• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Sam Hober silk squares

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
As many of you know, David Hober of Sam Hober makes some exquisite RTW and bespoke neckties. He also makes pocket squares, and today, I recieved a wonderful little package from Thailand. In it were four silk squares:

591027963_bCJbk-XL.jpg

The three on the left are Macclesfield prints, and the one on the right what goes for Madder these days.

At any rate, one of the attributes that impressed me the most was how fantastically well the hand rolled edges are done. I don't recall ever seeing such edges done better. At $35 a square, it is quite a bargain.

Click the photograph below if you want to see a gigantic closeup:

The only thing that could be faulted with these is that they are borderless, but the workmanship and the quality of the silks themselves make me forget that entirely.

David also has quite a selection of Riva shirtings that you can get as squares...I plan on getting some myself given what I have seen with the squares that I recieved today.

- B

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
At any rate, one of the attributes that impressed me the most was how fantastically well the hand rolled edges are done. I don't recall ever seeing such edges done better.
What, IYO, marks the edge rolls as higher quality?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one on the left is fantastic. What's the turn-around on these like now? I've always been put off from ordering by the talk of 6 month waits, but I also saw a post recently that he has almost cleared the back-log of orders?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The one on the left is fantastic. What's the turn-around on these like now? I've always been put off from ordering by the talk of 6 month waits, but I also saw a post recently that he has almost cleared the back-log of orders?

I ordered mine on July 3rd. I think that even with the squares, they are made up MTO.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What, IYO, marks the edge rolls as higher quality?

In my opinion, a small, tight roll that is even throughout, and that is stitched cleanly with regular and fairly dense stitches shows a more craft.

Whether this has any meaning to you is subjective. It would be hard to argue that a square with sloppy edges looks any worse in the pocket...but those edges might not last as long.

- B

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox: Can you make a comparison between the handsewn edges you discussed in this multi-fold tie thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=94314 with those shown on the pocket squares? IMO the edges shown on these pocket squares have a much cleaner appearance. Would you desire similar edges on a tie?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The one on the far left is exquisite. I may copy you and get one. Thanks for the PSA, those edges do look tremendously fine.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
IMO the edges shown on these pocket squares have a much cleaner appearance. Would you desire similar edges on a tie?

With an untipped tie, I would be more concerned with how the stitching appears in front and what contribution, if any, the edge can make to mitigate the tendancy of untipped ties in many fabrics to curl at the bottom.

It is also worth keeping in mind that many makers seek to make hand construction or hand decoration more obviously visible (some makers, of course, even get machines to fake it.)

A. Subtle (Attolini):

441021152_jNtvt-L.jpg

441027499_2Wh8g-L.jpg

B. Not (Arnys):

441027520_nSRkf-L.jpg

441027524_t5PCX-L.jpg

Is the Attolini a better or higher quality tie than the Arnys? That seems like an entirely subjective question. It might be possible to say that one is made more painstakingly than the other, and that in turn might inform your sense of what the value of the product is...but again, that is a couple steps removed from looking good.

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
The one on the far left is exquisite. I may copy you and get one. Thanks for the PSA, those edges do look tremendously fine.

you'll be the foo to his yeti.

I am more interested in the Hober Riva cotton/linen squares, those look nicey nice.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

I am more interested in the Hober Riva cotton/linen squares, those look nicey nice.

I, like Ed, prefer the linen, although I'm wearing a silk PS today. Guess that means I needz more linenz. Will need to ping SH soon.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I going to get a bunch of those...I have no reason to doubt that they are made up like the silk squares, and if so, they would equal Simonnot-Godard.

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm neither short-heighted or long-winded enough to really compete.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads