or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 252

post #3766 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post

Just watched Un Chien Andalou... I really liked the cuts of the jackets but I'm having a hard time understanding how I'd explain that look to a tailor.

Oh well.


And the cut of the eye?
post #3767 of 15110
I'd recommend handing over a large amount of drugs and some melted sheers for him to use.
post #3768 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I've never seen that in the US.

This was at the Skyline in NYC about 8 years ago. Was an inventory of things the room, bedding, towels, table lights, TV, etc, all with prices. Contents of the minibar was listed separately. Saw it at a Holiday Inn in Boston as well, a special Lodgenet hotel STB remote with a price moulded in the plastic by the manufacturer. You can't use it for anything else, it's not worth stealing. Also a "$20" hair dryer with the cord firmly fastened to the wall, couldn't unplug it. I thought it was unusual, that's why I remembered it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Never seen a hotel room with condoms for that matter.

I'm in China. At this very moment I'm looking at 2 instant beef noodles, 1 packet of cookies, 2 cans of Tsingtao beer, 1 bottle of red wine, 1 small bottle of baijiu, 2 bottles of mineral water and 1 packet of "featherlite" condoms. But there's no Gideon bible though.
post #3769 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

They add price tags to things they'd prefer guests not take home with them (towels, sheets, etc.). Minus minibar items of course. So it's meant to act as a reminder to guests that they'd be charge for them if the items go missing.

I figured it could be something like that. Like everything in the room is for sale.
post #3770 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

And a trouser press? I don't think I remember ever seeing one in a hotel room.

I've certainly seen them many times in the UK, always a Corby, and at a Holiday Inn in Boston, MA. I think it might be one of those facilities and services that they have to provide, to differentiate between say a "**" 2 star and a "***" 3 star hotel, in the UK at least. Never seen a trouser press in a Chinese hotel room though, maybe I'm not staying in the better, more expensive hotels? The travelling exec has to keep his trousers looking nice and pressed. smile.gif
post #3771 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

I figured it could be something like that. Like everything in the room is for sale.

No, they aren't for sale. It's supposed to be a deterrent.
post #3772 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

I figured it could be something like that. Like everything in the room is for sale.

No, they aren't for sale. It's supposed to be a deterrent.

At W Hotels, pretty much everything in the room is for sale, including the bedding and mattress.

The Hotel Max in Seattle has vibrators for sale in the mini-bar.
post #3773 of 15110
Local TV was supposed to have me on it this evening, instead they had something about a glorious new baozi factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

At W Hotels, pretty much everything in the room is for sale, including the bedding and mattress.
The Hotel Max in Seattle has vibrators for sale in the mini-bar.

I seem to remember the Skyline in NYC listing items of hotel room furniture for sale, including beds, desks, tables and chairs. It was a very comprehensive inventory/for-sale list.

I've not seen vibrators in a mini-bar yet, disposable razors, yes.

BTW...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-bar
Some hotels offer non-food items, such as socks, toiletries, and condoms.
post #3774 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

I figured it could be something like that. Like everything in the room is for sale.

It is why Strauss-Kahn got caught...

He thought the maid was part of the room's deal.
post #3775 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Something I've only ever seen in US hotels. Why do they always seem to put prices on everything in hotel rooms? Even a special Lodgenet hotel only TV remote, had "$30" moulded into the plastic, as well as a trouser press which was firmly fixed to the wall. Made it seem like everything in the room was part of the minibar, along with the beer, wine and condoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

And a trouser press? I don't think I remember ever seeing one in a hotel room.

I've certainly seen them many times in the UK, always a Corby, and at a Holiday Inn in Boston, MA. I think it might be one of those facilities and services that they have to provide, to differentiate between say a "**" 2 star and a "***" 3 star hotel, in the UK at least. Never seen a trouser press in a Chinese hotel room though, maybe I'm not staying in the better, more expensive hotels? The travelling exec has to keep his trousers looking nice and pressed. smile.gif

I think in fictional writing this is referred to as a break in continuity.
post #3776 of 15110
Friend invited himself to a birthday dinner and now he's giving me shit because we split the bill and he had to pay part of the dinner for a guy (birthday dinner recipient) he's only met a few times. I don't particularly feel bad but it's annoying he's complaining now
post #3777 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think in fictional writing this is referred to as a break in continuity.

So that's how it goes. Watch this space.
post #3778 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Friend invited himself to a birthday dinner and now he's giving me shit because we split the bill and he had to pay part of the dinner for a guy (birthday dinner recipient) he's only met a few times. I don't particularly feel bad but it's annoying he's complaining now

I hate misers.
post #3779 of 15110

Mainlanders in HK! Like they make sense in China, but wtf happens to them when they get over here? 

Also: 21 year old Korean girls having a 10 pm curfew ...

post #3780 of 15110
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolixity View Post

Mainlanders in HK! Like they make sense in China, but wtf happens to them when they get over here? 

It depends on how drunk they get, and how rich they are.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get