• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh SF, what have you done to me...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have been lurking here for a handful of months now, picking up clothing here and there, refining my "taste" for clothing as I go along. Today was officially the first day that I realized what a snob I have become.

Normally I do not have to dress up for my job, and my rotation of slacks and sportcoats, and the occaisonal suit have done me quite well. However, the law firm I work for is in the middle of a huge trial, so I have had to wear a suit everyday for a while. Well, today I whipped out one of my pre-SF suits, a Ralph Lauren suit from Macy's... and God, what was once my favorite suit, has become easily my least favorite. The large lapel, the pleated pants, the half-canvassed jacket, the complete lack of any silhouette, the overly-padded shoulders--all things I would never have noticed without this website.

Thank you SF... I guess

Anyone else care to share
smile.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
So, I have been lurking here for a handful of months now, picking up clothing here and there, refining my "taste" for clothing as I go along. Today was officially the first day that I realized what a snob I have become.

Normally I do not have to dress up for my job, and my rotation of slacks and sportcoats, and the occaisonal suit have done me quite well. However, the law firm I work for is in the middle of a huge trial, so I have had to wear a suit everyday for a while. Well, today I whipped out one of my pre-SF suits, a PRL... and God, what was once my favorite suit, has become easily my least favorite. The large lapel, the pleated pants, the half-canvassed jacket, the complete lack of any silhouette, the overly-padded shoulders--all things I would never have noticed without this website.

Thank you SF... I guess

smile.gif

At least your snobbery only affects you. My friend went suit shopping for his new job at Macy's. He proudly told me about the great deals he got on a Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, and Ralph Lauren suit. Only 800 total! He said I should be proud of him because he knew I love Ralph Lauren.

I'm sure nobody would be surprised by my reaction.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
becoming a snob isn't the greatest of your potential concerns...wait till the checking account runs dry and you start thinking of raiding the savings/college/retirement fund for the next big sale
musicboohoo[1].gif

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I came from a poor family. The first time I bought a pair of Rockports I was so proud of myself, and impressed with the quality compared to shoes from places like Payless or Walmart. I used to think Rockports, Bass, etc were the greatest until the last year or so.

It's amazing the things you miss when you don't know any better. I've been interested in fashion on and off all of my adult life, but now more than ever. The difference is that I am much more informed now. Instead of just seeing a bunch of people in suits, I am usually able to tell who is really well dressed.

This place, and it's natives have been a great resource. Thanks SF!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Style Forum is a great place allowing us to learn ...Instead of buying quantities of designer crap, I have learnt how to design my own projects ,how to create my own suits and shoes...
Style Forum is helping us to become more aware of the standards in the clothing market...
As long as you do not lose track of your priorities (I lost myself a few times) , your Style Forum will be enjoyable ...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Normally I do not have to dress up for my job, and my rotation of slacks and sportcoats, and the occaisonal suit have done me quite well. However, the law firm I work for is in the middle of a huge trial, so I have had to wear a suit everyday for a while. Well, today I whipped out one of my pre-SF suits, a PRL... and God, what was once my favorite suit, has become easily my least favorite. The large lapel, the pleated pants, the half-canvassed jacket, the complete lack of any silhouette, the overly-padded shoulders--all things I would never have noticed without this website.

Thank you SF... I guess

smile.gif

PRL with no shape and padded shoulders? Where did you manage to find this??

yarnsforth

Reaction score
The posters here have helped me understand what it is that determines quality construction and tailoring in clothing and shoes. I used to simply associate quality with a certain designer label, price, and retail outlet. Now I rue many of my pre-SF purchases.

As for what to wear, what to wear it with, and when to wear it, until I settle on my own style, I appreciate and am often entertained by some of the opinions expressed here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my black shoes are immaculately polished, have full-fitted or lasted wooden shoe trees and are in flannel bags on the bottom two shelves of my closet where they have had absolutely no wear for the last 1 1/2-2 years........

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
All my black shoes are immaculately polished, have full-fitted or lasted wooden shoe trees and are in flannel bags on the bottom two shelves of my closet where they have had absolutely no wear for the last 1 1/2-2 years........

Haven't you heard ???? Black is the "New" Black .............get them out and wear with pride an bugga em !!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
PRL with no shape and padded shoulders? Where did you manage to find this??

You know, I believe I may have the brands mixed up... I tend to do that sometimes with Polo
smile.gif
. It is just the base polo brand, the lowest of their lines (nonetheless, it was not inexpensive at Macy's...)

Agreed with that as well. The last time I wore black shoes was with a black suit. At a funeral.

And I pretty much agree with all the previous posters who talked about how I have learned to identify what makes a good suit, and what makes a suit more appealing. Really helpful stuff.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed with that as well. The last time I wore black shoes was with a black suit. At a funeral.

I don't understand the black shoe hate. I think that the SF brown shoe brigade who tried to convince people that brown shoes were OK to wear has caused the pendulum to swing past the midpoint now to where people think its the only thing to wear and that black is boring. Black can be elegant. I have a mix and wear a mix. I'd say I wear black shoes 2-3 times a week. If I'm going out at night, black is the choice. With my gray ensembles I wear black about half the time.

Embrace the black.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I don't understand the black shoe hate. I think that the SF brown shoe brigade who tried to convince people that brown shoes were OK to wear has caused the pendulum to swing past the midpoint now to where people think its the only thing to wear and that black is boring. Black can be elegant.

+1

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I don't understand the black shoe hate. I think that the SF brown shoe brigade who tried to convince people that brown shoes were OK to wear has caused the pendulum to swing past the midpoint now to where people think its the only thing to wear and that black is boring. Black can be elegant. I have a mix and wear a mix. I'd say I wear black shoes 2-3 times a week. If I'm going out at night, black is the choice. With my gray ensembles I wear black about half the time.

Embrace the black.

+1. Why limit your options?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, I believe I may have the brands mixed up... I tend to do that sometimes with Polo
smile.gif
. It is just the base polo brand, the lowest of their lines (nonetheless, it was not inexpensive at Macy's...)

And I pretty much agree with all the previous posters who talked about how I have learned to identify what makes a good suit, and what makes a suit more appealing. Really helpful stuff.

Ah yes, Green label. I have a few of those around, no longer worn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads