or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 1411

post #21151 of 24064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I put him in the RIP thread a few days ago. It was all over a Scottish newsite I frequent and I was more than a passing RJD fan.

I don't think I've even visited that thread. I will have to check it out.

It's super lame, but the main reason I never got into RJD back in the day was...I didn't like his hair. I thought the combination of long curls in the back and receding hairline made him look like an angry metal Weird Al. I did appreciate the super-low-quality special effects in his videos on MTV, though.
post #21152 of 24064
Yeah, some metal videos from the 80s were of painfully low production quality and had super cheesy, 13 year old boy type writing to boot.
post #21153 of 24064
It's that season of NFL championship football game to where I see 75% (approximate measure) of my FB friends be refer to the Superbowl. I don't understand this at all I mean like even a little bit why did people start rendering it as one word? Do people write "Fiestabowl" or "Cottonbowl" and suchlike?

And how come my Canadian friends never write Greycup?
post #21154 of 24064
Adult colouring books. Why do I think the main consumers, outside of Millennials of course, will be women of a certain age with fibro?
post #21155 of 24064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Adult colouring books. Why do I think the main consumers, outside of Millennials of course, will be women of a certain age with fibro?

My GF got one from her brother I believe.

I was really disappointed when I found out that adult coloring books aren't actually just NSFW coloring books.
post #21156 of 24064
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

My GF got one from her brother I believe.

I was really disappointed when I found out that adult coloring books aren't actually just NSFW coloring books.

I just did a quick Google and got this:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/make-sure-to-warm-up-adult-colouring-isnt-for-cowards/
Quote:
The primary consumers are middle-aged and older women who find delight or tranquility in colouring between the lines.

snip

some people colour precisely to manage pain. Titles like Color Therapy: An Anti-Stress Coloring Book are popular among people with fibromyalgia...

and this: http://www.kansas.com/entertainment/arts-culture/article25606177.html
Quote:
For Peggy Ford of Wichita, daily coloring sessions are a strategy for dealing with her fibromyalgia, a medical condition characterized by frequent, widespread pain.
post #21157 of 24064
I could see using an adult coloring book maybe once or twice before setting it aside forever. It looks like it might be fun for a short period of time. I don't even have fibro, although I might develop it from too much coloring. I hear that's a fibro trigger in adults of a certain age.
post #21158 of 24064
Wait, they're not books where you color pics of genitalia with hilarious shades?
post #21159 of 24064
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Wait, they're not books where you color pics of genitalia with hilarious shades?

Unfortunately, I just learned that Google is your friend if that is what you seek.

*shudder*
post #21160 of 24064
Alright, I know the northerners tend to unfairly shit on their further south neighbors over snow shutting things down...I get that it is safer and easier to close shit for a day or two when you get a bunch of snow rather than have a fleet of plows...

But wtf DC? I'll give you Friday, but you had a whole weekend and all of Monday to figure this shit out. Now it is Tuesday and the FCC is still closed (along with every other government agency I assume).
post #21161 of 24064
I took two things away from this:

First, never mind the Red threat - all it takes is two inches of snow to shut down our Federal government

Second, the frequency of these shutdowns (happens every time there's a bit of snow), coupled with the fact that no one seems to care, shows how non-essential the Federal government is to running this country
post #21162 of 24064
Two feet of snow is a little more than a "bit."


DC has the worst traffic in the country, so any kind of disruption turns it into a catastrophe. A bunch of roads are "clear" right now, but they're basically one lane. Rush hour would be hideous like this, the backups from the surface streets would end up on the highways and it would all grind to a halt. If anything, it's just a sign how saturated the transportation system around here is and how much it needs improvement.
post #21163 of 24064
Yeah, but to Hroi's point...

If the work all of those federal offices are doing is so dang important...why can't they manage to get suitable infrastructure/transportation in their own damn back yard?

Like...if Atlanta can't push some snow off the streets and Ed can't get to work, who cares. Atlanta averages under 3 inches of snow per year over separate days of snowfall. Most of that probably won't even stick, so its not crazy to just not bother buying anti-snow equipment.

But the nations capital gets a big snow storm and shuts down? I mean, DC gets a decent amount of snow every year. It may be 1/3 of what Chicago gets, but they still average over a foot every year. I'll give them quitting early the day of the storm and shutting down the next day (even Chicago does that sometimes)...but it's now Tuesday and its not even cold outside.

edit: and FWIW, my friend's parents and brother in the DC area are both at their private sector jobs despite taking ubers since they can't get their cars out. And my DC area clients all seem to be responding to emails...seems to be just government agencies that can't be bothered to work.
post #21164 of 24064
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

If the work all of those federal offices are doing is so dang important...why can't they manage to get suitable infrastructure/transportation in their own damn back yard?
Because the feds won't spend money on it and the localities can't afford it, mostly.
Quote:
But the nations capital gets a big snow storm and shuts down? I mean, DC gets a decent amount of snow every year. It may be 1/3 of what Chicago gets, but they still average over a foot every year. I'll give them quitting early the day of the storm and shutting down the next day (even Chicago does that sometimes)...but it's now Tuesday and its not even cold outside.

edit: and FWIW, my friend's parents and brother in the DC area are both at their private sector jobs despite taking ubers since they can't get their cars out. And my DC area clients all seem to be responding to emails...seems to be just government agencies that can't be bothered to work.

The feds are the single biggest employer in the area, so whether they come in or not has a huge effect on traffic. It can be an issue of public responsibility, keep that 15% of cars off the road so you don't wreck traffic for the whole region when conditions are marginal.


Also, a lot of feds telework, so they're still doing stuff from home anyway.
post #21165 of 24064
I have a friend that works for the Feds. She works in a department that issues grants to do with Obamacare compliance. I swear she puts in about 20 hours of work a week and bitches about every one of them. Potluck lunches and leaving early seem to take up more of her time than actual productive labour.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get