or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What are some good brands for zippers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are some good brands for zippers? - Page 2

post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
If you can read my zipper, you're standing too close.

Agreed. I was a couple of inches away from someone's crotch in a slowly moving, overcrowded bus. No reading material, excepting the zipper.
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Agreed. I was a couple of inches away from someone's crotch in a slowly moving, overcrowded bus. No reading material, excepting the zipper.

Inquiring minds must know. What zipper was it!?
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
YKK Group
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


The YKK Group is a Japanese group of manufacturing companies. Founded in 1934 by Tadao Yoshida in Higashi Nihonbashi, Tokyo, it was originally known as San-Es Shokai (サンエス商会). It was renamed to Yoshida Kogyosho (吉田工業所) in 1938, to Yoshida Kogyo K.K. (Yoshida Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha, 吉田工業株式会社) in 1945, and to YKK (YKK Kabushiki Kaisha, YKK株式会社) in 1994. The name YKK was first registered as a trademark in 1946.

Today the YKK Group is most famous for making zippers, although it also does business in other fastening products, architectural products, and industrial machinery.

The zippers that come with RLPL items are oftentimes YKK zippers.

Jon.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Inquiring minds must know. What zipper was it!?

YKK.

That was why I started wondering. Hence, the influence of this forum has made me stare at people's crotches. On buses.

I'll get my dirty raincoat.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You have intimacy problems dude.
That's it, we're breaking up.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
That's it, we're breaking up.

You always say that. Every time you're angry. It hurts you know.
post #22 of 48
Please, you guys, you're frightening the kids.
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You always say that. Every time you're angry. It hurts you know.
When you threw that plate of shrimp in my lap at Red Lobster, in front of my colleagues, it really hurt my feelings.
post #24 of 48
The Riri zipper on my W&H hoodie is pretty sturdy. How much more do you think these premium zippers cost the manufacturers?
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The Riri zipper on my W&H hoodie is pretty sturdy. How much more do you think these premium zippers cost the manufacturers?

I have it on good authority that these zippers can increase material costs upwards of several dollars apiece. Bought at retail, riri zippers cost about $20 apiece.
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame
I'm interested in knowing which companies makes good zippers?

A fair enough , general curiosity question to pose, I s'pose...
But would the name of the zip affect your purchase decision to buy if you liked the garment enough? If you were planning a bespoke item I can understand canvassing opinion in this context, too. But otherwise...?
post #27 of 48
Riri makes great zippers, but so does Lampo. I've got Lampo zippers on jackets from Moncler, leather goods/jackets from Dolce&Gabbana (which I guess means Ruffo uses them), Jil Sander, some of the top-end Prada items, etc.

John
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Riri makes great zippers, but so does Lampo. I've got Lampo zippers on jackets from Moncler, leather goods/jackets from Dolce&Gabbana (which I guess means Ruffo uses them), Jil Sander, some of the top-end Prada items, etc.

John

Lampo and riri zippers are both very good, though riri costs a bit more. Generally, the high end designers specify one or the other to be used. John Varvatos uses Lampo, for example, while Dries van Noten uses riri. Lower on the totem pole, but still good, are zippers by Universal.

Talon zippers are the best heavy duty zippers in the world, ime, but not made anymore. The can add about $25 to costs (per long zipper) if the manufacturer even has access to them.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Talon zippers are the best heavy duty zippers in the world, ime, but not made anymore. The can add about $25 to costs (per long zipper) if the manufacturer even has access to them.

Is that right? I could swear that my EG pathfinder jacket has a talon zipper. Does that mean it's old stock, or a reproduction?
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
Is that right? I could swear that my EG pathfinder jacket has a talon zipper. Does that mean it's old stock, or a reproduction?

Really, I had no idea... The zipper is vintage, then. The jacket is definitely a repro. Daiki likes those a lot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › What are some good brands for zippers?