• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent In-Ear 'phones?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the standard ipod phones are getting uncomfortable after an hour or two so I'm in the market for some self-styled 'in-ear' ones. Nothing outrageously priced. Anything decent for fairly heavy daily use, around 30euro/£25/$40 range. No too bothered about an in-line controller.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
So, the standard ipod phones are getting uncomfortable after an hour or two so I'm in the market for some self-styled 'in-ear' ones. Nothing outrageously priced. Anything decent for fairly heavy daily use, around 30euro/£25/$40 range. No too bothered about an in-line controller.
When I'm working out and don't want to sweat up my custom ones, I use a set of Sony Fontopias. I got them for about $40 a few years ago -- they have a bit more bass than an old pair of Etys I have, but for working out, it's not an issue.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
as per the headphones thread, i bought some Sennheiser cx300s from eBay for like 25 bucks, and I am loving them. Great value for money.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earbuds suck!! My mp3 player is like 4 years old, and has had at least 8 companions. Stick to anything below $10 that looks decent. I will only spend on headphones which are way more durable. Less then a month ago I bought some JBuds, and the left earbud died. Good thing I found a trick to make them work for a while longer. These earbud manufacturers don't know who they're ******* with.
stirpot.gif

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Stick to anything below $10 that looks decent. I will only spend on headphones which are way more durable.

Rubbish! I heartily recommend Shure E2C - they're around the $70/£40 mark but build quality is very high, sound quality is *excellent* and they have rubber squeegees that not only allow them to sit a lot more comfortably in your ear becuase they conform to the shape on your inner ear but also provide very effective isolation from outside noise (and will also allow others not to be disturbed by you).

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$70??? LOL Yeah I am sure seven pair of $10 earbuds won't outlive one $70 pair one... Puh-Lease!
rolleyes.gif

BryanHarig

Reaction score
Yuin Pk3 earbuds are by far the best choice for cheap, tough ear buds that have a good sound. Google will find you tons of reviews on head fi.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$70??? LOL

Yeah I am sure seven pair of $10 earbuds won't outlive one $70 pair one... Puh-Lease!
rolleyes.gif

He's talking of in ear phones not earbuds. And there's no way listening to music with earbuds after having done so with in ears for a while. The difference is just too big. Never ever gonna buy earbuds anymore.

Music quality should be hell of a difference between 10 $ earbuds and 70 $ in ears.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
$70??? LOL

Yeah I am sure seven pair of $10 earbuds won't outlive one $70 pair one... Puh-Lease!
rolleyes.gif

Mine are going on three years.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife bought me the in-ear Bose. I know people here don't think much of them but they are comfortable and miles better than iPod earbuds.

I have used a walkman since they were introduced, later a diskman and then an iPod. I am now paying the price for a 30 year habit of regular headphone listening (probably at too high a volume). I now have ringing in my ears but fortunately only very minor high frequency hearing loss. I now only use headphones at nominal levels.

I never thought it would happen to me but it did. My advice is to be very careful about the volume. It is easy when flying, commuting on a train or working out in a gym to turn it up so that you drown out all background noise. Don't do it. Watch the volume and enjoy your hearing.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like earphones. That said, for use with my new iPhone 3GS, I was sent a pair of Etymotic hf2s. Very good and iPhone compatible. Recommended (this type fits directly into the ear canal and can be unsettling for some, FYI).

darnelled

Reaction score
I love my Shures also. Bought them on Ebay for about 1/2 msrp.

KBW

Reaction score
I don't think my ears are compatible with earphones....my ears always hurt for a while after wearing them and I've tried using several high end versions and none are comfortable

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really use my earphones for working out, so for me its important to have a good fit, but also to have some 'sweat protection'. I am a sony headphone whore ( have been my whole life) so I have been using their sport g2's for a while and I love them. I have probably had 4 pairs in the last 3 years (I break them, not vice versa), they have the actual earphones canted downwards so the sweat drips off rather than funneling into your ear. I read somewhere about some panasonic sport style ones that were a similar style that I would be willing to try. Here is what I have been using http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-As20J...d_bxgy_e_img_b and these are the ones I used to use (which I liked better, but no one carries them (now that I know that amazon has them...) http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J11G-...ref=pd_sim_e_6

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads