• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People on Yelp: Why do you all suck?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
People on Yelp are sometimes so funny it's sad.
Looking up a pretty decent place in Chicago, I came across these two comments:

(1 * review)

If you r a strange-o that feels good about overpaying for small portions and enjoy bad latin music, ______ is the place for u. We received 2 pebbles they called scallops for $8 as an appetizer and then our "meal" came and I was wondering how this place can justify charging the outrageous prices THEY DO, for the small portions they offer. I've never seen my gf finish an entire meal while we were on a date before(she's not a big eater), but ______ can now make that claim. If you're an average sized man and plan on going to _____, please make sure to schedule a trip to burger king afterwards to make sure you are properly fed for the evening. This place is perfect for anorexic women, but if you want to feel satisfied after spending $30 on some latin dish you've never heard of PLEASE AVOID _______.

I dunno. Just struck me like a complete doucher. Especially considering that the restaurant is pretty decent and the portion sizes are seriously nothing to raise your nose at.

Another, same place.
(4 * review)

A completely competent establishment. It really deserves 5 stars, but I did not enjoy the duck as much as I thought. Starting at the bar, great, friendly bartenders, mixing up great Mojitos and recommend beers from a list that focuses on Central and South America. Server was great. Attentive, friendly, always asking if we need more drinks. Food came quickly, and was well presented. My duck was expertly cooked. A fine dish, in and of itself. Just not what I was looking for that evening. My fault, not the restaurant.

One visit to _____ and it's easy to see why this place is always packed on the weekend. It can offer something to everybody. A trendy, but unpretentious place that can cater to large groups or couples out for a romantic dinner. I'd definitely return

So you think it deserves five stars, but you gave it four because you ordered a dish you weren't in the mood for, that you admit was expertly cooked? WTF?

Responders: either continue with the pile-on of ****** yelpers or post your own ****** reviews for us to make fun of you.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, people are different and get angry or stupid about things that they see as important.

OMG $8 small plate??? NO WAY!!!! You never see those prices at McDs, who do those pricks think they are?????

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Obviously, the person who gave the 1 star review is really really fat and is only used to eating super sized portions, as is his girlfriend. Fat people generally think they're not as fat as they really are.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some people try too hard to be funny and witty and it makes them look like douchebags.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is why restaurant and bar owners really hate yelp.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
some people try too hard to be funny and witty and it makes them look like douchebags.

hay I resemble that remark.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you can never get enough scallops. Unless they're the size of hockey pucks. Then you can get enough.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people don't know what's good. Restaurant reviews are one of these things for which I trust proper critics far more than signs of popularity (e.g. Zagat scores, difficulty to get a table, yelp reviews, etc...).

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Most people don't know what's good. Restaurant reviews are one of these things for which I trust proper critics far more than signs of popularity (e.g. Zagat scores, difficulty to get a table, yelp reviews, etc...).
This is damn important. "Social media" and social help sites are a disaster in this area. Knowledge isn't a democratic process.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Also the groupthink kills me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look at yelp reviews for new restaurants. Obviously, take everything said with a bucket of salt. You can usually tell, however, if someone's a foodie, or some dickhead just trying to be witty.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like yelp....at times. most reviews are kind of accurate.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Knowledge isn't a democratic process.

That is a great quote.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually, If I see a review where people are complaining about pricing, separate checks, sharing plates and a decent restaurant I am confident that the person doesnt know good food.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Usually, If I see a review where people are complaining about pricing, separate checks, sharing plates and a decent restaurant I am confident that the person doesnt know good food.

+1

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps because many, overweighted people with, conflicted self image are, on there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads