or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 1458

post #21856 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Never thought about it before, but does the 401k cap include the employer match? I'd assume it does. I'll be pretty close to that next year, need to check on this...
Yes, it's a cap on contributions, whatever the source.
post #21857 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Never thought about it before, but does the 401k cap include the employer match? I'd assume it does. I'll be pretty close to that next year, need to check on this...

$183,000 AGI is pretty decent if you've already maxed out your 401k.

 

No.  There is a separate cap.  Your total cap is $53k, but your personal contribution cap is $18k.

http://www.401khelpcenter.com/2016_401k_plan_limits.html

post #21858 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Never thought about it before, but does the 401k cap include the employer match? I'd assume it does. I'll be pretty close to that next year, need to check on this...

$183,000 AGI is pretty decent if you've already maxed out your 401k.

Well, it's not that simple for some. Many organizations have a majority of lower paid workers so this means "top hat" tests come into play. If you get deemed a highly compensated employee, and your organization fails the top hat test, you're fucked again.
post #21859 of 24155

post #21860 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


Well, it's not that simple for some. Many organizations have a majority of lower paid workers so this means "top hat" tests come into play. If you get deemed a highly compensated employee, and your organization fails the top hat test, you're fucked again.

 

Well, start paying your people a living wage, Pio!  #CEThatShit

post #21861 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Well, start paying your people a living wage, Pio!  #CEThatShit

Needless to say Mrs. Piob's new gub-mint job, with a fancy gub-mint 457 plan, was an attractive feature for us. On top of her DB plan that the gub-mint funds 85% of she can put 18k a year into the 457.
post #21862 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Needless to say Mrs. Piob's new gub-mint job, with a fancy gub-mint 457 plan, was an attractive feature for us. On top of her DB plan that the gub-mint funds 85% of she can put 18k a year into the 457.

The politically connected keep getting richer.
post #21863 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Needless to say Mrs. Piob's new gub-mint job, with a fancy gub-mint 457 plan, was an attractive feature for us. On top of her DB plan that the gub-mint funds 85% of she can put 18k a year into the 457.

If only Mrs. Piob were actually a man, the gub-mint would fund the full 85% instead of 65%, post-haircut for being a woman.

frown.gif
post #21864 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Do capital gains go towards your AGI?


Also, hasn't HRoi made posts mentioning or implying he has kids?  Maybe I'm confusing him with another poster now...

I'm pretty sure he's dat DINK.
post #21865 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post


I'm pretty sure he's dat DINK.



Maybe I just misinterpreted this post:
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Maybe this is a Florida thing but there are all these cars now with a "salt life" window sticker. Am I entitled to use this sticker if I go to the beach a couple of times a year and I have a couple of body boards in the garage for the kids?
post #21866 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post



Maybe I just misinterpreted this post:

 

WTF mind = blown

I have literally never ever seen a reference to kids from him.
post #21867 of 24155
This probably ties to my Korean roots, but how Americans say "so and so died" when someone they know passes away. "Died" makes it sound.. I dunno.. kinda cold? Just very matter-of-fact. I guess there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but in Korean culture, there's this mood of sorrow and, respect, to an extent, in the way they mention someone's passing. It's hard to explain.

Does anyone else feel like the tone of "____ died" is significantly different compared to "_____ passed away?"

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I think @indesertum will know what I mean.

/morbid
post #21868 of 24155
The church I attend uses "falling asleep" or "born into eternal life". I just prefer "passed". "Died" does seem rather cold and although I do use it sometimes, it would never be for someone I knew personally. Weird huh?
post #21869 of 24155
Cardiac output = 0
post #21870 of 24155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

This probably ties to my Korean roots, but how Americans say "so and so died" when someone they know passes away. "Died" makes it sound.. I dunno.. kinda cold? Just very matter-of-fact. I guess there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but in Korean culture, there's this mood of sorrow and, respect, to an extent, in the way they mention someone's passing. It's hard to explain.

Does anyone else feel like the tone of "____ died" is significantly different compared to "_____ passed away?"

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I think @indesertum will know what I mean.

/morbid

You mean how in Korean you say went back for passed away?

Isn't died also too direct in English?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get