. http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/n...d&cs=04&~ck=mn EDIT: Jeez, didn't see it had been solved with a budget machine. You'd think being the same company it'd be the same, but no - consumer XPS support is the pits and the build quality isn't that hot either. I spent one hour telling a supervisor that a wobbly keyboard was unacceptable, and he spent the same time telling me it was fine because he owned one and it was like that too.
So XPS is actually shit? Someone here said it's like their high performance line? If it isn't as good I have someone who can use it and I'll just get something better. I am not going to tolerate waiting for anything. EDIT: I just looked at the machines you linked to, and the XPS one I ordered seems to have a lot more power than any of those. I ordered 8 GB of ram and a faster processor. I didn't buy a monitor from dell nor any accessories whatsoever so I guess that's why the price was low. Or wait, are the duo core only for XPS? It looks like this one is a quadrouple one and i don't remember the XPS one saying Xeon. So is this really better?
post #41 of 121
Don't sweat it. For your stated needs you'll be more than good.
post #42 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
Don't sweat it. For your stated needs you'll be more than good.

God HELP YOU if I'm not.


Otherwise I'm fucking buying one of those server things and using it as my computer. I hate waiting.
post #43 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
God HELP YOU if I'm not.


Otherwise I'm fucking buying one of those server things and using it as my computer. I hate waiting.

I'm also impatient. If you normally turn off your computer at night or whenever something that may be useful to you is to start using hibernate instead (with the occasional regular poweroff to keep things "fresh"). What this does is to save the state of your computer to your hard drive and next time you turn it on it will resume from where you left off i.e. any open windows/programs will be as you left them. It's kind of like a hybrid between standby and turning off.
post #44 of 121
This thread is fucking retarded. There is no need to custom build a computer. People that do that have way too much time on their hands and there is no benefit unless you sit around all day jacking off to games. www.dell.com/outlet -> Precision Workstation -> Buy. done. or lenovo.com/cpp -> D10 -> Buy. done. or lenovo.com/cpp -> T500 -> Buy. if you want a laptop. STFU
post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbie View Post
I'm also impatient. If you normally turn off your computer at night or whenever something that may be useful to you is to start using hibernate instead (

Why would you ever turn your computer off?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Please build me a computer (NOT GETTING A MAC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES)