• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers? Boat shoes? Socks?

Finsen

Reaction score
Hello all, I know we are not supposed to wear socks with boat shoes (I assume it's OK to wear loafer socks as long as they show). This pair of shoes (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=626288) looks like a pair of driving mocs, but the laces make it look like a pair of boat shoes. It appears that I could have no problem wearing it sockless. But would it be a sin to wear socks with it with trousers/jeans? Thanks.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Finsen
Hello all,

I know we are not supposed to wear socks with boat shoes (I assume it's OK to wear loafer socks as long as they show).

This pair of shoes (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=626288) looks like a pair of driving mocs, but the laces make it look like a pair of boat shoes.

It appears that I could have no problem wearing it sockless. But would it be a sin to wear socks with it with trousers/jeans?

Thanks.

It is definitely not a sin or against the law but no nice...
marchal.gif

Reaction score
I love the orange and navy......Oh god please do not wear socks with these. You will have stripped the integrity from the shoes.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing socks with loafers or boat shoes in certain situations / climates.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On some occasions I'll wear socks with loafers, but never with boat shoes.

Finsen

Reaction score
That's why I am puzzled. Those shoes look like a hybrid of driving mocs and boat shoes. The overall shape and look of it (esp the sole) seem to suggest it's a pair of driving loafers, but the laces add the boat shoe element on top. So how can we classify this?

jbmarine

Reaction score
On a similar note, I would love to wear boat shoes sockless, but alas, every time I try it, I end up with a number of blisters. I recently bought some "no-show" socks, but they still show. Any suggestions? (It's also not the size as I went through the sizing with the SA for a good hour lol

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbmarine
On a similar note, I would love to wear boat shoes sockless, but alas, every time I try it, I end up with a number of blisters. I recently bought some "no-show" socks, but they still show. Any suggestions? (It's also not the size as I went through the sizing with the SA for a good hour lol

Band aids and a higher tolerance for pain. Seriously, though, if the shoes are of good quality and fit well, this should not happen after a few wears.

Finsen

Reaction score

What kind of no-show socks are those? Athletic no-show socks don't work very well with boat shoes or loafers since they sit too high.

Have you tried loafer-socks?

identity-x

Reaction score

just how low are they?

you can get the super-low socks that barely come over your toes and barely up your heels from Brooks Brothersr...or, for that matter (and since they won't be seen anyway) from Payless for $3.

deanayer

Reaction score
I wear very low, almost non-existent socks with deck shoes. Underarmor makes ones that wick away sweat and doesn't get clammy and all you can see is just a whiff of the tops above the shoe tongue. I think shoes without socks is a gross, clammy experience that wrecks the shoes and smells terrible over the long haul. There is no crime in wearing ultra-low sport socks with sneakers or deck shoes and I never wear loafers with shorts so I just wear socks to match the pants.

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
loafer socks are very different from no-shows. no shows depending on brand will get pretty low on your ankle. loafers cover your soles, toes, heels and little else allowing you to wear shoes with a much shallower tongue without the socks showing. best with loafer to avoid the feet sweats or other issues you may have. they make sense with loafers, oxfords, etc., but i don't get socks and deck shoes. the shoes are meant to get wet, i'd put that on a par with wearing jockeys in a swimsuit

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear socks if you think your feet might get cold, especially on a boat. It is only necessary to delete socks with loafers when wearing shorts. Little short socks, in all their variations, are queerbait. (Probably something wrong with that...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics