or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 440

post #6586 of 14073
How bad we're your suicide rates that a rumour like that could even start?
post #6587 of 14073
wouldn't they'd get the crap sued out of them for that type of policy
post #6588 of 14073
bb collar OCDs are a cm phenomenon
post #6589 of 14073
I would guess it is fairly easy to word it in a non-discriminatory manor; "university policy is to offer the utmost support to those students who express suicidal thoughts. They should be immediately offered a low-workload timetable and be allowed to withdraw from their course altogether, in order that they are free to seek psychological help."
post #6590 of 14073
During a campus tour somebody asked the question if their roommate killed themselves if the would get straight A's. I thought it was hilarious and somewhat foreboding.
post #6591 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

How bad we're your suicide rates that a rumour like that could even start?

I've never been able to find reputable looking statistics on it, but it was always rumored that we had one of the highest in the country. Lots of sheltered Type A kids.
post #6592 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I've never been able to find reputable looking statistics on it, but it was always rumored that we had one of the highest in the country. Lots of sheltered Type A kids.

Doesn't this describe most colleges? I went to a state school (not a top-tier one, either) and there were lots of sheltered neurotic kids, an equal number of lazy underachievers, and very few in between. People mellowed and moved to the middle of that behavioral range as they went through college, though.
post #6593 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

Doesn't this describe most colleges? I went to a state school (not a top-tier one, either) and there were lots of sheltered neurotic kids, an equal number of lazy underachievers, and very few in between. People mellowed and moved to the middle of that behavioral range as they went through college, though.

Yeah, it probably does although I wonder if it's worse at the higher tier schools. Maybe too many people who focused on academics at the expense of personal development or something.

We had one of those "Look how HARD I'M WORKING" cultures. Didn't really even matter if people actually were working all that hard, it just created an environment where everyone assumed you were supposed to be stressed out all the time.
post #6594 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Yeah, it probably does although I wonder if it's worse at the higher tier schools. Maybe too many people who focused on academics at the expense of personal development or something.

We had one of those "Look how HARD I'M WORKING" cultures. Didn't really even matter if people actually were working all that hard, it just created an environment where everyone assumed you were supposed to be stressed out all the time.

let me do some cultural math... was there a lot of asians in your school?

here's something I don't get: I've been to Trader Joe's supermarkets in i think 5 different states and the parking situation is always cramped and stressful.
post #6595 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

During a campus tour somebody asked the question if their roommate killed themselves if the would get straight A's. I thought it was hilarious and somewhat foreboding.

That's an ancient, enduring rumor on pretty much every college campus.
post #6596 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post


here's something I don't get: I've been to Trader Joe's supermarkets in i think 5 different states and the parking situation is always cramped and stressful.

And the aisles always designed so I want to punch stupid people blocking the way.
post #6597 of 14073
can you say "shit" on TV now? because BBC America doesn't bleep it out, but all the American tv channels still do
post #6598 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

There were always rumors that my school used to kick kids out ("encourage them to leave") if they discussed suicidal tendencies with a counselor, in order to manipulate the suicide statistics. I suspect the reality was otherwise.

You think they killed off students who were on the verge of flunking out to manipulate graduation statistics?
post #6599 of 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

You think they killed off students who were on the verge of flunking out to manipulate graduation statistics?

Soyent statistics.
post #6600 of 14073
My neighbor insists on creasing his jeans because he wears them to work on Fridays. It looks so bad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get