or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 575

post #8611 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

When did it become common for people to write "Superbowl" (one word)? And I wonder why people started doing that of a sudden? I don't think people ever write "Rosebowl" or "Cottonbowl."

I've never seen this in reference to the Super Bowl. I do see it where places use "Superbowl" to refer to something that's not actually the Super Bowl (e.g. The Superbowl of Motorsports), but I've always figured that's a copyright thing.
post #8612 of 15115

string theory. and m theory. wtf???

post #8613 of 15115
Yeah, I have never been able to totally wrap my head around it.
post #8614 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

When did it become common for people to write "Superbowl" (one word)? And I wonder why people started doing that of a sudden? I don't think people ever write "Rosebowl" or "Cottonbowl."

If I were to write Superbowl, I would write it Superbowl. I can't remember the last time I ever did. I'm fairly confident I've never even said the words "Rosebowl" or "Cottonbowl", much less written them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

What kind of motorcycle?

Kawasaki Vulcan 750.

post #8615 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

When did it become common for people to write "Superbowl" (one word)?

Probably when they started inviting people to their Superbowl Party electronically. Triple compounds don't look right.
post #8616 of 15115
Had a conversation today with someone I know don't get the person's perspective at all:

Person: I don't know, man, I just have a certain fear of going "in there." (Used air quotes, talking about sexual act.)
L'Inc: Why do you have a fear of that?
Person: I just feel that I will be "reduced" betimes if I go in there too much.
L'Inc: Wait a minute, are you thinking it's like a pencil sharpener?
Person: You know what? Maybe that is what I been thinking.

How does a person think that the sexual act is like using a pencil sharpener? I mean there are some similarities, but no one should draw far-reaching conclusions from them Jiminy Crickets.
post #8617 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Had a conversation today with someone I know don't get the person's perspective at all:

Person: I don't know, man, I just have a certain fear of going "in there." (Used air quotes, talking about sexual act.)
L'Inc: Why do you have a fear of that?
Person: I just feel that I will be "reduced" betimes if I go in there too much.
L'Inc: Wait a minute, are you thinking it's like a pencil sharpener?
Person: You know what? Maybe that is what I been thinking.

How does a person think that the sexual act is like using a pencil sharpener? I mean there are some similarities, but no one should draw far-reaching conclusions from them Jiminy Crickets.
Did they happen to be Indian? They've got some pretty common sexual depletion cultural memes.
post #8618 of 15115
Some Texan kid beat a drunk driving charge that killed and injured 7 people by claiming he was too affluent to understand his consequences. His psychologist called it affluenza. Smh
post #8619 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Some Texan kid beat a drunk driving charge that killed and injured 7 people by claiming he was too affluent to understand his consequences. His psychologist called it affluenza. Smh

I understand the lawyer and psych- they were paid to weasel the kid out of jail. what I don't get is how a judge would find this excuse reasonable.
post #8620 of 15115
Or how it passed a grand jury
post #8621 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Or how it passed a grand jury

Either I'm missing the joke, or I'm missing the serious point. Unless Texas has a particularly idiosyncratic system, grand juries don't pass on the admissibility or viability of the defense arguments. (In many states, grand juries aren't part of the regular criminal process anyway. It's more a characteristic component of federal proceedings.)
post #8622 of 15115
Wouldn't they have to had passed a verdict saying not guilty?

Sorry I didn't mean grand jury. My knowledge of our justice system is very limited

I realized it prolly wasn't a jury trial
post #8623 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Wouldn't they have to had passed a verdict saying not guilty?

My knowledge of our justice system is very limited

Oh, I see. Just a bit of semantic confusion.

The jury that decides a case at trial is actually called a "petit jury" under old legal jargon. A "grand jury" is a bit different -- their role is usually limited to pre-trial proceedings (such as deciding whether or not the government has amassed enough evidence to file a case against the defendant).

From a very quick glance at an article, it looks like the kid was convicted at trial (generally a decision made by a jury, unless the defendant agrees to waive his right to a jury) but given relatively lenient sentence by the judge. With some limited exceptions, sentencing decisions are usually made by the judge, not the jury.
post #8624 of 15115
I see. Thanks for the explanation dad
post #8625 of 15115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

sentencing decisions are usually made by the judge, not the jury.

shit I know more about your legal system than indesertum... suck it boiiiii!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get