or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 1383

post #20731 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Thing I don't get: A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook about how proud she was of her husband because he did some five-day survival thing. Being the outdoorsy sort, I'm down with this, at least conceptually.

The part I don't get is how spectacularly irresponsible he was on his adventure. He and some friends went into Death Valley with almost no gear (just what he could fit in a pack), no communications equipment, and only a vague idea as to location.

Oh, and they didn't bring any water.

This is a guy with a business, a wife, and a preschool-aged kid. I get pushing yourself, I really do, and I'd love to do a backcountry trip sort of like this. However, I don't get the logic that says going into a hostile environment while self-imposing pretty much the worst case scenario is even remotely a good idea (or something that should be lauded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Always bring the gear in case you need it. Make the goal not to use it. Anything else is definitely foolish. 

That does seem pretty irresponsible. I love backpacking but I always make sure I've got what I need (truly need). It's fun to try to start fires without matches/lighter and do other survival-y things to develop new skills, but intentionally creating a real survival crisis just seems foolish to me.
post #20732 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Since when did "wearing a hoodie" become a euphemism for getting tea bagged?

Heh.
post #20733 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Heh.

post #20734 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post


That does seem pretty irresponsible. I love backpacking but I always make sure I've got what I need (truly need). It's fun to try to start fires without matches/lighter and do other survival-y things to develop new skills, but intentionally creating a real survival crisis just seems foolish to me.

 

It reminds me of Billy Badasses who would leave their cot in the barracks when we went to the field. Inevitably it would rain and they'd be fucked and I would laugh at them. 

post #20735 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Always bring the gear in case you need it. Make the goal not to use it. Anything else is definitely foolish. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post


That does seem pretty irresponsible. I love backpacking but I always make sure I've got what I need (truly need). It's fun to try to start fires without matches/lighter and do other survival-y things to develop new skills, but intentionally creating a real survival crisis just seems foolish to me.

Exactly. If you want to do it all the hard way so you can say "I never touched that bottle of water in my pack, and the satellite phone was never turned on," that's great, and I get it. However, eschewing even basic preparedness just to say you did it is McCandless-level foolhardiness and extremely dangerous.
post #20736 of 24091

but Bear Grylls does it! 

post #20737 of 24091
Best part of that scenario is all the taxpayer dollars spent on helicopter searches and shit once the bad stuff happens
post #20738 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Best part of that scenario is all the taxpayer dollars spent on helicopter searches and shit once the bad stuff happens

Apparently some states and counties have passed laws that allow recovery/collection efforts against the person being rescued. I wonder how often they actually collect.
post #20739 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Thing I don't get: A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook about how proud she was of her husband because he did some five-day survival thing. Being the outdoorsy sort, I'm down with this, at least conceptually.

The part I don't get is how spectacularly irresponsible he was on his adventure. He and some friends went into Death Valley with almost no gear (just what he could fit in a pack), no communications equipment, and only a vague idea as to location.

Oh, and they didn't bring any water.

This is a guy with a business, a wife, and a preschool-aged kid. I get pushing yourself, I really do, and I'd love to do a backcountry trip sort of like this. However, I don't get the logic that says going into a hostile environment while self-imposing pretty much the worst case scenario is even remotely a good idea (or something that should be lauded).


Ugh, and of course when they get stranded they expect someone to come airlift them out. I loathe those people.
post #20740 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

Ugh, and of course when they get stranded they expect someone to come airlift them out. I loathe those people.

Another f..... family man..
post #20741 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

but Bear Grylls does it! 
In his hotel....

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-20/bear-grylls-admits-some-substance-to-hotel-fakery-allegations
post #20742 of 24091
Thatsthejoke.jpg
post #20743 of 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Best part of that scenario is all the taxpayer dollars spent on helicopter searches and shit once the bad stuff happens

Leave them and give Darwin the points.
post #20744 of 24091
Yeah, man screw his children and wife. Let's score one for social Darwinism instead!
post #20745 of 24091
I remember an episode of Survivor Man (Les Stroud, our local Canadian version of Bear Grylls) far up north in the woods where he was acting out a plane crash with a broken arm but after 2-3 days he said yeah you know what I'm actually starting to get into real danger here so I'm not going to play this broken arm thing anymore, it's hard enough to survive for a week here as it is. Great show IMO, and different to Bear because Les is actually out there alone with his own cameras and has to survive for the week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get