or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 409

post #6121 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Why most men have absolutely atrocious taste in ties confused.gif

I blame the sales assistant at department stores and the fact that most of them are 12 and know nothing about taste.
post #6122 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Why most men have absolutely atrocious taste in ties confused.gif
+1. Just saw a presentation by a guy wearing a hideous tie, just hideous.

I think many ties are selected for men by woman.
post #6123 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

I think many ties are selected for men by woman.

lol8[1].gif I have a spreadsheet of acceptable ties I made for my wife (that she then sent to her mother) in case anyone ever wanted to buy me a tie.
post #6124 of 12653
I have a google wishlist with things like my favorite boxer briefs, and undershirts in case my mom or g/f wants to get me a gift they won't make a huge mistake and buy me a tie, or shirt.
post #6125 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I have a google wishlist with things like my favorite boxer briefs, and undershirts in case my mom or g/f wants to get me a gift they won't make a huge mistake and buy me a tie, or shirt.

Yeah, I basically told them not to buy me any clothing items because I'm too picky about it. They insisted (and some things do make good gifts as they are right in that sweet-spot price wise), so I made this spreadsheet so there could be no confusion. It actually has worked pretty well--just have to remember to keep it updated.
post #6126 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

+1. Just saw a presentation by a guy wearing a hideous tie, just hideous.

I think many ties are selected for men by woman.

I think there's a lot of truth in this. For some reason, many women vastly overestimate their understanding of menswear.

That said, I think a lot of posters believe that the only ties that demonstrate good style are the kind that are featured in the soporific tie thread.
post #6127 of 12653
I've said it before and I will say it again; women like things that "pop". Whether that is by color, texture, shape, doesn't matter. If it is noticeable they like it. Generally this means bad taste and incongruent.
post #6128 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Why most men have absolutely atrocious taste in ties confused.gif
This reminds me of the awful trend (at least in my city) of wearing a tie clip/bar as high as possible.
post #6129 of 12653
I don't understand why people wear tie clips at all.
post #6130 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I don't understand why people wear tie clips at all.

I hate my tie flapping around, and I walk a lot. So, it's mostly a functional thing.
post #6131 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

I hate my tie flapping around, and I walk a lot. So, it's mostly a functional thing.

Doesn't your coat hold your tie roughly in place? Or do you sometimes not wear a coat when you're wearing a tie?
post #6132 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Doesn't your coat hold your tie roughly in place? Or do you sometimes not wear a coat when you're wearing a tie?

I don't always have my coat buttoned. My clip is a small brushed steel clip that I wear just about my stomach, so it's not gawdy in any sense.
post #6133 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

I hate my tie flapping around, and I walk a lot. So, it's mostly a functional thing.

So button your fucking jacket you sloven fop.
post #6134 of 12653
I spend a good deal of my time moving and folding cloth and other detritus. A tie clip helps keep things tidy. I also find that it allows you to kind of force a slight protrusion in the top of the tie, a la RLPL.
post #6135 of 12653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

I spend a good deal of my time moving and folding cloth and other detritus. A tie clip helps keep things tidy. I also find that it allows you to kind of force a slight protrusion in the top of the tie, a la RLPL.

The technical term for this is "tie boner".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get