• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaxixi's Mini-Guide to Soho and the Mid-Levels, Hong Kong

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are surprisingly few restaurant recommendations for Hong Kong, so I wrote up this little list for those who find themselves wandering about the mid-levels of Hong Kong. Feel free to add your thoughts or recs.

Best Noodles: Tsim Chai Kee Noodle, 98 Wellington St.
The Lonely Planet recommends the place across the street, but this one is two thirds the price, twice as tasty, and has a nicer interior to boot. Try the fishball with wontons--it's the Asian equivalent of kneidelach!

Best Roasted Fowl: Yung Kee, 32-40 Wellington St.
Possibly the most famous restaurant in Hong Kong, and rightfully so. Go for the goose, go for the glory.

Best Cafe: Cafe Lavande, 4 Princes Ter.
A tiny little cafe with an authentic Parisian vibe, and good Italian grinds. The staff and clientelle are always friendly, and the view of the nearby escalator amusing.

Best Pub: Barco, 42 Staunton St
Another joint that gets its charm in no small part from its small size. Wood bar, great service, and a fun, friendly clientelle that'll likely make sure you'll join them afterwards at...

Best Nightclub: Drop, 39-43 Hollywood Rd. (but enter around the corner on Cochrane, just down from Hollywood under the escalators, and to the left, next to Droplet)
A legendary joint that some say isn't what it used to be. I say this is the best night club I've ever been to. Get on the list and get grooving.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for this. I will check a few of these out next time I'm in town.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and my hotel...

Bishop Lei International House. Haggle and get yourself upgraded to the harbor view room...

IMG_2902.jpg

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the list. I look forward to trying some of them on my next visit.

I have been to Yung Kee but won't be returning. I'm not sure of other comparable higher-end alternatives in HK, so would be open to recommendations. I did enjoy some goose at more casual eateries (granted not in Central but in TST and Mongkok). Yung Kee for me gave off a ladies who lunch vibe, HK style. Could just have been me. And the goose was cold but I'm not sure if that was because we got the remnants during the lunch rush.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. Heading to HK soon and this will be helpful.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Thank you for the list - I'm heading to HK a bit later in the year.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on Yung Kee, but man that wait for a table could take hours... try going there early.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Drop is a great time, but hard to find - its entrance is essentially in an alley, even with the address it was difficult to find (nevermind the self consciousness of ducking into random alleys looking for a club)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
want to try, will try

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Drop is a great time, but hard to find - its entrance is essentially in an alley, even with the address it was difficult to find (nevermind the self consciousness of ducking into random alleys looking for a club)
Yes. Try following the instructions I gave. Also, I should emphasize that you are unlikely to get in without getting on the guest list first, unless you have a member or a model with you.
Originally Posted by Becks23
This list fails without Tsui Wah...
Then add it.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
+1 on Yung Kee, but man that wait for a table could take hours... try going there early.

so over rated but great for tourist i spoz

Originally Posted by Becks23
This list fails without Tsui Wah...

i hope this is a joke i'd rather eat at cafe de coral, or whatever it is called

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tsui Wah is overpriced and a tad overrated but it's a safe place to go to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads