or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 437

post #6541 of 10987
Maybe she can get a baller job in HR?
post #6542 of 10987
lol at how she bought into the school's marketing that they were "affordable" despite having 58k tuition (which is absurdly high...but I didn't check the website so maybe that includes room and board figures).

This is just a badly written article I think. Is the story about the student loan rates going up? In that case it wont affect any of the loans she already has and it won't do anything to the private loans that make up most of the 100k she expects to have (IIRC, you can't get more than ~20k in staffords in 4 years).

And its not like the rates are exploding. The rates are just going back to the same rates that two of my loans are at (I graduated in 2009)...pretty normal to have loans come in at different rates over four years.
post #6543 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

WTF is wrong with this girl???

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/19/pf/college/student-loan-debt/index.html?iid=HP_LN

I can't feel sorry for anyone dumb enough to incur that much debt for a bachelor's degree. There are cheaper universities out there. If you can't afford a Bentley, don't buy one.

post #6544 of 10987
her rationalization of it all brings me both pity and anger. It's just another occupy wall street scruffball in the making.
post #6545 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I'm basically trying to book that flight. Actually, I'd prefer Reagan, but Dulles would be OK if it were substantially cheaper. The prices I'm seeing are just a shade under triple that $130 you used to pay, and I have to buy three tickets. ffffuuuu.gif

Depending on where you are going in the DC area, you may want to look into flying into BWI, which is generally much cheaper than flying into Reagan or Dulles. I live in DC, and use BWI for much of my personal, domestic travel. The cost savings may outweigh the longer flight and longer and more expensive transfer.
post #6546 of 10987
I think you people are talking pretty harshly about Conne's future wife.
post #6547 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think you people are talking pretty harshly about Conne's future wife.

sadly, this is something that really does need to be considered in the dating game. Marry her, and you're instantly $2K a month in the red just to support her loan payments, assuming she does the 10-12 year repayment plan. Nearly $40K of that principal will be interest. If she does 20 years, because god knows $2K a month is not feasible for a "human rights activist", double that interest.
post #6548 of 10987
The cost of college tuition is in my mind a big problem, but the examples they pull out always seem to be middle class kids going to insanely overpriced private liberal arts colleges that were created so young aristocrats can hob nob.
post #6549 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

sadly, this is something that really does need to be considered in the dating game. Marry her, and you're instantly $2K a month in the red just to support her loan payments, assuming she does the 10-12 year repayment plan. Nearly $40K of that principal will be interest. If she does 20 years, because god knows $2K a month is not feasible for a "human rights activist", double that interest.

She's either going into governmental or advocacy (read: non-profit) work so really does she not just have to make the minimum % of income payments required for 10 years and then it's all forgiven?
post #6550 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

The cost of college tuition is in my mind a big problem, but the examples they pull out always seem to be middle class kids going to insanely overpriced private liberal arts colleges that were created so young aristocrats can hob nob.

Definitely. There's a problem there, but that doesn't give people carte blanche to act like irresponsible idiots. If you can't afford it, regardless of whether or not it is "too expensive", don't go.

This girl is an idiot. It would be one thing if she had racked up that kind of debt to go to MIT or Stanford and come out as an immensely hireable programmer... It's another to do it with no defined benefits or plan where she maybe wants to become a "human rights activist" (speaking of--is that even a thing outside of independently wealthy philanthropists?).

Ask her again in 10 years if she thinks the "small class sizes!!!11!" were worth it.
post #6551 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

She's either going into governmental or advocacy (read: non-profit) work so really does she not just have to make the minimum % of income payments required for 10 years and then it's all forgiven?

i don't know how this works, if I'm honest. According to the articles, only $12K of that will be from the government, the rest private banks, so I have a feeling the "does not apply here" will come up.
post #6552 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i don't know how this works, if I'm honest. According to the articles, only $12K of that will be from the government, the rest private banks, so I have a feeling the "does not apply here" will come up.

Ah, yeah, you're probably right.

This just triggered a thought though. This loan forgiveness is like the tax credit on Prius: a tax break for middle classed liberals. I mean, what type of college educated person is most likely to work for 10 or more years in government or the non-profit field?
post #6553 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Definitely. There's a problem there, but that doesn't give people carte blanche to act like irresponsible idiots. If you can't afford it, regardless of whether or not it is "too expensive", don't go.

This girl is an idiot. It would be one thing if she had racked up that kind of debt to go to MIT or Stanford and come out as an immensely hireable programmer... It's another to do it with no defined benefits or plan where she maybe wants to become a "human rights activist" (speaking of--is that even a thing outside of independently wealthy philanthropists?).

Ask her again in 10 years if she thinks the "small class sizes!!!11!" were worth it.

MIT, Stanford, and the Ivies have extremely generous financial aid programs, most having been implemented in the last few years. See: just after my graduation year ffffuuuu.gif (ok, it didn't matter for me in the end).

Most say if your family income is below $65K or $70K or something, you pay nothing at all to attend. Up to incomes of $150K, you pay roughly 10% of the income. Above that, and I think there's some other type of gradient. Furthermore, most Ivies with match the aid packages from other Ivies (plus usually MIT, Stanford, Duke).

It would be fairly hard to rack up that much debt from a top school unless your parents are fairly wealthy and give you NOTHING for college. Unfortunately, this does happen.
post #6554 of 10987
Something doesn't compute though - the article says her dad is in the CHP. Doesn't seem like she's in the "aristocracy".

Still an idiot though. Maybe one reason she's in liberal arts is because she's terribly poor at math
post #6555 of 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

You may already know this, but if you're headed into DC, factor in the much higher ground transportation costs from Dulles in the decision if you're tempted to go there vs Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Depending on where you are going in the DC area, you may want to look into flying into BWI, which is generally much cheaper than flying into Reagan or Dulles. I live in DC, and use BWI for much of my personal, domestic travel. The cost savings may outweigh the longer flight and longer and more expensive transfer.

laugh.gif

This is kind of funny quoted back-to-back.

I looked into BWI, but I'll be staying in Alexandria and probably won't bother renting a car. I'm heading up for my brother's wedding, and everything is supposed to be happening close enough together that it won't warrant renting a car. My understanding, and I'm definitely willing to be told otherwise by folks who know better, is that this would make BWI impractical and not worth the savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

She's either going into governmental or advocacy (read: non-profit) work so really does she not just have to make the minimum % of income payments required for 10 years and then it's all forgiven?

Gome's correct. She'd be forgiven on her Stafford loans, but nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Ah, yeah, you're probably right.

This just triggered a thought though. This loan forgiveness is like the tax credit on Prius: a tax break for middle classed liberals. I mean, what type of college educated person is most likely to work for 10 or more years in government or the non-profit field?

mad.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get