or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Charles Tyrwhitt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charles Tyrwhitt - Page 3

post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Chickpea
I'm also surprised at the negativity! For the price, I find the shirts stunning quality (far superior to my crappy Lewins where the collar buckles and folds with ease) and fit me perfectly. Been wearing them for 4 yuears now and no fraying anywhere (especially neck collar) on any of them. Broad range of lovely colours like yellow, lilac, royal purple, a beautiful green, etc.
The CT shirt I have, which I found at a thrift store, has very nice fabric, very limp collar/cuffs, and is cut huge. It's a size 16 neck, though the person who had it before probably shrank it down to a 15.5, and the chest (and waist, etc) must be 48"+. The tails are very long.
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgreg
Hey Doc Holliday - How do I get in touch with Jantzen, please?

www.jantzentailor.com

They're not taking overseas orders at the moment, but will resume shortly. It's a tiny shop in Hong Kong. Once you order, don't expect to hear back. In a month or so, a package will arrive on your doorstep, probably before your card has been charged. If you need help, my advice is to skip the e-mail and call.

There have been tons of Jantzen threads here and at Ask Andy. You might try searching for them for more details, and for reviews of specific fabrics. Good luck!
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
www.jantzentailor.com

They're not taking overseas orders at the moment, but will resume shortly. It's a tiny shop in Hong Kong. Once you order, don't expect to hear back. In a month or so, a package will arrive on your doorstep, probably before your card has been charged. If you need help, my advice is to skip the e-mail and call.

There have been tons of Jantzen threads here and at Ask Andy. You might try searching for them for more details, and for reviews of specific fabrics. Good luck!

Thanks DocHolliday!!!!
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
www.jantzentailor.com They're not taking overseas orders at the moment, but will resume shortly. It's a tiny shop in Hong Kong. Once you order, don't expect to hear back. In a month or so, a package will arrive on your doorstep, probably before your card has been charged. If you need help, my advice is to skip the e-mail and call. There have been tons of Jantzen threads here and at Ask Andy. You might try searching for them for more details, and for reviews of specific fabrics. Good luck!
Hey DocHolliday, Jantzen deals with Italian style shirts and they have a lot of italian fabrics as well - are they really this good and cheap? At USD 43.00 inclusive of shipping??? I am really impressed. I'll order several shirts and definitely will give them a try.
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Chickpea
I'm also surprised at the negativity! For the price, I find the shirts stunning quality (far superior to my crappy Lewins where the collar buckles and folds with ease) and fit me perfectly. Been wearing them for 4 yuears now and no fraying anywhere (especially neck collar) on any of them.

Agreed. I can vouch for CT shirts, although the ones that I have purchased in the past year seem to be of better quality than some of the older ones that I have, so some people might want to give them another chance. All of my shirts from CT have held up, but the newer ones seem to be of nicer fabric.

Also, for those who think the CT shirts are cut too big, try the fitted line. Since that line's been available, that's all I've been buying, and I love it. (Yes, the regular line can be very tent-like, similar to but not as bad as the Polo regular-fit dress shirts).

I know that I should probably try Jantzen, but I just don't have the time to screw around with it. With CT, I know the shirt fits, it's of decent quality, and I can easily browse their website and pick out things that will be on my doorstep in two weeks.

I also buy the Brooks Brothers fitted line - those shirts are far more questionable than the CT, but they're also cheaper, and I can get them even faster.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgreg
Hey DocHolliday,

Jantzen deals with Italian style shirts and they have a lot of italian fabrics as well - are they really this good and cheap? At USD 43.00 inclusive of shipping???

I am really impressed.

I'll order several shirts and definitely will give them a try.

The fabric quality can be variable. Some are spectacular, a few ... not as nice. Ricky, the proprieter, buys a lot of end runs, I think. I've heard that choosing the slightly more expensive fabrics usually pays dividends. Also, the fabric review threads I mentioned earlier are very helpful. Personally, I've yet to get a bad fabric, but there have been a few complaints about one of the white shirtings. That's the only problem one that springs to mind.

The construction, however, is consistently top notch. The stitching and pattern matching are both on par with vastly more expensive shirts. There was a thread here not long ago where people were asked to identify which shirt was a Jantzen and which was an Oxxford. Some folks guessed the Jantzen because of the superior pattern matching. It's really quite impressive.

Also, Ricky is willing to accomodate just about any request. The world is your oyster at Jantzen. And at the price, you can try all sorts of things and not worry too much if it comes out poorly. You could use your first two Jantzens as test shirts, to work out the kinks, and you'd still come out cheaper than buying a medium-range shirt at a department store.

Good luck. Let us know what you think when your shirts come in.
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The fabric quality can be variable. Some are spectacular, a few ... not as nice. Ricky, the proprieter, buys a lot of end runs, I think. I've heard that choosing the slightly more expensive fabrics usually pays dividends. Also, the fabric review threads I mentioned earlier are very helpful. Personally, I've yet to get a bad fabric, but there have been a few complaints about one of the white shirtings. That's the only problem one that springs to mind.

The construction, however, is consistently top notch. The stitching and pattern matching are both on par with vastly more expensive shirts. There was a thread here not long ago where people were asked to identify which shirt was a Jantzen and which was an Oxxford. Some folks guessed the Jantzen because of the superior pattern matching. It's really quite impressive.

Also, Ricky is willing to accomodate just about any request. The world is your oyster at Jantzen. And at the price, you can try all sorts of things and not worry too much if it comes out poorly. You could use your first two Jantzens as test shirts, to work out the kinks, and you'd still come out cheaper than buying a medium-range shirt at a department store.

Good luck. Let us know what you think when your shirts come in.

With concerns about measurements - do I have to give precise measurements and it won't be left to artistic choice involving measurements on the part of the tailor?

Do they measure in cm's or inches? They should be measuring in cm's seeing that they once belonged to the commonwealth.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgreg
With concerns about measurements - do I have to give precise measurements and it won't be left to artistic choice involving measurements on the part of the tailor?

Do they measure in cm's or inches? They should be measuring in cm's seeing that they once belonged to the commonwealth.

I'd suggest giving precise measurements, then being as specific as you can about how you want the shirt to fit. I didn't fudge any of my measurements, but specified the length I like my sleeves, etc. (Requested a bit extra sleeve length with a close-fitting cuff, and that was one of the smarter things I did.) I also sent the measurements of a well-fitting shirt. I only had to tweak my second shirt slightly, mostly because I forgot to include a hip measurement the first time.

I sent my measurements as inches, I think, but Ricky might work in cms too. I can't say. Seems like Ricky can do most anything.

I've become quite the acolyte, haven't I?
post #39 of 55
Tips for Jantzen: The sleeves are usually too short at first, and the armholes (and therefore, the upper sleeve circumference) are usually too big. Request armholes to be made tighter than normal.
post #40 of 55
Indeed - quite the acolyte - were you tonsured?
post #41 of 55
I own 2 pairs of calf leather shoes from CT which I am happy with,but my favourite purchases were the cashmere sweaters at 70% off.These are excellent quality and at 70% off amazing value.
post #42 of 55
I'd buy a CT shirt if they had non-iron slim fit. Call me lazy but it sucks to iron, especially when I already own a non-iron shirt.
post #43 of 55
CT shirts were a phase for me. Loved the colours, particularily in the checks. The collars always looked good on me. Always bought them heavily discounted when I was travelling to NYC a lot ($45-50US). But then I tried Jantzen and it was all over once I started to appreciate fit in the shoulders and body.

I still wear my CTs for the above reasons, but won't buy another.
post #44 of 55
The CT shirt that I have shrank from a 15.5" neck down to a 15". I've just ordered another one but this time it's a 16". The gal on the phone said that they do include a shrinkage allowance, but for me it was just not enough.

I especially like the collar style and the fitted body. I also like their quick turnaround. I missed their 1/2 off sale but did get in on their 1/4 off sale. I can't imagine they sell much at full price, given the frequency of their promotions.
post #45 of 55
I am slowly moving to CEGOs and H&Ks, but for some time CTs were my workhorse shirts. They have their shortcomings, but they are pretty good bang for the buck when you catch a good sale.

As far as these shortcomings, most have been touched on above, with the two most prominent being tent like and collar shrinkage. The latter has been a real problem with many of mine. I am a 16.5, and I have measured some of their older shirts in my closet at 15.5. I have used Shirtmavens "edge of table" method to stretch them back out, but usually that only works for a half size or so. The ones that have shrunk more either get donated to an smaller friend or Goodwill.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Charles Tyrwhitt