or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Do you watch women's sport?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you watch women's sport? - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Enter cheap and easy muff diving joke here (.............)

On a more serious (and very chauvinistic male pic) note, I think that most women's sports are atrocious. Women athletes in most but not all sports are not as athletic, strong or cordinated as men. Women's basketball, softball, field hockey, golf, tennis etc etc just do not attain the level of athleticism and skill that the men's version do. In short, I am saying that men are better athletes than women. Not saying that the men's sports are always more exciting as I agree that women's tennis is better played than men's but there is not one sport where the average male player could not wipe the floor with the top female player.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
Women's basketball is just no fun to watch, at least from home. I've never been to a WNBA game. I don't know why it is, but the women players seem to have zero grace.

I've been to a WNBA game. Actually, I went to a WNBA championship game and saw the Sparks win in the finals a few years ago. And despite it being a championship game in Staples center, and seeing the whole thing live... it was kind of like seeing two mid-tier college teams. You have a good point about the "grace" factor, too. There's no one in women's ball who can move like AI, who has as pretty a shot as Kobe, who can defend like Ben Wallace, who has the sheer explosive grace that Stoudemire did last year (and I hope does again this year--last night was promising). And certainly no one that is nearly as amazing to watch as Wade. I never get those "Holy crap, did I just see what I think I saw?" moments with the WNBA.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I never get those "Holy crap, did I just see what I think I saw?" moments with the WNBA.
...unless a testicle pops out the side of "her" shorts.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Women athletes in most but not all sports are not as athletic, strong or cordinated as men. Women's basketball, softball, field hockey, golf, tennis etc etc just do not attain the level of athleticism and skill that the men's version do.


I can only really speak about football because I watch so much of it and even tried to watch the Women's World Cup the last two times. I disagree that the level of skill is not there. I think they are very skilled--however, I do agree with the basic point that women in football are not as strong or fast, etc. as men. And that makes the skills one a moot point in my eyes. My advisee (as many others have done) said that there is more strategy, finesse, etc involved and I think it's a load of nonsense. Without the athletic ability it is no fun to watch. And so I avoid women's football.

However, something is very different in vball and tennis and the many Olympics events, particularly swimming (the only women's teams sports I have watched). There there seems to be this definite divide where it is hard to compare men vs women. I don't know why that is in my head. Sure the men must be able to jump higher than the women in vball, but it doesn't seem to matter. Do men swim faster? I suppose so, but again, it doesn't seem to matter. My only problem with women's tennis is their horrible grunting.

bob
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I can only really speak about football because I watch so much of it and even tried to watch the Women's World Cup the last two times. I disagree that the level of skill is not there. I think they are very skilled--however, I do agree with the basic point that women in football are not as strong or fast, etc. as men. And that makes the skills one a moot point in my eyes. My advisee (as many others have done) said that there is more strategy, finesse, etc involved and I think it's a load of nonsense. Without the athletic ability it is no fun to watch. And so I avoid women's football.

However, something is very different in vball and tennis and the many Olympics events, particularly swimming (the only women's teams sports I have watched). There there seems to be this definite divide where it is hard to compare men vs women. I don't know why that is in my head. Sure the men must be able to jump higher than the women in vball, but it doesn't seem to matter. Do men swim faster? I suppose so, but again, it doesn't seem to matter. My only problem with women's tennis is their horrible grunting.

bob

My point is that women lack the physical and mental attributes to develop the same skill level as men. Yes, there is skill in their game but at a very rudimentary level vis a vis the men. Women lack the "killer instinct" that we have been carrying around with us since the days we hunted for survival. Of course, this is a broad (no pun intended) generalization that some would disagree with.
post #21 of 29
Physically, on average and in general, you're probably right. Mentally... not so sure about that. I grew up with two sisters. "Killer instinct" in spades, trust me.
post #22 of 29
I'm with M@t's uncle on this one. Women's beach volleyball is the greatest sport ever invented, although they can throw away the ball and the net as far as I'm concerned. I do actually like tennis played by either sex very much for the game itself, although all the best matches seem to involve Maria Sharapova for some reason.
post #23 of 29
Women's free skate for the 2006 World Championships is on ESPN now.
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Women's free skate for the 2006 World Championships is on ESPN now.
there is nothing about that post that makes me want to pause my Rome DVD
post #25 of 29
Man, everyone is saying tennis but I really don't know. I know for sure at least for college tennis, live, watching the women play is just... boring. The men are so much more athletic and shots that are so much better - watching the women just makes it seem second tier. I've thought about the power serve before, but if you look at the stats, there really aren't that many aces per match - the men's rallies are really much better as well. More athletic shots with better pace and they move much quicker so they can get to more balls, which in turn makes for more interesting rallies.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
My point is that women lack the physical and mental attributes to develop the same skill level as men. Yes, there is skill in their game but at a very rudimentary level vis a vis the men. Women lack the "killer instinct" that we have been carrying around with us since the days we hunted for survival. Of course, this is a broad (no pun intended) generalization that some would disagree with.
I think you just answered your own assertion here. I agree with you that women lack the testosterone-driven "killer instinct" and physical strength. But they (we?) oftentimes make up for it in finesse. I don't mean that in a "graceful" kind of way. But I think men tend to rely on brute force in many athletics which were originally sports of skill. Most hockey coaches will recommend that their young players watch women's hockey rather than mens for that reason. There is far more skill in terms of "proper" play, than in the mens game. Remember when you could barely touch another guy in basketball without being called for a foul? Now it's very much a contact sport.

So while I very much disagree with your predicate, I have to agree that I rarely watch women's sport! I enjoyed watching the Lady Sooners basketball a few times this season. Tennis and Alpine skiing can be fun to watch as well. But overall, I think lady athletes lack the "wow" factor, as someone else mentioned.

Then again, you've never seen me play ping-pong!
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by raley
Man, everyone is saying tennis but I really don't know. I know for sure at least for college tennis, live, watching the women play is just... boring. The men are so much more athletic and shots that are so much better - watching the women just makes it seem second tier. I've thought about the power serve before, but if you look at the stats, there really aren't that many aces per match - the men's rallies are really much better as well. More athletic shots with better pace and they move much quicker so they can get to more balls, which in turn makes for more interesting rallies.

maria sharapova
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I once made the mistake of telling an advisee that I thought women's football was utterly boring. How was I to know she was on the soccer team? Boring boring boring boring boring boring.
Women's soccer is, to me, the ultimate eye-candy sport. In no other sport are you likely to find the same concentration of attractive, athletic, intelligent, and interesting women. (Yes, my current girlfriend played college soccer. So, come to think of it, did my previous several. Soccer and swimming, that's where the women are!) Also, I think that skill in sport is sometimes overrated. Jill touched on some of the reasons why. For a concrete example, look at the NBA. Or don't, unless you're dealing with a bout of insomnia. If you can stay awake long enough you'll see some amazing feats. But who has that kind of time?
post #29 of 29
I actually make an attempt to watch women's tennis, primarily because I played competitively as a junior and secondary because the caliber of hot chicks has risen exponentially.

underrated tennis hottie Daniela Hantukova






seasonally, I like to watch Olympics gymnastics and beach volleyball
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Do you watch women's sport?