or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › A new top ten list of jeans - for Styleforum reborn.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A new top ten list of jeans - for Styleforum reborn. - Page 13

post #181 of 204
I have to rate RRL above almost any other high-end/"premium", just because its available so cheap now. Affordability is a huge factor.
post #182 of 204
Brands like Samurai and Eternal would be perfect for the top 10 list... at superfuture.

I think there is a preference there for nice fades over nice cuts, and here it is the opposite. There obviously are nicely cut japanese jeans, but any company that does repros or has repro inspired cuts gets a big "meh" from me.
post #183 of 204
hmm, I kinda disagree with you. When I look for jeans, I'm looking for jeans that will not only fade well but also fit well. I've found that a lot of Japanese "repro" brands like Samurai, Eternal, PBJ, and Skull have great cuts as well as great denim. and @ keykoo, does any RL store carry RRL? Since you live pretty damn near me, which ones around the peninsula carry RRL? The RL at Stanford? Thanks!
post #184 of 204
Palo Alto and the SF store both carry RRL. Where are you guys getting your cheap RRL?
post #185 of 204
I think that instead of a "Top 10 list" a tiered system would work better. Obviously it's extremely relative so jeans mentioned on SF would make tier 1 and tier 1.5 when you compare them to all jeans (mall brand included). But instead what if they were ranked against each other?

I think it's interesting to see how they stack up against each other and how some people feel. Also I think that it would be a great resource for deciding between jeans.
post #186 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by keykoo View Post
Palo Alto and the SF store both carry RRL. Where are you guys getting your cheap RRL?
Ebay.
post #187 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazy View Post
Fair enough.



I think it's tasteless and idiotic to chastise people who buy jeans for reasons that you don't find acceptable.

Thanks Stazy.
post #188 of 204
second that....where are you finding cheap rrl? thanks
post #189 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
Really???

Just off the top of my head
- for the denim geek: PPRS, 5EP, Ande Whall
- for fit-obsessed hipsters: Acne, DH, and prob RRL Slim Fit
- icon: APC

Hmmm I am a denim geek after my first raw denim purchase.
post #190 of 204
Ok, my best "something for everyone" list (comprised entirely of jeans I own, lol):

For the discerning customer with an eye for style and quality, an awareness of trends, and interest in the concept of stealth-wealth: Rag & Bone RB11

For the hipster/fashion conscious/trent-whore: Acne Mic Ridged

For the douchebag in all of us: 7 For all Mankind Slouchy in Los Angeles

For the denim-head who still has a keen eye for value in relation to quality, and considers comfort and wearability important: 5EP LDB selvage in raw or resin

For jeans that look like they are just regular jeans, for just a regular guy, but actually have some relevance in the world of fashion: Corpus Fine 80

For the premium jean you got at the mall because you don't want to depart too much from the standard but don't advertise your need to spend $200 on jeans: Earnest Sewn Fulton 06
post #191 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
Ok, my best "something for everyone" list (comprised entirely of jeans I own, lol):

For the discerning customer with an eye for style and quality, an awareness of trends, and interest in the concept of stealth-wealth: Rag & Bone RB11

For the hipster/fashion conscious/trent-whore: Acne Mic Ridged

For the douchebag in all of us: 7 For all Mankind Slouchy in Los Angeles

For the denim-head who still has a keen eye for value in relation to quality, and considers comfort and wearability important: 5EP LDB selvage in raw or resin

For jeans that look like they are just regular jeans, for just a regular guy, but actually have some relevance in the world of fashion: Corpus Fine 80

For the premium jean you got at the mall because you don't want to depart too much from the standard but don't advertise your need to spend $200 on jeans: Earnest Sewn Fulton 06

That's a good list. Strangely enough, I own 4 out of the 6 jeans myself (not the Sevens or the Corpus).
post #192 of 204
I stumbled upon this ancient thread and just had to smile, as back in the day I owned a fair number of these jeans (as well as ones from the previous top-ten linked in this thread). They were jeans I thought would be in style (and last) forever, alas I don't think any remain in my collection. So, anyone want to take a stab at a current version? I would, except I feel that all of the jeans I wear/admire are too similar to one another to really provide a legit list. However, this would be my list (only a few pairs I own and really dig): APC New Standard Marine Noir - Super dark, non-contrast stitched version which fits right off the bat due to the polyurethane blend. I like them for travel because they're comfortable and dress up well, can be the only jean I take on a trip. Helmut Lang Straight Leg in raw - Most of the line is awful, but at Gilt's prices, the fit/color/quality is pretty damn good. Rag & Bone RB15 Shiny Indigo - These are great for dress, with their dark color, non-contrast stitching and resin coating. Slightly wider lower leg works well to dress up as well. 3sixteen SL100 - Plain raw jeans at a pretty good price and subtle, quality detailing to match.
post #193 of 204
haha, shall we play now? in no particular order. 1. KMW 1980s - For someone who likes all the details and a modern slim straight fit, with the denim having more of a focus on "fineness" (zimbabwean long staple cotton) than character (e.g. not much slubbiness and slow fading). 2. LVC 1947 501s - Jeans for the MC and/or athletic or bigger guy. 3. Dior Homme 19cm - slouchy top block and narrow hem, with more of a focus on the cut than the denim quality. 4. Flathead 1001 - sick fadezzzz, slim cut 5. Sugar cane somethings - crazy denims, repro cuts. 6. APC NS, N&F Weird Guy - Cheaper but decent quality. That's about as far as i know. Anyone wanna dissect/elaborate?
post #194 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Winky View Post
3sixteen SL100 - Plain raw jeans at a pretty good price and subtle, quality detailing to match.

+1

I picked these up and they are great.
post #195 of 204
Thread Starter 
I'll play again, but I have to warn you guys that I am not a Kiya/Gordon style denimhead. I respect what they do, but I think that there is a place for modern and fashion brands as well.

No time to do it now, but a real mix of labels, including Wings+Horns, RRL, and Kohzo all make the new list, in addition to some old stalwarts like Kicking Mule Workshop and Ironheart (still the standard for heavyweight denim.)

The list (mine) has been updated many times since 2006, which is a lifetime ago in fashion terms, and really, very little survives that long, stylewise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › A new top ten list of jeans - for Styleforum reborn.