or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 616

post #9226 of 13568
QED

post #9227 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

wasn't the joke for GW bush that he was more eloquent and confident with his speeches in spanish while he bumbled through his regular old english ones?

Lol.
No. Not even close.
post #9228 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

wasn't the joke for GW bush that he was more eloquent and confident with his speeches in spanish while he bumbled through his regular old english ones?

Lol.
No. Not even close.
post #9229 of 13568
One of my favorite jokes of all time is this: "Jean Chrétien is the first Prime Minister who is not fluent in either of the official languages."
post #9230 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

One of my favorite jokes of all time is this: "Jean Chrétien is the first Prime Minister who is not fluent in either of the official languages."

That's very mean. He is a victim of Bell's palsy and therefore has severe ipsolateral facial paralysis and problems with speaking.
post #9231 of 13568
I did not know that; I have a lot of Canadian friends who used to say that joke. I would not have said it if I'd known.
post #9232 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

You do realize that most of the discussion on Chinese these last few pages has been linguistic explanation of why, simply due to the structure of the languages, the idea that Chinese will increase in usage significantly is false, right? Besides the fact that the EU as a unit is the world's #1 economy and the US is #2, Western languages enjoy several major advantages over eastern ones when it comes to usage as the lingua franca. Chinese will never manage to claim that role without China creating a major global empire and forcing it on everyone- and we're at a point in history where that isn't really possible.

No I don't, this is what happens when I sticking into a conversation couple hours later. Though, back to your point, Chinese will not achieve the dominance English has today, but English will not maintain its status quo, that was more or less my point. Also I don't see why Chinese is inherently harder to learn, as a native speaker in Mandarin Chinese I find English immensely difficult when I start to learn them in 7th grade.

Perhaps colonization was a factor for south east Asia, but for us (East Asia, i.e. China/Taiwan/South Korean/Japan), technology and "coolness" was the main reason. We were not forced to learn English because there were some legacy colonial issue, we were learning English because we want catch up to the West, when we don't have to catch up then there will be less of us bother to learn English in the same way most American are not too serious about learning 2nd language. Of course given that globalization is going forward, there will be some common languages, it's just not clear to me why English will stay where it is today when Spanish speaking guys can stay in their market and Chinese speaking guys will stay in their market as each "domestic language" (i.e. people who can communicating well using those language) market is large enough on its own.

In GDP per capita term US will probably still be the top dog in the foreseeable future, but overall economy size wise, China will surpass it in a decade or two decades at the most. I have a lot more faith in the US than I do in Europe, I am not sure how long Europe can stay relevant unless EU as an institution can act like a single voice with the clout of the biggest economy in the world (and that's isn't going to be the case two decades from now either) or a strong arm Germany/French can lead EU into a single direction in some meaningful way.
post #9233 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

That's very mean. He is a victim of Bell's palsy and therefore has severe ipsolateral facial paralysis and problems with speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I did not know that; I have a lot of Canadian friends who used to say that joke. I would not have said it if I'd known.


^this is why there are a lot of super successful Canadians in USA comedy/entertainment industry (when you think about it there are a ton in the highest echelons).
post #9234 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post


^this is why there are a lot of super successful Canadians in USA comedy/entertainment industry (when you think about it there are a ton in the highest echelons).

I disagree: I think it's more like a tonne.
post #9235 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I disagree: I think it's more like a tonne.

i was going to write tonne.... but I suspect candadian comedy writer wouldn't.
post #9236 of 13568
If you read the m4m missed connections of Craigslist be all like "Saw you at the Hustler Club looking hot made me want to 'do it.' You had on jeans I had on a hoodie get in touch we can do it!!!"

But then the w4m are all like "I saw you at the grocery store my heart started yearning of cherish think of the life we could lead to gether you could be the father my children never had (dead beat dad abandon us). You had glasses and a coat. Miss you so much even tho we never talkd."

I think both of those were directed to me why did they think I'd respond well to that kind of notice?
post #9237 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

one of the secretaries here said she doesn't drink wine because she gave her body to Jesus.



her body isn't even that nice.

I don't see how that even makes sense. What does drinking wine have to do with Jesus? Jesus drank wine.
post #9238 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

If you read the m4m missed connections of Craigslist be all like "Saw you at the Hustler Club looking hot made me want to 'do it.' You had on jeans I had on a hoodie get in touch we can do it!!!"

But then the w4m are all like "I saw you at the grocery store my heart started yearning of cherish think of the life we could lead to gether you could be the father my children never had (dead beat dad abandon us). You had glasses and a coat. Miss you so much even tho we never talkd."

I think both of those were directed to me why did they think I'd respond well to that kind of notice?

I actually got a missed connection once. My friend sent me a link and was like, dude this is you, I was with you. Sure enough it was me. I sent the girl a message and she was so weirded out that I saw it she didn't want to meet up.

Why the fuck would she post it then?
post #9239 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't see how that even makes sense. What does drinking wine have to do with Jesus? Jesus drank wine.

You're just not interpreting that correctly. It's a mistranslation and "wine" really was just grape juice.
post #9240 of 13568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

You're just not interpreting that correctly. It's a mistranslation and "wine" really was just grape juice.

Is that true? Also, still. I don't get it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get