or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My Westons are *trying* to kill me!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Westons are *trying* to kill me!!!!

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Today, a rainy day in Freedom, I slipped on my Weston Savile 574s to run some errands. They're leathersoled, but I figured that having worn them and broken them in I wouldn't have serious issues walking around. Well, I slipped and fell on the stairs in the metro, slipped and had to catch myself in the street, and kept feeling the soles were very slippery walking around. This hasn;t been the case with other leather-soled shoes I've worn in the rain (Green, Trickers, C&J) -- has anyone else been betrayed by their Westons?
post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMan
Today, a rainy day in Freedom, I slipped on my Weston Savile 574s to run some errands. They're leathersoled, but I figured that having worn them and broken them in I wouldn't have serious issues walking around. Well, I slipped and fell on the stairs in the metro, slipped and had to catch myself in the street, and kept feeling the soles were very slippery walking around. This hasn;t been the case with other leather-soled shoes I've worn in the rain (Green, Trickers, C&J) -- has anyone else been betrayed by their Westons?

Oui RJman. The ultra-high gloss waxed floors in my building and Weston's almost sent me headlong down a flight of stairs. I haven't worn any of my Westons since.
post #3 of 37
I have as well. I was going down the stairs at the Union Square Garage in San Francisco and slipped down a half flight. Thankfully, I landed on my feet.
post #4 of 37
Not Westons, but I'm convinced my Harris' have turned on me. Too many near spills to count.
post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 
What amazed me was just how much more slippery they felt than any other leather-soled shoes. When wearing other leather-soled shoes in wet weather, I'll avout walking on things that are slick, like metal gratings. With the Westons, I could feel slipperiness walking on normal flat surfaces, as if I was hydroplaning. Maybe some treatment in the soles?
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMan
What amazed me was just how much more slippery they felt than any other leather-soled shoes. When wearing other leather-soled shoes in wet weather, I'll avout walking on things that are slick, like metal gratings. With the Westons, I could feel slipperiness walking on normal flat surfaces, as if I was hydroplaning. Maybe some treatment in the soles?


My problem has always been with the hard metal toe taps that they have. I don't know if they exist on the Savile line. I love my Chasse Westons, but I sound like a tap dance when I wear them inside, and on slick surfaces, I often slip if I catch the metal toe on the ground.
post #7 of 37
Have your Westons taken any life insurance policies out on you of late, RJMan? Might want to check, just to play it safe....
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
My problem has always been with the hard metal toe taps that they have. I don't know if they exist on the Savile line. I love my Chasse Westons, but I sound like a tap dance when I wear them inside, and on slick surfaces, I often slip if I catch the metal toe on the ground.


I never thought about it Matt, but all my Westons also have the metal toe plate. BTW, I completely agree on the noise factor.
post #9 of 37
It was quite fashionable in the Austro-Hungarian empire to have metal taps installed for precisely that sound.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMan
Today, a rainy day in Freedom, I slipped on my Weston Savile 574s to run some errands. They're leathersoled, but I figured that having worn them and broken them in I wouldn't have serious issues walking around. Well, I slipped and fell on the stairs in the metro, slipped and had to catch myself in the street, and kept feeling the soles were very slippery walking around. This hasn;t been the case with other leather-soled shoes I've worn in the rain (Green, Trickers, C&J) -- has anyone else been betrayed by their Westons?

You should wear rubber soled shoes in the rain. That's what I do.
post #11 of 37
I have never had this problem wearing shoes as long as they have a rubber heel or heel insert. But I have experienced a number of all leather shoes with soles and heels that are the devil to walk around in. On asphalt no problem but on slick floors you have to walk very carefully.

Some shoes can be so bad that if you stop suddenly and make a turn you would be on the floor it was like trying to walk on ball bearings. I had a pair of Florsheims that were especially evil. They had this piece of metal inserted into the heel to keep wear down which offered zero traction. I finally had the heels changed over to rubber now no problem. At one time, I even considered writing to Florsheim and complaining about how dangerous these shoes were.

I would wonder if anyone has ever been seriously injured by his shoes?
post #12 of 37
Buy some Tingleys.
post #13 of 37
RJ - if you had stayed in the US you could sue your own footwear. or at least take out a restraining order keeping them 500 feet from your two feet.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMan
Today, a rainy day in Freedom, I slipped on my Weston Savile 574s to run some errands. They're leathersoled, but I figured that having worn them and broken them in I wouldn't have serious issues walking around. Well, I slipped and fell on the stairs in the metro, slipped and had to catch myself in the street, and kept feeling the soles were very slippery walking around. This hasn;t been the case with other leather-soled shoes I've worn in the rain (Green, Trickers, C&J) -- has anyone else been betrayed by their Westons?

I suspect foul play. Per chance, have you been hanging around non-working, English shirt wearing, car-burning protestors as of late?



Jon.
post #15 of 37
More likely...Olga's revenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › My Westons are *trying* to kill me!!!!