or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 561

post #8401 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

This trend of calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a nazi . Do these people even know what a nazi was . There are no more nazis . It is a term for a defunct political party like the Whigs who the fuck goes around calling people Whigs
Stop being such a vocabulary fascist.*







*I do, however, agree with your general point. I was talking to a woman at a party who was relating with relish that everyone in her neighborhood refers to the owners of a local restaurant as "the Breakfast Nazis" because they restrict seating at their tables to people who actually order food. I suggested that "Nazis" might not be the most apt term. She replied indignantly, "well, they're really strict, and everyone knows the Nazis were strict."
post #8402 of 14594
I blame Seinfeld and his soup nazi for the general 21st century bastardization of the term. The soup nazi was strict, but he would have had to actively participate in the systematic extermination of cream of broccoli to earn his title
post #8403 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

This trend of calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a nazi . Do these people even know what a nazi was . There are no more nazis . It is a term for a defunct political party like the Whigs who the fuck goes around calling people Whigs

I feel the same way about the term hater. It is a straw man technique.
post #8404 of 14594
I understand that it has become a term to describe something other than a member of the National Socialist German Workers Party but the fact that for all their endearing qualities they are most remembered for being strict is just kinda weird . Hell the nuns were strict
post #8405 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

I understand that it has become a term to describe something other than a member of the National Socialist German Workers Party but the fact that for all their endearing qualities they are most remembered for being strict is just kinda weird . Hell the nuns were strict

Agreed.
post #8406 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

I understand that it has become a term to describe something other than a member of the National Socialist German Workers Party but the fact that for all their endearing qualities they are most remembered for being strict is just kinda weird . Hell the nuns were strict

calling someone a, let's say, "grammar nun" doesn't have the same ring to it
post #8407 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

calling someone a, let's say, "grammar nun" doesn't have the same ring to it

I think we should start calling them "grammar Celsiusers." (In another thread I learned about people who use a system called "Celsius" to assign numbers to temperatures and who demand that the whole rest of the world follow their system.)
post #8408 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I think we should start calling them "grammar Celsiusers." (In another thread I learned about people who use a system called "Celsius" to assign numbers to temperatures and who demand that the whole rest of the world follow their system.)

I have followed celsius in accordance with our mores and cultura. its also marginally easier to know the freezing point (zero celsius) and the boiling point (one hundred celsius) of water (H20) over that of faahhhrreeenheeeiittt.
post #8409 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post

those are I guess started by 20somethings whose childhood is in the 90s (me included) so basically it's the yearning for the childhood itself because they are growing up now, not the actual 90s

the 90s things that I consume now are the ones with the existential/industrial themes; all this Soundgarden, NIN, Massive Attack, I like em

I'm a member of that generation, and I thought 90's music was pretty much universally crap. Even during the 90s.

But then, I've always been a contrarian.
post #8410 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

I feel the same way about the term hater. It is a straw man technique.

used by idiots... so that explains it.
post #8411 of 14594
People who answer their phone "hello", I also end up asking "Hi this is, I would like to talk to x x", why not save us both some time and learn some basic manners.
post #8412 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

I have followed celsius in accordance with our mores and cultura. its also marginally easier to know the freezing point (zero celsius) and the boiling point (one hundred celsius) of water (H20) over that of faahhhrreeenheeeiittt.
I see that celsiusists and Centigrader apologists have infiltrated more than one thread
post #8413 of 14594
When you go to a restaurant, why do they ask if you've dined with them before? Is there some secret knowledge about the Macaroni Grill that will not be revealed to me simply by reading the menu? Are you concerned it will be repetitive for me if you highlight the scrumptiousness of the Bloomin Onion?
post #8414 of 14594
People lie and say it was good, when it wasn't, if you return it must mean you like it and they won't have to show you the toilet is.
post #8415 of 14594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

When you go to a restaurant, why do they ask if you've dined with them before? Is there some secret knowledge about the Macaroni Grill that will not be revealed to me simply by reading the menu? Are you concerned it will be repetitive for me if you highlight the scrumptiousness of the Bloomin Onion?

If its a tapas place a customer might freak out that they are small plates and come out as fired.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get