• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy first car. Recc one under 15k

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my lease on my Accord is expiring and I'm in the market to buy a car. I'm willing to shell out about $15,000 and no more really, since I'm still a student. I'm hoping to pick up a sports sedan/sports no later than 2002 models under around 75k mileage.

I've been looking at Infiniti G35s, Jaguar XKs, BMW 3s, MB CLK, Audi A4/TT, 'nother Honda, etc... Any recommendations?

Cavalier

Reaction score
I think having a lease has probably sheltered you from a lot of the costs associated with car ownership.

Repairs for my 3 series cost a ton, but it is a very nice car. Jaguars and Benzs are going to be a huge pain **********, even relative to a 3 series. Audis aren't too hot either.

The Infiniti I would do more research on, I do know that newer Nissans/Infinitis don't have the same good reliability as past models.

Can never beat a Honda IMO especially as a student

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I think having a lease has probably sheltered you from a lot of the costs associated with car ownership.

Repairs for my 3 series cost a ton, but it is a very nice car. Jaguars and Benzs are going to be a huge pain **********, even relative to a 3 series. Audis aren't too hot either.

The Infiniti I would do more research on, I do know that newer Nissans/Infinitis don't have the same good reliability as past models.

Can never beat a Honda IMO especially as a student

Agreed. I can deal with repair costs somewhat as I'm factoring it a lot into the 15k budget I set. Jaguar's have a reputation of abysmal reliability, but my father's XJ is pushing 150k and hasn't had a major major repair yet, he also bought a XK (masochist probably) a few years back and is fine AFAIK.

What do you consider as a "newer" Nissan/Infiniti.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7th and 8th gen Subaru WRXs can be had within your price/milage limits, those are fun cars and reliable too.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Agreed. I can deal with repair costs somewhat as I'm factoring it a lot into the 15k budget I set. Jaguar's have a reputation of abysmal reliability, but my father's XJ is pushing 150k and hasn't had a major major repair yet, he also bought a XK (masochist probably) a few years back and is fine AFAIK.

What do you consider as a "newer" Nissan/Infiniti.

I had a new 2002 Jaguar for 3 years and never had to do a single thing to it. No warranty work done either. The Jaguar of old, with its need for repair is way behind us. That doesn't stop the stories being repeated though by people who never owned one.

Why not just buy out your lease and wait until you finish your studies to get something different. I can't imagine the accord residual is more than 15k. Additionally there is a thread somewhere about CPO that you should look at. The last thing you need is car hassles while studying.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't buy a European car that was <$15k.

One of my favorite cheap underrated cars is the last Mazda protege, or you could even get a Mazda3 for well under your budget. Not sure if it fits your definition of "sports sedan" but they're actually pretty fun to drive, and very reliable.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your budget, get a used Civic Si. I would not touch... anything else you recommended, really. Not used and not on a budget, anyway. Agnacious' suggestion of buying out the Accord is a pretty good one, though, depending on your terms. Sportiness is overrated, especially when your first concern should be school.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I might be wrong about the Jags as I am just talking about what I've heard and haven't owned one/known any one with one.

As far as the repairs though on luxury cars go, repair bills like $2K+ are not uncommon at all. My 3 is an 03 and has a few $2k+ bills already, and it only has 108K on it.

I think around 03-04 Maxima started slipping I think, but I think I might be talking out ******... worth researching

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toyota Corolla. Best Car Ever (never owned one though, I like the sensibility of them though)

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you've only got a few viable, reliable, enjoyable options:

Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla.

Of the three, I'd probably go with the Civic. I've never had a single problem in over 8 years of driving them.

Forget old European or American cars out of warranty. They are potential liabilities through and through.

You might also look into a slightly used CSX or even an older TSX. The TSX has the secret word built into its name.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. My recs are for new or very slightly used cars. I wouldn't personally buy a car with more than 25k miles on the odometer.

inq89

Reaction score
The OP probably won't like my suggestion, but as a fellow and poorer college student, I picked up a 2000 Ford SE wagon off of Craigslist for $3800 at 90k and at damn near perfect condition. Drives like my gf's newer model Corolla but the parts and insurance are hella cheap and descent on gas too. There are reports of some problems with this model and year, but just like any car, it depends a lot on the past owner and how the car was kept. My Ford should last me at least into the mid 100k.

Cavalier

Reaction score
My 2nd car is a '99 Civic SI... if you can find one in nice shape, they are super fun toys. I found a great deal on one two years ago with 40K miles for only $7300... 10K miles later (I barely drive/sits in the garage) I think I can sell it for $10-11K+

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads