• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The definitive New York alternation tailors thread

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to recreate the original thread that was lost to the Great Crash MMVI. Please post your experiences here. From what I can remember, the following tailors were mentioned in the past:

Alexi
Bhambi
Ignacio
Campos & Campos
Dynasty
Peppino
Wilfred's
L&S

And how about the in-house tailors:

Bergdorf Goodman
Barneys
Saks
Neiman Marcus
Paul Stuart
Polo Mansion

Alexi:
On E77 between 2nd & 3rd I think. I've heard many good things about this tailor but I haven't tried him. He's a custom tailor also does alternation work. He seems to be the most promising in terms of quality. Don't know about the prices.

Bhambi:
I had only one experience with them. Sleeves shortening with working button holes. I was extremely satisfied with their quality. The button holes are hand-sewn at $10 each, a good deal but they charged me $40 for shortening EACH sleeve!

Peppino:
No experience with him, but the stories I heard in recent posts are very scary. Shutting side vents without instructing them to, uneven sleeve lengths and shortening sleeve too short with working button holes already put on.

Campos & Campos:
On W13 can't remember the cross ave. No experience but I inquired their prices, very expensive.

Wilfred's:
My experience with them are mixed from ok to very good. But with prices they are charging I am looking for someone with more consistent quality. One member mentioned they shortened sleeves from shoulder with very good result.

Dynasty:
I don't anything about their quality and prices but member recommended them. I think they are in the high 30's around Madison.

L&S and Ignacio:
No experience with them. In the same neighborhood as Peppino.

Neiman Marcus:
No experience but very reasonable prices. They say they'll accept purchases from Last Call stores. I was told their main alternation opearation is in the Short Hills store and button holes are machine sewn.

Bergdorf Goodman:
Very good. But only accept in-store purchases. If I could send everything to them I would.

Saks Flagship:
No experience. Will accept purchases from Off 5th Ave. stores.

Barneys:
No experience but their prices seem very reasonable. Machine sewn button holes. Would like to give them a try for my warehouse sale purchases.

Questions regarding in-house tailors. What if they botch an alternation job? Refunding your purchases?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I recommended Dynasty Tailors previously. (they are on 38th St. between 5th and Madison Ave.). They have done excellent work for me in the past, although they are not in-expensive. I believe they charge $20 to hem pants.

The last item I took there was a Canali sportcoat and I am unhappy with how it turned out. For whatever reason they can't get it to fit me properly. My wife, however, has had excellent experiences there. I think they do good work, but this time I was unlucky.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I am trying to recreate the original thread that was lost to the Great Crash MMVI. Please post your experiences here. From what I can remember, the following tailors were mentioned in the past:

Alexi
Bhambi
Ignacio
Campos & Campos
Dynasty
Peppino
Wilfred's
L&S

Campos & Campos:
On W13 can't remember the cross ave. No experience but I inquired their prices, very expensive.

Quick addition to this, for informational purposes:

Campos & Campos is located on W. 14th, North side, betw. 7th/8th Aves. They charge $18 to hem pants, do a good job (slant from front to back), are open till 5 on Saturdays.

jtang

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with Imparali Customer Tailors? They are on 49th and 5th. They're topped rank on citysearch, just wanted to see if there's anybody here who's tried them out.

plotter

Reaction score
Who's the best at complicated jobs like sport jacket shortening? Any recommendations there?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't alternate anymore.

I just go with Cardelino on Broadway.
biggrin.gif

laxnate

Reaction score
I can vouch for Peppino closing side vents without asking. He is old school Italian and really pushes his (Italian) tailoring preferences on you. Ultimately, I was ok with the outcome and the work was good quality but I really want a tailor who is going to listen to me and do what I want, not what they want. Haven't been back.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using Stanton Tailors on the Lower East Side who have been doing a great job thus far. I even had them fix the shoulders on an old blazer which came out perfectly. It's a very small place and a bit chaotic, but very affordable.

Best,
David

chriskirk

Reaction score
Sorry to open this thread up again, but I'm in the market for some suits and I found a few nice ones at C21. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good tailor for suit alterations? I recognize a few of the tailors on the list but specifically interested in if there are any updates and/or current recommendations? If not, I'll probably visit a few and make a decision from there.

I don't mind traveling a bit either (as long as it's reachable by subway).

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT: Quality being the most important here - I have seen a few places I'd drop off a pair of jeans without worry, but wouldn't be surprised if my suit came back ruined or worse not at all =)

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxnate
I can vouch for Peppino closing side vents without asking. He is old school Italian and really pushes his (Italian) tailoring preferences on you. Ultimately, I was ok with the outcome and the work was good quality but I really want a tailor who is going to listen to me and do what I want, not what they want. Haven't been back.

lol = wow

MasterplayerC

Reaction score
Just dropped off three pairs of pants at Dynasty (they're 20 steps from my office, 38th just off 5th). First alteration experience anywhere, so we'll see how it goes. Click spoiler to see the work I'm getting done and prices (not sure if there is some rule against showing them outright):
1) Pair of slim linen pants from Daffy's I bought for $30. Hemmed: $25 2) Pair of F-you red pants from Daffy's I bought for $17. Tapered: $39 3) Pair of black suit pants that have become tight in the waist since I'm getting fat. Waist let out a bit and legs tapered: $35 and $39 I feel like the hemming as well as letting the suit pants out is just a TAD expensive, but I guess I'm paying for convenience.
Pricing is questionable since I have no idea what the norm is (NYC or otherwise), but either way I guess I'm paying for convenience. Will report back.

mjphillips

Reaction score
I'd like to second Stanton Tailor. Very reasonable prices and quick turnaround.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads