• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum Centralia Knitting Mills Varsity Jackets--order closed

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a tl;dr type, scroll down for the specs and the cost.

As has been discussed on a few occasions before, Centralia Knitting Mills has been making dandy woolen products in Washington state since 1939, and they make a sweet varsity/letterman jacket. The American-made quality, never-changed-never-needed-to-change styling, and tradition of heritage have a lot of appeal for Styleforum types. Lines like Engineered Garments have (reportedly) used CKM as a maker for knitwear, and their custom varsity/letterman jackets fetch $300+ on Rakuten. They use 24 oz. boiled melton wool (all virgin) and full-grain leather to craft jackets that are little different today than they were 30 years ago or more.

Evolving from the letter sweaters worn by college athletes in the late 1800s (supposedly, originally at Harvard), varsity jackets have been the mark of proud sportsmen for nearly a century (and straightedgers since the 80s), but the past few seasons have seen a new explosion of these pieces in the collective consciousness, in designer collections and men's lines. Pedigreed vintage jackets hang in shops like Mister Freedom; Supreme does a varsity most years; APC put out a S/S09 bomber with varsity styling that sold out quickly; Hedi Slimane has been photographed wearing an embroidered version; Comme des Garcons made varsity-influenced sportcoats for F/W08; and Balenciaga's long, lean take is out this fall. Fuuma almost bought it! He's Canadian and arguably cooler than anyone.

In trying to arrive at a consensus design for the Styleforum buy, I polled this to death. I've talked with Centralia and I've talked with Mauro Farinelli (of Farinelli's in Arlington, VA; Mauro's getting involved as a favor to Styleforum to make the ordering and shipping process easier"”essentially so you don't have to count exclusively on me). The final design for this group buy is a minimal version that keeps some of the unique elements of CKM jackets (e.g., foldover collar and cuffs) while eschewing details like chenille letters that might make you look like you're a sad alum trying to relive the glory days. I'd rather you recognized other Styleforum members by the general cut of their jib(s), not because you both have a big fuzzy SF on your chest. As for customization, you can order any color combo in the American extracurricular athletic spectrum (see swatches below). I expect to go with dark cardinal wool and dark gray leather, coincidentally not too far off SF colors and the colors of Enfield Tennis Academy.

I hope to get us a piece of classic, American-manufactured sportswear, made to SF standards, for a reasonable price. This initial run will be limited to ease logistics. If it goes well, we may be able to make more jackets and/or different designs.

The specs:

"¢\t24 oz. boiled melton wool body
"¢\tFull-grain leather raglan sleeves
"¢\t"Swiss knit" wool foldover collar, cuffs, and hem
"¢\tSnap button front
"¢\tLeather trim at pockets
"¢\tNylon lining
"¢\tAthletic cut for ease of movement"”Centralia is not Balenciaga or ToJ. Sizing down may give you a less full cut, but unfortunately I will not be able to accept returns. I stole a size chart from a .jp site to give people an idea of sizes.
Code:
SizeShoulder \tchest\t length\t sleeve
34(xs)
36(s) \t44cm\t54cm \t61cm \t62cm
38(m) \t46\t57\t64 \t63
40(l) \t49 \t59 \t68 \t65
42(xl)\t51\t62\t70\t67

Which equals APPROXIMATELY

36(s)\t17in\t21in\t24in\t24.5in
38(m)\t18\t22.5 \t25\t25
40(l) \t19.5\t23 \t26 \t25.5
42(xl) \t20\t24.5\t27.5\t26.5​

Larger sizes and extralong arms are available.

The fare:
Final price, including CONUS shipping, will be $175.
If you would like international shipping, contact me and we'll figure something out.

We are trying to finalize orders soonisher than later (order deadline Friday August 7) so, with the estimated 6-week lead time, the jackets should be ready in September.

If you would like to order, copy and fill out the order form below, send it to [email protected] and [email protected], and Paypal $175 to Mauro at [email protected].

Color options are below the form, rendered as well as possible with my crappy point and shoot.

NAME:
STYLEFORUM USERNAME:
ADDRESS:
PHONE:
E-MAIL:
SIZE (numerical):
BODY COLOR:
SLEEVE COLOR:
POCKET TRIM COLOR:
SNAP COLOR (snaps generally match body color):
KNIT COLOR (collar, cuffs, hem):
STRIPES ON KNIT TRIM? Y/N
STRIPE STYLE (Single, Double, Triple; feathered or not)
STRIPE COLOR(S):
WEARER HEIGHT (yes, CKM requests):
WEARER WEIGHT(yes, CKM requests):
COMMENTS:

Wool colors:
meltonsheet.jpg

Leather colors:
lthrsheet.jpg

Knit trim swatch sheet (for sweaters, but just for reference--knit trim colors correspond roughly with melton colors)
Centralia_Sample.jpg

521583480_2e4b98f001.jpg

CKM sign and knit swatch sheet sued with permission from Archival Clothing.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm probably gonna go with ToJ just cuz I'm such a skinny asshole, but I can't wait to see how these turn out.

You deserve major rep for all your work on this, shoreman.

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Fuuma almost bought it! He's Canadian and arguably cooler than anyone.

I thought Fuuma was French.
confused.gif

Transcendental

Reaction score
This is cheaper and probably better made than my own high school letterman

contemplating the buy

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, so you don't have to get the burgundy/grey SF colors, you can choose other colors?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i never visit streetwear, but i'm down!
fing02[1].gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ you should its where the cool kids hang.

Django

Reaction score
Possibly get some better pictures of the swatches?

Looking at something between that willow and gold color

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Django
Possibly get some better pictures of the swatches?
Just shots in natural light would make it easier to differentiate between shades, ie purple vs. nw purple.

I am on board, merely a matter of scrounging up 175 bucks by the deadline.

mgoose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I expect to go with dark cardinal wool and dark gray leather, coincidentally not too far off SF colors and the colors of Enfield Tennis Academy.

A great guy and DFW fan. Anyways thanks again for all the work, we'll see how my budget looks by the end of august what with all the weddings I'm going to soon, but it looks very tempting.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can do re: pics. My camera is terrible and currently not in my possession. Maybe I'll just pay the ransom at kinko's for a color scan.

I may be mistaken, but there was discussion of XS at one point. I pressume that's not happening?
To be honest, I'll have to look at my notes and their catalog again. I believe 36 is the smallest standard size they offer in men's (but see the pic below, labeled 34?!), but they make women's and kids, too, so I'll see what we can do.

Just for ref, some pictures. These aren't necessarily AVAILABLE in this run--many use materials not in the CKM standard offering, but they are the work of CKM.

Vintage skookums
19975a.jpg

23AAE0009E364DEDA952EF6B87023BF3.jpg

Surcoat by CKM
img10594742002.jpg

CKM jackets for sale on rakuten
img55713143.jpg

skm-le-st-nvc_1.jpg

Non-skookum varsitys, just for fun-

77.jpg

vj1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads