or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 667

post #9991 of 14578
IIRC. my lutheran church always had real communion wine...even for the kiddos (well, or whatever age you have your first one...I think they do it around 5th grade 90% sure they don't wait for confirmation). There was grape juice for the alcoholics, but the normal pours were wine.

Seems legit--considering Jesus died like 2000 years ago, I would kind of expect the blood of christ to have fermented a bit.
post #9992 of 14578
Aren't Lutheran churches pretty close to catholic tho? I wouldn't be surprised. Generally Protestant churches never serve alcohol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My point is I think all of you are talking out of your ass and I get a laugh when you figure your story is more valid than the next guy's. I'm a big believer in whatever it takes to get you through the night, and I'm not criticizing the fact anyone has belief, I'm observing that many of you guys with belief seem to feel your likely story is the best one.

But see your argument would also apply to yourself. If you get a laugh about how other people figure their story is more valid does that mean other people get to laugh on how you figure your story is more valid than the next guy? If we go your route everyone just ends up laughing in derision (because this is what it is) at each other on how their own story is right over others
post #9993 of 14578
Thing I don't get: Needless use of the word so as the first word in a sentence. As in "So I was walking down the street the other day..."

WTF? Are you a standup comedian? Is the word so an indicator which means "wacky adventure to follow"?
post #9994 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Thing I don't get: Needless use of the word so as the first word in a sentence. As in "So I was walking down the street the other day..."

WTF? Are you a standup comedian? Is the word so an indicator which means "wacky adventure to follow"?

It's simple... many people are idiots. Continually saying "like", "I was like, she was like", "um... you know", "yeah, no", blah blah "you know what I'm sayin?" etc. etc. are just examples of people with little awareness of the disconnect between correct use of the language and their own sloppy verbal communication.

I don't get it either. Why do people keep saying "like" ever 3rd word? Why do you find it necessary to end every sentence with "you know what I'm sayin'? Na'meen?" JFC just speak English asshole.
post #9995 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Aren't Lutheran churches pretty close to catholic tho? I wouldn't be surprised. Generally Protestant churches never serve alcohol.
But see your argument would also apply to yourself. If you get a laugh about how other people figure their story is more valid does that mean other people get to laugh on how you figure your story is more valid than the next guy? If we go your route everyone just ends up laughing in derision (because this is what it is) at each other on how their own story is right over others

Lutherans would probably take issue with the idea that they are similar to catholics, but they are a "liturgical" tradition like Anglicans and episcopalians.

I know a lot of the evangelical type churches don't use real wine. But I've had wine at a presbyterian communion before. In fact, I remember being surprised that it was actually kind of decent wine. Lutherans always have this awful sweet wine for sacraments)
post #9996 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post


Protestant hate for alcohol I kind of understand but don't really get.

You're hanging out with the wrong Protestants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


Just the POV of a bullshit heathen but I always get a chuckle when one person that believes in a sky wizard criticizes the sky wizard story of another person.

post #9997 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Cheap rink time. It's why Tim Horton's is so popular.

Wait- Tim Horton's gets more expensive in the afternoon?

post #9998 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Aren't Lutheran churches pretty close to catholic tho? I wouldn't be surprised. Generally Protestant churches never serve alcohol.

lolwut?

You know they are named after Martin Luther right? As in the dude who nailed his 95 theses to the wall of the catholic church and said "fuck da pope"? Kicked off the protestant reformation and got his ass excommunicated.

It's not like I learned this in confirmation class (I went there for the pizza and epic foosball games only)...this all came from history classes.
post #9999 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


lolwut?

You know they are named after Martin Luther right? As in the dude who nailed his 95 theses to the wall of the catholic church and said "fuck da pope"? Kicked off the protestant reformation and got his ass excommunicated.

It's not like I learned this in confirmation class (I went there for the pizza and epic foosball games only)...this all came from history classes.

 

He also wrote a treatise called On Jews and Their Lies.

post #10000 of 14578
lurker[1].gif
post #10001 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

lolwut?

You know they are named after Martin Luther right? As in the dude who nailed his 95 theses to the wall of the catholic church and said "fuck da pope"? Kicked off the protestant reformation and got his ass excommunicated.

It's not like I learned this in confirmation class (I went there for the pizza and epic foosball games only)...this all came from history classes.

i'm not arguing they're the same

i know who martin luther is but the first protestant churches seem pretty similar to catholicism. i've been to lutheran services before and they seemed pretty similar to catholic mass (although it was quite a long time ago) especially in what munchausen pointed out as liturgical services as well as belief in transubstantiation, confession, and absolution

i guess generalizing about protestant churches was wrong. the generalization would apply more to non liturgical protestant churches.
post #10002 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

You're hanging out with the wrong Protestants.

I always figured the protestant work ethic would lead to blue collar worker style drinkin!
post #10003 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I always figured the protestant work ethic would lead to blue collar worker style drinkin!

It does.... just no one admits it.

What's the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist? The Methodist will tell you "howdy" when he sees you in the liquor store.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God. Protestants don't recognize the pope as the Ruler of the Church. Baptists don't recognize each other in a liquor store.

Q: Why do you have to take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?

A: Because if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer.
post #10004 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

But see your argument would also apply to yourself. If you get a laugh about how other people figure their story is more valid does that mean other people get to laugh on how you figure your story is more valid than the next guy? If we go your route everyone just ends up laughing in derision (because this is what it is) at each other on how their own story is right over others

You're making a fundamental error here: I have no story. Also, in the real world? People don't just laugh at each other's stories they kill each other in the millions.

Edit: btw, disclaimer here: I really have no idea my lack of a story is better than the story many of your folks have. Basically, more power to you, I don't look down on you, it's just in my vacuum of belief I cannot see why so many folks criticize other people's stories, which Inde, is what you were doing when I commented.
Edited by Piobaire - 3/6/14 at 2:16pm
post #10005 of 14578
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

lolwut?

You know they are named after Martin Luther right? As in the dude who nailed his 95 theses to the wall of the catholic church and said "fuck da pope"? Kicked off the protestant reformation and got his ass excommunicated.

It's not like I learned this in confirmation class (I went there for the pizza and epic foosball games only)...this all came from history classes.

That's a pretty poor way to frame his point, and it really only works if you take a rigid, rather than fluid, view of "Catholicness."

Lutheranism, being a first stab at Protestantism, is absolutely going to look a lot like Catholicism to people who were raised in a modern Protestant church. I mean, Catholicism was the groundwork from which they were working, and there hadn't been much time for Protestant churches to innovate, so to speak. It's the same reason the first cars produced looked a lot more like horse buggies than a modern Chevy.

So, yeah, it might sound funny to say that Lutheranism is "pretty close" to Catholicism, what with the former being a Protestant denomination and all, but it makes sense from the perspective of someone used to a Protestant denomination that arose many years after the first set of Protestant churches. A lot of the denominations that trace back to the earliest parts of the Reformation are "more Catholic" than much of what's out there today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get