or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 247

post #3691 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post


This is a bit of an overreaction. What's with the hate toward vegetarians? Believe it or not, it is possible to have delicious meals sans meat and not feel like anything's missing.

Is it possible to have a delicious steak, salami or piece of fish if you are a Vegetarian?

 

If not, then that is what is missing.

post #3692 of 13220
Twitter. I seriously do not understand its popularity.
post #3693 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

This is a bit of an overreaction. What's with the hate toward vegetarians? Believe it or not, it is possible to have delicious meals sans meat and not feel like anything's missing.

don't think its an overreaction, and please don't force your advocacy to everyone, specially if you're not footing the bill, and don't go tweeting something that you know will create a negative reaction and then act like a surprised martyr later on.
post #3694 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

one of my best friend's brother is gonna get married early next year, and being that I am very close to their whole family and they treat me like a son/brother I am expected to be in attendance. then the future bride-bitch-not sure if marrying into money suddenly tweets that her wedding reception (easily a 400 guest affair, mostly from the groom side, being held in the groom's family's estate) is gonna be a vegetarian affair.
told my friend that I won't be attending, or I'm showing up but I'm gonna be in a corner grilling burgers dammit.

This is a bit of an overreaction. What's with the hate toward vegetarians? Believe it or not, it is possible to have delicious meals sans meat and not feel like anything's missing.

I have nothing against vegetarians of vegans, do whatever makes you happy.

I do have a problem when they tell me I should feel bad for killing animals, this also applies to animal lovers who get but hurt when someone does something to a dog or cat but are unaffected when the same thing happens to a duck or squirrel. GTFO with that shizz.
post #3695 of 13220
Can we all agree that if anyone says their are a vegan they should not be allowed to post Yelp reviews?
post #3696 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

don't think its an overreaction, and please don't force your advocacy to everyone, specially if you're not footing the bill, and don't go tweeting something that you know will create a negative reaction and then act like a surprised martyr later on.
Unless your friend said to you in person "God is such a bitch, she just made it so that we aren't having any meat." then all you have to go on is speculation. Hence, overreaction. That said, if she's a vegetarian and he isn't, it does make more sense to split it and offer both. But I have a very strong feeling if both people were vegetarian you and gort and your ilk would still be bitching and taking up arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

I have nothing against vegetarians of vegans, do whatever makes you happy.
I do have a problem when they tell me I should feel bad for killing animals, this also applies to animal lovers who get but hurt when someone does something to a dog or cat but are unaffected when the same thing happens to a duck or squirrel. GTFO with that shizz.
I'll assume you were speaking in general terms and not pinning this on me because I don't do that nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Can we all agree that if anyone says their are a vegan they should not be allowed to post Yelp reviews?
This I'm unaffected by, who the hell reads Yelp?
post #3697 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Can we all agree that if anyone says their are a vegan they should not be allowed to post Yelp reviews?
This I'm unaffected by, who the hell reads Yelp?

I think I looked at Yelp three times in the last couple of years but I've recently turned to Yelp as a guilty pleasure. Reviewers are just so stupid. Favorite one so far was a one star review because on her second visit to a place the soup du jour was not the same. facepalm.gif

laugh.gif

I mean, how stupid can you be?
post #3698 of 13220

I gotta say, I hate me some preachy assholes in either direction. 

 

If you don't wanna eat meat, don't, but don't make other people give it up.

 

If you wanna eat meat, do, but don't make other people eat it.

 

Thats kinda like only serving pork and clams when your Jewish inlaws come over, after going to their house and demanding bacon.

 

 

I'm just saying, whether its the wife or maybe a good friend or relative of hers that can't abide the sight of meat, its not gonna hurt you to not eat meat for one day. I understand why you're pissed that one person dictates the whole event, but there's no need to escalate. Just eat a cheeseburger before and after.

post #3699 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Another question is why so many vegetarians try to have meat emulated for them.
I'm not trying to slam the concept of being a vegetarian. Some people have food allergies, I can see the case for health based vegetarianism...it's just that it seems to me people that trumpet the fact they are "vegan" (I quote because I think a goodly number of self-proclaimed vegans really do not understand all that entails and do not truly eat vegan) are more passive aggressive attention seeking than anything else. I notice those with food allergies, a real commitment to the health aspect, etc. usually just quietly make their way and appreciate any efforts to help them.

Don't get this either. I was a fairly strict vegetarian for 18 years, but I always stayed far away from most forms of faux meat. Tofu corn dogs were / are my guilty pleasure but they're not actually emulating meat anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post


one of my best friend's brother is gonna get married early next year, and being that I am very close to their whole family and they treat me like a son/brother I am expected to be in attendance. then the future bride-bitch-not sure if marrying into money suddenly tweets that her wedding reception (easily a 400 guest affair, mostly from the groom side, being held in the groom's family's estate) is gonna be a vegetarian affair.

told my friend that I won't be attending, or I'm showing up but I'm gonna be in a corner grilling burgers dammit.

Are you paying for the meal? If not then STFU and eat what they give you.
post #3700 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam O View Post

I gotta say, I hate me some preachy assholes in either direction. 

If you don't wanna eat meat, don't, but don't make other people give it up.

If you wanna eat meat, do, but don't make other people eat it.


Thats kinda like only serving pork and clams when your Jewish inlaws come over, after going to their house and demanding bacon.


I'm just saying, whether its the wife or maybe a good friend or relative of hers that can't abide the sight of meat, its not gonna hurt you to not eat meat for one day. I understand why you're pissed that one person dictates the whole event, but there's no need to escalate. Just eat a cheeseburger before and after.
The blatant hypocrisy of people that do stuff like this is what gets to me more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Don't get this either. I was a fairly strict vegetarian for 18 years, but I always stayed far away from most forms of faux meat. Tofu corn dogs were / are my guilty pleasure but they're not actually emulating meat anyway.
I eat stuff like mock duck, tofu, etc. somewhat often. It's A: a great source of protein, and B: a substantive part of many meals. For example, I can't imagine what a Thai curry dish would be without some sort of tofu, etc.. it would take a lot to be filling.
Quote:
Are you paying for the meal? If not then STFU and eat what they give you.
nod[1].gif
post #3701 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Why is it that ALL tv channel have to do 24/ coverage of the Olympics.

Because there's nothing else to cover.
post #3702 of 13220
Holy fuck - a good friend invites you to his wedding, and you refuse to go because they decide not to serve meat?

It's their wedding. It's their day. They can choose their meal, and a friend would celebrate with them whatever they chose.

I don't consume meat or other animal products. But I have been to several weddings with ham on the bone and no vegan options except bread and salad. I don't kick up a fuss or complain. I eat beforehand and afterwards and keep a smile on my face throughout. It's their day, and no one gives a fuck if I don't like their choice of food.

Same should go both ways.
post #3703 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post

one of my best friend's brother is gonna get married early next year, and being that I am very close to their whole family and they treat me like a son/brother I am expected to be in attendance. then the future bride-bitch-not sure if marrying into money suddenly tweets that her wedding reception (easily a 400 guest affair, mostly from the groom side, being held in the groom's family's estate) is gonna be a vegetarian affair.
told my friend that I won't be attending, or I'm showing up but I'm gonna be in a corner grilling burgers dammit.

Don't let the meal selection be a determining factor to go or not go to a wedding. There's at least two reasons to go...Booze and Chicks! Seriously though, even if you don't like the bride, you should go to be there for your "other" family. Not going can put a strain on your relationship with them.
post #3704 of 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Are you paying for the meal? If not then STFU and eat what they give you.
You shouldn't make guests at your wedding miserable. A vegetarian wedding would almost be as bad as a dry wedding imho.

I went to a wedding last year for two vegetarians but they served meat because they knew everyone would want it. They did manage to sneak in some preachy smug remark on the little menu cards about their views on food, though.
post #3705 of 13220
I think some of you are forgetting where Acid is. He's in the Philippines. Celebrations are really, really about food there and celebration food means meat. Longanisa, lumpia (with meat)...a nice crispy lichon...I'm hungry just thinking of it. Also, sounds like she's a bit of a bride-zilla so this might not be viewed as context neutral by folks close to the situation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get