or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J Crew F/W 09 Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion - Page 8

post #106 of 5101
I don't get the whole "overweight" rationale for vanity sizing. I'm not overweight, and in fact am very fit, and yet my true waist size in 36. Which means I'm almost always a tagged 34. What difference would it make if I bought a size 34 or 36 as long as the pants fit well?

Is there some other reason? Are retailers doing this for margin of error, that is, as long as the specs are within two inches of the stated size, they're within specs?
post #107 of 5101
At first I thought that would be a pretty significant margin of error but in thinking about it, that would make sense. J Crew does outsource manufacturing, it seems that would be a great way to avoid the cost of more stringent quality control.

That's just a guess though.
post #108 of 5101
I just measured my 31s. i got 31x32 khaki and clove. The khakis were made in China and say "Officer's Chino" inside, while the cloves were made in Hong Kong and don't say "Officer's Chino" on the inside. They also have a tag that calls them the "Surplus Chino." Both have the same style number of 86722 khakis: waist: just under 17 across, so about a 34 front rise 11.5 back rise 15 thigh 11 3/4 knee 9 1/4 hem 8 3/4 Clove waist: just about 16.5, so 33 front rise 11 back rise 14 1/4 thigh 11 1/2 knee 9-9 1/4 hem 8.5 major difference in the fit of these. I'm keeping the clove and sending the khakis back. I guess i'll just try to swap them for the same size. I wish my local stores had 31s because then I could just pick out a pair there, but they only carry 30 and 32...
post #109 of 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier View Post
I ordered 3 light weight secret wash shirts and as usual they will torment me. They are a bit too long to wear untucked, but they are so light I want to wear them untucked while wearing shorts. I'm tall and usually complain about shirts being too short in the tail. I think they need to make shirts and market them for either tucked or untucked use or something. Especially being you can order tall sizes which are longer, but the standard size already seems like a tall so wtf? I'm keeping them though because I like to look and fabric.
Too true. I'm 6'4", yet I wear a regular medium. I can't imagine anyone quite a bit shorter wearing those shirts untucked w/o tailoring.
post #110 of 5101
What did the inseams measure? I'm a 32 exactly so not sure if it will be ok or if I should order the 34 and have them tailored.

In general, does anybody know if a longer inseam would affect the rise measurements on a pair of pants with the same waist? I would assume it did.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post
I just measured my 31s. i got 31x32 khaki and clove. The khakis were made in China and say "Officer's Chino" inside, while the cloves were made in Hong Kong and don't say "Officer's Chino" on the inside. They also have a tag that calls them the "Surplus Chino." Both have the same style number of 86722

khakis:
waist: just under 17 across, so about a 34
front rise 11.5
back rise 15
thigh 11 3/4
knee 9 1/4
hem 8 3/4

Clove
waist: just about 16.5, so 33
front rise 11
back rise 14 1/4
thigh 11 1/2
knee 9-9 1/4
hem 8.5

major difference in the fit of these. I'm keeping the clove and sending the khakis back. I guess i'll just try to swap them for the same size. I wish my local stores had 31s because then I could just pick out a pair there, but they only carry 30 and 32...
post #111 of 5101
Since the Premium Officer Chino talk is dominating this thread, I'll add that I purchased the Khaki 29x32 and the Clove 30x30 (normally my J. Crew pants size) and I have to say that the 29x32 fit much much better. The seat was more fitted and the waist wasn't contricting by any means and since the Officer Chino is already more relaxed, the smaller size helped not give me the simming in my pants look.

Here's another gripe that I'll write to J. Crew about. Why the f**k don't they offer a size 29x30?? If they did I think that might be my ideal size to eliminate the extra thigh fabric and extra seat fabric (aka saggy diaper ass) dilemna I often get with their pants.
post #112 of 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant View Post
What did the inseams measure? I'm a 32 exactly so not sure if it will be ok or if I should order the 34 and have them tailored. In general, does anybody know if a longer inseam would affect the rise measurements on a pair of pants with the same waist? I would assume it did.
khakis: 32.5 clove: 32 also, they don't make a 31x34. 34 inseam starts with 32s
post #113 of 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post
I just measured my 31s. i got 31x32 khaki and clove. The khakis were made in China and say "Officer's Chino" inside, while the cloves were made in Hong Kong and don't say "Officer's Chino" on the inside. They also have a tag that calls them the "Surplus Chino." Both have the same style number of 86722

khakis:
waist: just under 17 across, so about a 34
front rise 11.5
back rise 15
thigh 11 3/4
knee 9 1/4
hem 8 3/4

Clove
waist: just about 16.5, so 33
front rise 11
back rise 14 1/4
thigh 11 1/2
knee 9-9 1/4
hem 8.5

major difference in the fit of these. I'm keeping the clove and sending the khakis back. I guess i'll just try to swap them for the same size. I wish my local stores had 31s because then I could just pick out a pair there, but they only carry 30 and 32...

Wow, I wonder how much these stretch? I'm assuming you're measurements are not from brand new, unworn issue? Hard to imagine they would be 3 inches off on the waist brand new. If so, it should be sold in their outlet. I really thought the reason J Crew carried odd waist sizes was for them to have a place to put jeans that end up an inch off in the manufacturing process. Instead, it seems they don't have very good control over it.

Yea the saggy diaper ass is something to watch out for with J Crew. I heard a fashion expert on TV say the first place you should look is your ass when trying on pants. I have a pair of old saggy J Crew jeans (looked great from the front) and just measured them. They have a 17 inch back rise which is horrid, I can't go with anything over 16.25 inches.
post #114 of 5101
Regarding vanity sizing, perhaps we should start buying the women's boyfriend shirts? Look at the military shirt this girl is wearing. It doesn't look that bad, sort of like a lighter version of the men's utility jacket and comes with a "Chic fit." Now does anyone have the balls to go in the women's store and try it on?

post #115 of 5101
Regarding vanity sizing, I recently bought a small buttondown. I'm about 6'2".
post #116 of 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier View Post
Regarding vanity sizing, perhaps we should start buying the women's boyfriend shirts? Look at the military shirt this girl is wearing. It doesn't look that bad, sort of like a lighter version of the men's utility jacket and comes with a "Chic fit." Now does anyone have the balls to go in the women's store and try it on?


PM Trendy Sing Sing about doing it. Some women's shirts will go nice with his women's jeans.
post #117 of 5101
Anyone have measurements for the Urban Slim Fit? I seriously doubt these are true to size. Any size will do, as I can just extrapolate to my own.


Thanks.
post #118 of 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier View Post
Wow, I wonder how much these stretch? I'm assuming you're measurements are not from brand new, unworn issue? Hard to imagine they would be 3 inches off on the waist brand new. If so, it should be sold in their outlet. I really thought the reason J Crew carried odd waist sizes was for them to have a place to put jeans that end up an inch off in the manufacturing process. Instead, it seems they don't have very good control over it.


both are brand new. they arrived from UPS today.
post #119 of 5101
It does bug me how much we get derailed in these discussions over issues like quality control and sizing. Overall I think J. Crew does a fine job. It's really not as interesting as discussing the new things you're finding in the f/w 09 collection.
post #120 of 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It does bug me how much we get derailed in these discussions over issues like quality control and sizing. Overall I think J. Crew does a fine job.
I have a large sized sweater from the 80's that my sister in law is copying for me that fits the same as their Xl does now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J Crew F/W 09 Discussion