or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 339

post #5071 of 14047
JAB actually likes to compare their shirts to BB's.
post #5072 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Call me crazy, but I have much less hate for JAB than most on here.

Their stuff is actually not that horrible, is of higher quality than other mass-marketed tailored men's clothing where ppl would normally go for that sort of thing (e.g. Men's Wearhouse), remains relatively true to the more classic tenets of men's clothing (meaning not getting as trendy as some others), and provides generally solid value for the average, non-SF suit wearer. For my friends who want an interview and wedding suit that's not going to fall apart and might have them looking relatively decent and don't care about the SF minutiae, JAB is actually a pretty solid recommendation. Of all the MC mass-marketers, JAB is probably the most SF compliant.

I went into my local JAB over Xmas as they had a sale on cotton boxers made from shirtings. I looked at their sports coats and saw a couple with pretty nice material and patterns. The problem was center vent and this stuff that looked like heavy gauge monofilament fishing line they had used in the shoulder construction with an end sticking out. Things like the lapels and lack of ticket pocket I could overlook for the price but those two things I could not.
post #5073 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Why people always say, after winning something, that it's "humbling."

At some level, I suppose I kind of understand how if you win Wimbledon once and you're now in the company of all the greats who won Wimbledon, maybe it's kind of humbling. But even then, it's a shitload more humbling to be the guy you just beat.

What really triggered this was Shaun White saying it's humbling to have won six X Games golds in superpipe or whatever they call it. How is that humbling at all? You're the winningest guy, like, probably ever in this crap. There's no humility to be found in winning it again. Do you know what the word means, or are you just saying it because that's what you heard some Wimbledon champ say?

Oh, and since we're on the topic.......

X Games.

Lol. Humbler.
post #5074 of 14047
I think they are fine for what they are. My boss wears a lot of their stuff and looks good in it. I think it is one of the only places he can find clothes off the rack though because he is a very big and tall man.
post #5075 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Call me crazy, but I have much less hate for JAB than most on here.

Their stuff is actually not that horrible, is of higher quality than other mass-marketed tailored men's clothing where ppl would normally go for that sort of thing (e.g. Men's Wearhouse), remains relatively true to the more classic tenets of men's clothing (meaning not getting as trendy as some others), and provides generally solid value for the average, non-SF suit wearer. For my friends who want an interview and wedding suit that's not going to fall apart and might have them looking relatively decent and don't care about the SF minutiae, JAB is actually a pretty solid recommendation. Of all the MC mass-marketers, JAB is probably the most SF compliant.

i think back in the day jab was bal'mor-only? confused.gif the shirts were very nice (ocbd) w/ a slightly reduced 'roll' to the collar that made them, to my mind, preferable to bb

of course roomie was a greyhound, so you know he had good taste!
pluck the eagles! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #5076 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post

i think back in the day jab was bal'mor-only? confused.gif the shirts were very nice (ocbd) w/ a slightly reduced 'roll' to the collar that made them, to my mind, preferable to bb

of course roomie was a greyhound, so you know he had good taste!
pluck the eagles! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I've scrounged up some vintage JAB stuff that is quite nice.


The shoulders on their suits were the killer for me (when I was in grad school and looking for a decent cheap suit). I couldn't find any size that didn't have shoulder dimples, and their salespeople didn't seem to think it was an issue.
post #5077 of 14047
lol how the fuck do you know that shit?

Yeah, JAB is a local firm. B-more pride! They're def. not the place they used to be.... probably not as great for the SF set but I imagine far more lucrative for the shareholders.
post #5078 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

JAB actually likes to compare their shirts to BB's.

I have a few JAB shirts I picked up not long ago, I can't compare them to the BB I have but now that I'm hearing this I should probably start breaking them in to see how they compare. Especially since I'm also breaking in some BB OCBDs as well at the moment.
post #5079 of 14047
I have never worn anything from brooks brothers.
post #5080 of 14047
I am a fan of BB's shirts. The luxury cotton made in USA ones, anyway.
post #5081 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I have never worn anything from brooks brothers.

That's kinda impressive, really. Not even an OCBD?
post #5082 of 14047
I tried some golden fleece polos. Was not a fran. Armholes were all wrong and did not like the material after a few washes.
post #5083 of 14047
BB shirts suffer from American sizing. Well, I get all my shirts tailored anyway so I don't see much of a point in buying a bunch of adequate shirts that cost $60 and having them tailored for $15-$20. Besides, the sizing is usually so wonky that the tailor needs to chop them to pieces anyway. Just not worth it.
post #5084 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

BB shirts suffer from American sizing. Well, I get all my shirts tailored anyway so I don't see much of a point in buying a bunch of adequate shirts that cost $60 and having them tailored for $15-$20. Besides, the sizing is usually so wonky that the tailor needs to chop them to pieces anyway. Just not worth it.

I've never had a problem with their slim fits. I will say I wish the collar points were a bit longer so they rolled better.

Anyways, if I had to have them tailored, I probably would skip them too.
post #5085 of 14047
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

BB shirts suffer from American sizing. Well, I get all my shirts tailored anyway so I don't see much of a point in buying a bunch of adequate shirts that cost $60 and having them tailored for $15-$20. Besides, the sizing is usually so wonky that the tailor needs to chop them to pieces anyway. Just not worth it.

TMI, bro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get